rodentraiser

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by rodentraiser

1. Hey, CJ! You know, I do almost the same thing as your dog when I have to use the bathroom at night. But it's not because of snow. It's because of an ice-cold toilet seat.
  2. That was the long answer. The short answer to your question was: Yes. LOL Ask me the time and I'll build you a clock.
  3. It's sort of hard to explain. I'm going to make a bump out on the living room wall and put a large window there, so I can't put a fireplace there. The bump out isn't going to be set back - it will be just a continuation of the front wall, like I'm extending the living room an extra 2 inches. Now, normally I'd make the bump out set back because extending that wall is going to look weird. But here's what I'm thinking: If the fireplace goes into that corner (with the extended wall) and the flue is inside the house, then the chimney can come up and out of the roof of the bump out and go up along the side of the house, sort of like Brae's does. So from the outside of the house, you'd see just a thin layer of bricks on the front wall and on the side wall and the chimney going up the side wall. Thing is, I've never seen the outside of a house with a corner chimney or a chimney with the flue on the inside and I don't know if, when you put the flue of a chimney inside the house, if there are bricks or stone or what have you on the outside of the house. Does that make sense? This could all be solved by putting the fireplace against the front wall and putting the flue and chimney on the outside, but that takes room away from the porch and then I have that dormer window to contend with again.
  4. Pffffttt. Every dollhouse I've had gets blooded at one point or the other. You guys ain't said nothin' about slivers from wood now.
  5. I had cleaned up my shed in anticipation of Lisa bringing over her huge dollhouse. I was very happy that everything fit but then realized the next day that I left two bikes out. So today I went out and rearranged the shed yet again and this time brought the bikes in. Lisa is sort of downsizing and brought over some tubs of miniatures she's letting go. Naturally, I am the world's biggest miniature hoarder (I think) and I just went through both tubs and kept just about everything. So tomorrow I get to go out and rearrange the shed again to fit the tubs back in. Plus she left me about 100 magazines. I don't even know where...
  6. Problem is, I eat when I'm bored. So now I eat AND I buy dollhouses? And they took me off Percocet because they said it was addicting. HA!
  7. I was thinking those were closets and the doors on them were so we could see inside. Although I was wondering at first why there was a cage in two rooms. Think what you could do with that. On second thought, maybe I wouldn't clean it up and it could be an Adam's family house.
  8. How does this happen? Three years ago the only things I managed to save were my miniatures and my magazines because they were in tubs, and one dollhouse which was completely wrapped in the box (which I had to sell). I had to get rid of all my other room boxes and dollhouses, so I had nothing. Today I have a bashed New Orleans, a Simplicity with two additions, a Heritage, two Franklin townhouses, and a huge English house. Are they breeding? And I still want a Chantilly and a Beacon Hill. Wait - two Beacon Hills.
  9. They said barring anything that would knock it down...I bet the last three weeks of rain would have qualified to do that. I hope someone took it in.
  10. Fov has got me thinking of a corner fireplace again. I really like the way she put hers together.
  11. I love that house, although I'd clean it up a lot and redo it. I wonder how you get into the front rooms like the dining room. It's old, though. I see a lot of Millie August wallpaper and wallpaper I don't even recognize.
  12. Hey guys! I have Lisa's large house for sale. This is a typical English style house that opens in the front. It's huge. There are four rooms, two each on either side of a center hallway with a staircase, on each level. The house has 3 levels, so twelve large rooms. Then the roof lifts up and there are four rooms off a center hallway there. And finally there is a basement with another four rooms on either side of the lower hallway. So the house has five center hallways and twenty rooms total. It also comes with a custom made base on wheels. The house has two wide curving staircases leading up to the front door and comes with large arched windows for the first floor and square windows for the 2nd and 3rd floors. This house will need a van or a truck to transport and at least two, preferably three, strong people to lift it. I'm located 90 minutes from Seattle, WA. Lisa delivered it to me earlier today and it's in my shed right now. IF it ever stops raining here, I'll go out tomorrow and measure the house and the rooms, and if I can figure out how to put pictures here, I've got a couple I can post. Kelly
  13. That so sucks. I absolutely hate digital magazines.
  14. I have this one by Bodo Henning but it's 4 inches wide. I finally found a stove to fit it, but I'm not sure it will fit in the Heritage I want to build.
  15. Dollhouse Miniatures in the US is no longer published?
  16. A little pricey, but I like the 50s vibe and it could be repainted. Plus everything opens and there's a rack inside the oven. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1259897039/dollhouse-miniature-gas-oven?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=miniature+corner+fireplace&ref=sr_gallery-8-3&frs=1&cns=1&edd=1&sts=1&organic_search_click=1
  17. Hmmm. I'm still rethinking this one. Maybe I'll have a fireplace in the front and jog the chimney over to bypass the dormer window. Seems like the easiest way.
