• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Two
  • Real Name
    Jeri
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

2,342 profile views
  1. Do you have an X-acto saw? You can get an X-acto saw and miterbox, or an EZ Cutter at almost any hobby shop. The EZ Cutter is the the best for this task. It's not a cheap tool, but the time and effort it saves makes it worthwhile.
  2. Oh, that is so sad. I had placed an order with them last month, this explains why it hasn't arrived.
  3. You Greenleaf Christmas village is charming. You should be proud of yourself!
  4. Ok, I'll chime in on this one! My sweet little Boone (black & white dog in my avatar) was born deaf and has irregular pupils, which limit his vision. Since I can't use voice commands with him, I use visual commands--which must be greatly exaggerated due to his limited vision. The command for "outside" and "come" are the same. It started out as waving my arms and bouncing up and down. In time this evolved to a sort of dance. After awhile, Boone took to ignoring the dance if it wasn't enthusiastic enough. Some days, only the wildest, stupidist looking dances will do. These moods generally occur when I'm in full view of the neighbors. Makes me wonder who is training whom.
  5. This is adorable! My cousin made her son a wolf suit like the one Max wears in Where the Wild Things Are!
  6. I've never been to the Studebaker's store, but have purchased from them at the Tyson's Show. The most recent show was this past weekend. I really, reallt want one of Bill's cellar doors for my bungalow, but at $130, it's too rich for me. There are more affordable items at the Studebakers', including their lumpy bed mattresses, very nice vintage furniture, and vintage fabric and trims. Here's a link to their website: Studebaker Miniatures edited to give NEW website link: Studebaker's new online store!
  7. Yep, it's easier to wallpaper and do siding before the windows are in. The window and door frames will cover any mistakes in fitting! As for flooring, I do hard surface flooring before wallpaper, carpet is the last thing I do before furnishing.
  8. In the Washington DC area, there are several Michaels. The hutches are still there, but the selection seems a bit thin compared to what it was a few months ago. There are a couple of mini shops in the area. Once Upon a Time in Vienna VA. http://uponatime.com/ Happily Ever After in Ashburn VA http://www.happily-ever-after-va.com/ Will your parents have a car? Happily Ever After will be next to impossible to reach without one, and the metro system doesn't go anywhere close to Ashburn. Metro goes to Vienaa, and from the Metro station it's easy to catch a cab to the shop, about a 10 minute ride away. Both stores are very nice, and mostly carry mid-price range minis. Both stores carry Real Good Toys kits. Once Upon a Time is a bit more geared to dollhouses for children, and carry a nice selection of lower priced minis as well. Happily Ever After is a bit more geared to the serious collector, and carries a broad range of higher end minis such as Bespak. They also have some artisan made minis, but not a great deal of them. In addition to Real Good Toys kits, they carries houses by Earth and Tree, Houseworks, and House That Jack Built. Both stores offer friendly, expert help.
  9. Has anyone else seen this sight? She makes laser furniture kits in three scales. Great style and details! Teresa's Miniature creations
  10. Congratulations! It sounds like you found some nice things. I think it's great that your sister is getting into minis. This hobby is so much more fun when you can share it with someone!
  11. It's in the National Museum of American History. I work for Smithsonian, and last year I was lucky enough to get a behind the scenes tour of the dollhouse when it was off display for cleaning. I was even allowed to clean a little bit of the moulding! I realize it doesn't sound like a big deal, but how many people get to touch it? The dollhouse itself is more like a very wide bookcase, but it's a wonderful collection. A few months back, the museum carried those modern plastic 12th scale chairs in the gift shop. Not sure if they're still there.
  12. The closest shop is in Vienna, Once Upon a Time. There is another shop a little further out, in Ashburn (off Rt 7, which goes through Alexandria--just take a 40 minute or so drive into the country), called Happily Ever After. I usually shop at that one. If you're really lucky, you can time your visit to coincide with the miniature show in Tyson's Corner in October!
  13. I love it! I keep joking with my husband that I'm going to get a Rye and a Tamarack (an RGT house that is somewhat bungalow-like) to go with my Fantasy Craft Craftsman Bungalow (in my gallery) and start my own historic district! Now I'll add this to my wish list! Last month when I was at my local shop, Happliy Ever After, Lori had another small bungalow. I don't know who makes it, and it wasn't there this past weekend : ( That's what stinks about being broke--another find slipped away. Now if GREENLEAF would make a bungalow, my joy would be complete (and I could afford it)!