shamrockgirl18

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by shamrockgirl18

1. Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the links. It doesn't really look difficult to do, but since I've never done it before I just wanted to see what was involved. I am thinking of buying a primrose kit and doing stone work on the outside. . .I know exactly what I want to do with it, but I won't give anymore details until the project is underway.
  2. Anyone know of a really good tut for finishing the outside of a dh using egg cartons? I'd love to try using them to make a stone finish, but I'd hate to dole out the $$$ to purchase a new kit just to mess it up. I have never tried this method before. I'd love a detailed tut with lots of pics. When I started making my Little Mermaid grotto, the link to someone's (don't remember whose it was- sorry) pirate cave roombox helped me ALOT because it showed the whole process of how to make 'rocks' from newspapers wadded up topped w/ spackle and plastercloth and paint. This is really a sickness- I am still finshing the grotto, I need to landscape the Little House log cabin as well as Queen Mab's retreat, and yet I am still thinking ahead to starting a new house???!!!
  3. I worked on this project all weekend! I remembered that I had a dcorative birdcage that I'd used for a Halloween decoration. I got it out and repainted it. I lined the inside with moss, and decorated the outside. The fairy hang-out is also a windchime and makes lovely tinkling noises when it moves. Rosetta sits inside with a cup of tea and a plate of sweets, and I swear she actually looks happy. Here's the pics: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=6207
  4. shamrockgirl18

Fairy House for Rosetta

I found a Rosetta (one of Tinkerbell's friends from the Disney Fairies franchise) porcelain doll at Salvation Army for 50 cents. She was in a poor state, so I decided she needed a makeover and a new house.
  5. From the album: Fairy House for Rosetta

the silver birdhouse is embellished with flowers and butterflies and old jewelry. Wind chimes are on the bottom and make a nice tinkling noise, like fairy speak. ;)
  6. From the album: Fairy House for Rosetta

hanging out in her little house
  7. From the album: Fairy House for Rosetta

It was painted black and used as a Halloween decoration
  8. From the album: Dorothy's House

had to buy some special spray paint that adheres to plastic so I could paint this brick road (intended for Christmas village scenes)
  9. shamrockgirl18

Snow White

From the album: Birthday Treat

in front of her home
  10. I think that while it may not be universal, it's very common. It starts with a doll, and then this doll needs friends, and they all need a house, and then I feel like I am excluding other toys so I start finding teddy bears and troll toys, and then the bears and trolls need friends and houses, etc . .it quickly spirals out of control. I have a whole lot of the Calico Critter animal figures that have been needing a home for a while now, and everytime I see them staring at me from the shelf, I feel guilty. Is that weird?
  11. Yes, I suffer from "Velveteen Rabbit" syndrome. I cannot stand to see a toy that has brought, or has the potential to bring, joy and comfort to a child left abandoned and lonely. I love to take old toys that are broke or worn and give them a new chance at life. I once found a teddy bear, torn seam from seam, in the trash pile at a flea market. I took him home, sewed him up with my little DollarStore needle and thrread, and I could not believed how great he looked! Here he is: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=88189 By the way, "Velveteen Rabbit syndrome" makes it nearly impossible for me to watch Toy Story 3 without tearing up.
  12. shamrockgirl18

Other Creative Endeavors

stuff I have made or altered for creative experiments. . .
  13. From the album: Other Creative Endeavors

I found this handsome guy in the dirt outside the auction house! When I found him, his head had come off and both of his legs were ripped open. I took pity on him and packed him up. When i got home that day, I took out my little dollar-store sewing kit and set to work. I re-attached his head, closed up his legs and all the other little tears he had. Look how nice he turned out! I know he was probabaly thrown away because he was all torn, but are people now-a-days too lazy to even do a little sewing to restore a beautiful teddy bear? I'm not a great seamsstress myself, but hey at least I am willing to try!
  14. Yesterday I bought the beginning of a new project at Salvation Army. For 50 cents, I got a porcelain Rosetta doll. Rosetta is one of Tinkerbell's friends in the Disney Fairies franchise. She was abandoned in the toy section, and the fingers on one of her hands are broken, and she has some marker spots on one of her legs. I decided that she deserves a make-over and a new life. She is much bigger than 1:12 scale, but smaller than 1:6 scale (and has diff. shape/proportions). Nevertheless, I'd love to make her a little 'house'. I am thinking perhaps one of those decorative birdcages, and then adding lots of crystals and faux flowers to it? Maybe hanging some stuff off the bottom of the birdcage to make a fairy hut windchime, with the inside of the cage as her home? I found a pic of the doll online and put it in my gallery in case you want to see what she looks like: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=88188 But imagine her with missing fingers, missing hair flower, and marker on her legs.
  15. shamrockgirl18

Rosetta

From the album: Other Creative Endeavors

I found one of these porcelain Disney Fairy dolls for 50 cents at the thrift store. She's had a rough life it seems, so I think she deserves a make-over and a little place to call her own.
  16. I'd love to do this as a decoration for my library! What is the easiest way to make a hollowed out space ina book? I just tried a razor knife, but it only does a few pages at a time, and I picked a nice thick book so that will take forever. Suggestions?
  17. I know that Dolls House Emporium used to have a boy doll named Bertie the Elf who wore a little green outfit. I went to the website recently to do a price check on him (to see if I can justify buying him) and he wasn't there anymore. Is anyone else familiar with this doll? Does anyone have any info on how long he's been gone, or anyway I might be able to find him? I tried looking on Ebay but I didn't have any luck. I was hoping to use him as inspiration for a new scene.
  18. From the album: Ariel's Grotto

here you can seee the side that are not yet painyed. The parts that are still white are going to be painted like rock, and then I'll add seaplants (like aquarium ones) to the sides as well.
  19. From the album: Ariel's Grotto

just wanted to show what the grotto is constructed from- styrofoam and floral foam, crumpled up paper, and then plastercloth on top.
  20. shamrockgirl18

Flounder

From the album: Ariel's Grotto

"Don't be such a guppy!"
  21. From the album: Ariel's Grotto

since I haven't yet found a good Prince Eric statue, I decided that Ariel would have a framed 'painting' of him in her grotto
  22. MissElle, You're a genius! She DEF needs a chocolate fountain. Right now I am trying to lose weight and lower my cholesterol so I can't indulge in some of my fav foods . I guess I'll have to live vicariously through Queen Mab.