  18. Emily, this is a Franklin stove: That's an electric one but they started as wood burning stoves. I would be putting brick under it and up the wall if I put one in the house. I do like the idea of making a corner fireplace though. Here's what I can't find a picture of: the outside wall of a corner fireplace. I need to know how it looks on the outside. I should probably tell you guys what I'm doing. I have a Duracraft Heritage and I plan to put the staircase in the center of the house, if I can get it to fit. If you've seen Brae's Haunted Heritage, that's what I'm shooting for. Thing is, the staircase I want to use will take up too much room in the living room, so I want to bump out the outside wall 2". Because I want to use the circlehead window from the bathroom in this wall, the fireplace can't go there. Then I thought about putting the fireplace in the front of the room, taking out that front window. Thing is, the chimney would go right up through the dormer. Then I thought of splitting the dormer in two, one half on each side of the chimney, and putting a quarter circle window in each half. The dormer is in the bathroom and is so low normally that it wouldn't make sense to put a tub there. But if I split the window and put in higher quarter circle windows, there's enough room to put a tub right across that window and who wouldn't want to take a bath in a tub where a warm chimney is in the wall? But I can't imagine how that would look and I'm not sure there's room for that. Besides, the dormer sort of makes the roof part on the house. It's cute where and how it is. So my next step would be to make a corner fireplace. The front of the living room is 6" across. I would continue that wall 2" out to make my bump out. If I put a corner fireplace in the front against that jog, it would have to be no more than 2" on each side to fit into that corner. But I just can't figure out how the chimney would go up the corner of the wall. I've been looking for pictures but all I get when I google are inside pics of corner fireplaces. With a Franklin stove, I thought I could just turn the stovepipe to go up the outside and that would be that. I love your link, though, and now I'm back to wanting a fireplace. But then I found this and now I don't know what I want: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1362936901/12th-scale-dollhouse-fireplace-log?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=miniature+corner+fireplace&ref=sr_gallery-1-37&cns=1&organic_search_click=1 Yeah, leave it to me to make something easy into something so difficult. Shannon, I'm glad you said that about the doors. I was afraid the doors would be oversize. The windows will look oversize but the one in the living room is the only one I think I would need to worry about. It would need to be cut down but then I could use trim to make it a tall French window. The only other windows are the kitchen window and the one next to the front door. The others are in the dormers. Holly, I don't think the wallpaper or carpet is going to be a problem. More likely, the things I put on tables and shelves will look out of scale. I know I will have to change some of the patterns of the chairs though, especially the dining room chairs. They come in red velvet and that's a bit much for me. I want a French house, but not that kind of French house!
  19. You think I should go get it? I always wanted a HIghland to make into a Southwest Spanish adobe house. But it'll cost more by the time I get done putting gas in the car there and back. lol Did you see the shipping on that RGT Queen Anne you posted? How did they expect to ship two boxes for $8.94?
  20. For a while there were Walmer skylights for sale on eBay. I haven't seen them recently but keep checking there. Something may come up. The house was originally a Walmer house, so their skylights should fit.
  21. About 3 summers ago, I ended up with a Batrie/RGT New Orleans dollhouse. I used the porch and extended the living room and that gave me room for a center hall with a curving staircase. I have pics on my phone but honestly, trying to email them to myself is like herding guppies. So one day, when it ever stops raining or blowing or sleeting or snowing or flooding (we've had all that in two weeks), I'll take my camera out and take real pictures of it and post them. I plan on making it into a French house. As soon as I can afford it and I can find one, I plan on buying a Petite Princess/Princess Patti kitchen set. I've lusted for that for as long as I can remember. I already have a nice bathroom set to go in the house. That leaves the bedroom, living room, and dining room. So here is my question: what do you guys think of furnishing those three rooms with Petite Princess furniture? I know it's only 3/4 scale, but it might work. I'd love to see the piano in the living room. Of course, this is if I can afford that furniture as well. My second question is a little different. I've been trying to find a corner fireplace. That's a lot like herding turtles. So I'm now thinking of a Franklin stove. If I had a fireplace, I'd put my set of poker, brush, and tongs in front of it. Would those look out of place next to a Franklin stove? I'd really prefer a fireplace but trying to decide where to put it in the Heritage living room is driving me bonkers. I've spent half the day on eBay and Etsy and I have a headache. Plus I've bookmarked a million things I want to buy.
  22. Here's an Artply Highland for a ridiculously low price. Looks nicely put together, too. https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tag/7571022779.html
  23. I was just excited and happy for you.
  24. I finally got into town today after almost two weeks of being snowed in. My little area outside looks like a tornado hit it. As soon as the snow is gone, I'm going to drag my canopy over to the cemetery (where I throw everything that needs to be carted off to the dump) and then I'm going to check out my arbor and see if it's salvageable. The snow was piled high on my plants and I threw out a ton of birdseed on it. Today I noticed that the snow has all melted (on the plants - my yard and driveway still have a ton of snow) and the seed is now lying on top of the dirt. Guess who's gonna have a million little bird seed plants growing next spring.