The Happy Gardener

Silver Member
  • Last visited

4 Neutral

About The Happy Gardener

Profile Information

• Interests
    Tons of interests...I'm a Nurse Practitioner at all times; I have two huge perennial gardens I manage from April to November, I love reading Fantasy Science Fiction, and I go my Beacon Hill Dolhouse from my sister several years ago and just finally decided to pull it out of the box and have a go at it....during whatever spare time I can manage.

Previous Fields

• Real Name
    caritas
  • Country
    United States
  1. The Happy Gardener

My Beacon Hill

The first dollhouse I've ever done, complete with lighting, siding, wallpaper, and tons of experimental hours figuring out how to do what when and how.
  2. I just want to let you know how much you encourage me every time I read your blog. I'm still way back on the Beacon Hill but we're making progress. Just finished putting the carpet band on the First Floor stairs and it looks wonderful. My assistants are busily painting popsicle sticks to do the parquet floors and in ten years we might get it done. But you are a marvelous source of encouragement, suggestions, ideas. Love to watch you work. Have a marvelous day. The Happy Gardener
  3. Yeah!!! you get 100% plus on these rooms. I just got my Beacon Hill walls finally up and glued. Seeing what you've done especially with the floors really is an encouragement to keep on going. I love these rooms!!!
  4. I just want to cheer you for your wonderful blog on the Beacon Hill. It's a New Year and I'm finally goign to get serious about finishing the one I started last year. But your blog has been a real inspiration to me. Hope I can do as well with putting everything together...espcially the trim and painting it correctly. I wish you the best on your next one. Again thanks fo ryour blog and all you references. Happy New Year.
  5. ;) Oh, you sure do give me courage to keep on going. And bless you for all the little hints. I'll try to remember them when I get as far as you are. I'm just beginning to glue the foundation. I've a long way to go.
  6. :popcorn: What a bummer!!! I agree with Kathie. Confrontation isn't easy. I dont' do good at it either but I like the way Kathie put it. It wasnt' what you were looking for...so when can you return it. Good luck.
  7. Hi Missy, I have the templates finished. Now I just need to know where to send them. If you could email me your address, I will send them to you via snailmail. Send your name and address and I will ship them off to you as soon as I get home. Hope they work for you Probably will need a little adjustment but they all seem to fit my ceilings okay. Good luck with them. Happy redoing.
  8. Well, I'm on my way to getting a digital camera!!! I WILL be able to post pictures. My sister (from whom I got the Beacon Hill) has a spare digital she's not using. So once I get it, and learn how to use it...I'll see what I can start posting. Two colleagus jsut spent the morning sanding all those little decorative pieces. They were so proud to tell me they were "Done"...and then I offered to mix up the wood sealer so they can get started on taht delightful project. We've got a bag of spaghetti for putting the small pieces on to dry. Love that suggestion. We'll see how it works. Happy Building!! :o
  9. The Happy Gardener

Closet.

;) Greetings. Just took time out to run thru your blog...again!!! and I'm fascinated by the closet door. Anyway, I think it's the clsoet door. Whatever..I'm just interested in the HOW you did a "pin-hinge" door. What did you do or how do you make the doors to swing with just pins? I'm interested in trying the same. Thanks. The house is beautiful. Love to watch how others put the thing together. Fascinating. Lots of good dieas, advice. Thanks for sharing. ;)
  10. Hi Dalton. I did a search on Hobby Lobby shops in Louisiana. None in new Orleans but there are two in Baton rouge and several other cities in your state...if you can get to one of them. they do have a nice beginner's electricty kit. And, if you're cheap like me, I watch our newspaper and every other week there's a 40% off coupon on any iten not on sale. You can get the kit for 40% off...makes it about $20. Good luck finding.
  11. B) These are all great welcomes. Thanks so much. I'm beginning to realize...I better dig up a digital camera. I'll have to go visit a few of my colleagues who have them. Back to work! :lol:
  12. I think I should have done this weeks ago but wasn't sure "how". I'm from Manitowoc, Wisconsin....on Lake Michigan, just south of Green Bay Packer territory. My sister GAVE me the Beacon Hill kit several eyars ago when she decided (after making oen dollhouse) that she'd never get a second one done. The kit sat in the garden shed for several years. Then suddenly this January we decided a new project was needed for whatever spare time we have (minimal). So "we" are a group of Nuns...better known as Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity. Most of us are teachers...I'm a full time adult nurse practitioner and director of a private health clinic we have for our 360+ sisters. I say I'm a nurse by day and a gardener by evening and an avid reader of Fantasy Science Fiction by night. Somewhere in between I sleep. There are 5 of us working on the Beacon Hill: I'm the "Organizer", Sr. Caritas Marie loves to cut out the pieces, Sr. David Marie and Angela are the sanders, and Sr. Pat is presently "observing" bu has volunteered to paint when we get that far. I'm "obsessed" with the dollhouse...and spend hours into the night surfing this website for ideas, tips, suggestions, pictures. Doing this is absolutely fascinating and reminds me of high school days when I worked with my brother building model airplanes. I love working with the wood. So it is with great delight that I'm here...for as long as it takes us to build this house.
  13. I like that idea of marking the wallpaper where you want light to go. Also marks where the tape wiring is. Thanks for the tip. I'm tryign to get as many ideas of how, what, where to put electric tape. Every little bit helps.
  14. :groucho: WOW!! I'm encouraged. You've done a marvelous job for a first time dollhouse. Hope mine looks as good.
  15. Hi Susanne, way up in Canada. I'm suppose to be working out in my gardens...but I'm obsessed with the Beacon Hill and can't stay away from anybody mentioning it. So...you need templates. The first thing I did when I started working on this project...I made templates of all the floors, walls, ceilings. SO...you need...I have. I'm sure I can find time to trace them and send them your way. I've no idea what postage will be. If you want to pay for postage, the rest is all gratis. So I'll see what I can do. How soon do you need them? And where do you want them sent? Good luck redoing it. Tiem to go check on my seedlings. I'm an avid multi tasker!!!