• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Two
  • Real Name
    Linda
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

595 profile views
  1. Thank you all for the comments. After you look at something for a long time it's hard to see it with fresh eyes, but everyone here is very nice about helping each other with suggestions and comments. Thanks......
  2. Here are my stairs after installing the handrail. I took the advice to go with the more sensible design, just for realism.
  3. BrookwoodWorker

Beachfront Brookwood

Current work on the Brookwood with a swinging single guy in mind.
  4. Deb, I've spent a drunken night or two in some strange places, but I can honestly say never on a pool table. I do remember thinking how cool and good the tile on the bathroom floor felt on my cheek a few times, but that was many years ago.....ah, for the naivete (ignorance?) of youth......
  5. So we did these floating stairs this weekend. They still need to be tinkered with to get a better edge line on them, but what do you think so far? I'm just assuming the guy who will live in this house isn't a serious drinker and won't fall off the edge of the stairs since I did not install a handrail. Think it needs one on the wall side of the staircase?
  6. So I popped this open and saw your comment Miniwendy and just kind of giggled..thanks that made me smile. Of course the dog pic helped too.....
  7. Thank you Havana, I'm trying to do something different for each room. I get tired of the wallpaper and you always have to think ahead for any electrical problems and access, so it's kind of limiting. I have some fairly unconventional ideas for some other walls in here!
  8. I tried to submit this in the tutorial section, but I couldn't get it to submit for me. So in the spirit of sharing ideas, I'll post it here and hope that an admin will help me out. I found some large beads at Michael's that would aesthetically fit my beachy-Brookwood. I used my Dremel with a very small drill bit attachment and began drilling out the center hole to fit the GOW bulb that I was using. It's very slow going, very fragile work, but it can be done and I did three hangin lamps this way. After drilling the bead, I used a small circle of wood, carved it done to the appropriate sixe and used that for the cap on the light to hold my GOW bulb in place. Just a touch of glue to seal it in case a replacement bulb is needed in the future.I did lengthen the wires on the bulb. I originally bought 8" wire lengths on the bulbs, but needed longer. I used the heat shrink electric covers for the spots where I attached the extensions, kind of pricey, but sometimes you need the wires to remain small and taping them is too bulky. I cut appropriate lengths of hollow aluminum tubing with my X-acto saw to prevent the tube from collapsing. Apply gentle pressure on the aluminum when cutting and allow the teeth to do the work. That way you will not collapse the tube. I painted the tube and slipped the wires through, cut another wooden circle and painted all the hardware black. Wait until you are completely done with cutting and putting the pieces together to paint as it will easily chip otherwise. It probably cost about $4.00 per light. (After counting out the three broken beads that I lost in the learning curve... If you have any questions, just PM me and I'm glad to help any way I can.
  9. Excellent idea with the styrene tubing. I'm going to see if I can find it anywhere locally and try playing with it. Thank you for sharing your success, it's a beautiful bed!
  10. BrookwoodWorker

Animal Lover

All my critters.......
  11. OK, so I figured out how to insert....obviously....duh......LOL
  12. These are the two walls in that strange sort of half room behind the chimney, above the kitchen in the Brookwood. What do you think? Does it work or is it too much? This is the area where the red hanging lights will be going down the staircase, three of them installed at the same angle as the stairs as they go up. Don't know if you can see the one light I have installed, but if you enlarge the pic maybe you can. The latest pics are in my Brookwood album, I haven't figured out how to insert the pics into the thread. I managed it before a a newbie, but haven't messed with it since. Anywhoooo...looking for some opinions here...too much? not enough? too red for lamps? Wait, is my waffling showing? LOL
  13. My best tip is to search thrift stores/yard sales for old broken glass bead necklaces. You can get them pretty cheap and they can be ground out to make lovely hanging lamps. My most valued piece of equipment is my opti-visor with max magnification....:lol:.....it always makes it easier when I can see things. LJ
  14. That's a beautiful Brookwood! I love seeing how creative and resourceful everyone is on here. I'm inspired whenever I see such careful and detailed work as this house, just beautiful!
  15. At first my "female eye" wasn't sure about the redness of the light, but I think it will integrate once I get the rest of the room done. The wall coverings and such hopefully will absorb some of the red hue. At least, that's what I'm thinking.....