• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Please Select
  • Real Name
    Heather
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

618 profile views
  1. I wish I could take credit for this house, it is a half-scale dollhouse at Oakridge hobbies. I asked if it was for sale but they no longer sell them.
  2. Just thought people would like to know... Take 30% OFF your product total! 30 Hour Sale Ends Wednesday, December 16th at 11:59 p.m. (ET). Use Coupon Code WPC2939B.
  3. April fools day, by far. Unfortunately last year instead of the usual 50% off it was only 40% off. THIS IS ON ONE ITEM ONLY. On Dec 29th it is 26% off your whole order. I was on HBS's website and they had a secret 24 hour sale of 30% off on your whole order. Happy Buying.
  4. My husband just bought this for me, its my Christmas present and I don't think I will be able to work on it right away. I do have a lot of plans for it though.
  5. I wanted to update you guys. I called Kiltz, also the maker of Behr paint, and I guess I waited to long between the primer and the top coat. Did you guys know that you have to apply a top coat after 24 hours but before two weeks? The primer gets too hard and the paint has a difficult time sticking to it. I also did not wait the four hours between paint coats, I only waited an hour. I guess I am too slow and too fast all at the same time Also paint on MDF peels and bubbles more than real wood. So anyways, I was told to sand, re-prime and re-paint, what a pain! Next time I know, hopefully no one else here will make this mistake. One positive thing though is I really didn't like how dark the paint looked, it looked lighter in the can. I will paint it a lighter blue, maybe a baby blue or some other light blue. Thanks for all your comments, I was wondering what you seal the wood with and how you do it. Can I seal then prime? I have never sealed wood before let me know. Lastly my camera only takes pictures in 2-3 mb so I cant post my pictures here until I can figure out how to take smaller pictures. Instead I uploaded pictures of my Victorian Cottage JR by Real Good Toys on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/42776885@N06/ Enjoy!
  6. I wish I knew the name but I don't. Maybe someone else will know. They were not for sale but I am in love with this dollhouse.
  7. Side trim on full scale dollhouse
  8. Here is a picture of the beautiful dollhouse at Oakridge hobbies in Chicago, IL. I took pictures of it in full scale and half-scale. Sorry for the poor quality of pictures.
  9. From what I understand you can use an oil base primer with latex paint. You cannot use oil base paint and then latex paint.
  10. Kiltz is a water based primer. The paint I used is latex, BEHR. The kit wasn't old, I stared to to build it when I bought it (although I do not think MDF has an expiration date, lol). I may not have let it cure thoroughly since MDF may take longer to dry. I was told that while it may dry to the touch within a few hours the paint will not cure dry for a couple of weeks and until the I should not put pressure on it. I decided from now on I will use a bonding primer called Zinsser, an oil based primer. I want to see if this primer will work better. I will also not stack the wood. For now I will sand and repaint the parts that have peeled since there is nothing else I can do. I should post some pictures of the house, once sanded and repainted it will look fantastic.
  11. I am putting one board on top of another when I am trying to conserve space since I don't have enough room to leave all of the boards flat. I can find another way to conserve space then making piles of wood but I wonder if I should use a different primer or paint.
  12. I am putting together two MDF dollhouses, the Alison and the VIctorian Cottage. I primed them with KILTZ and painted them with Home Depot's paint, who knows what brand. The MDF got all grainy after priming and painting and I sanded the clapboards. But I have noticed that if I place two painted boards on top of one another (after they have dried of course) they paint will stick to the other board and the paint and primer will come off leaving bare wood. Now I do live in the Midwest but I painted on low humidity days. I also made sure that I waited to stack the boards until they dried, sometimes months later. Has anyone had this same experience, should I use a different primer? What should I do now, sand the boards and repaint?