• Rank
    Born to Bash
  • Birthday 09/18/61

Contact Methods

• Website URL http://www.debsminis.com

Profile Information

• Gender Female
  • Location Maricopa, AZ
  • Interests I love minis! I love everything about them, but mostly I love building dollhouses, custom dressing furniture, and designing new things in almost every scale. You can see all my mini work (oodles of eye candy) at http://www.debsminis.com

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience Five or more
  • Dollhouse Preference I like them both
  • Online Community Building Projects Yes
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Deb
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

10756 profile views
  1. Gina Kendrick aka Wolfie

I'm heartbroken as well.  Wolfie had a special place in my heart and it's sad to think of a world without her in it.  Here's the link for her member of the month article in the Gazette:   http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/FEB2008/feb2008-mom.html  
  2. Selkie

I'm heartbroken this evening.  Tracy called to tell me and I'm just at a loss.  I can't think of any words to say, but I think Selkie would like me to share this.  She chose her name here on the forum based on the legend of the Selkie Woman as told by Clarissa Pinkola Estes.   I found this recording of the story for you.  https://sarahsutcliffe.com/2014/09/28/march-2014-seal-woman/    It meant a lot to her.  
  3. Barn by the Road.JPG

Oooh, I know a great brush for grass and you'll have half a dozen laying around.  LOL!  Those cheap craft brushes include some small, round "boar's hair" brushes.  Cut them way down and thin them out a little so there's a bit of a flat side to it so you can do a "flicking up" stroke to create the illusion of little blades of grass. The stiff bristles work like a dream for that.  I cut down a lot of those brushes that way.  I have a liner that's basically one bristle.  It's a good idea to look at the model train stores.  Those HO scale builders have crazy-tiny tools!  I love looking at them but I'd be afraid to work in a scale where I could lose a whole village if I sneeze.  
  4. Barn by the Road.JPG

Sam, this is amazing!!  You've taken mini painting to a whole new level girl and it's fabulous to see!!  Wowsers, you really do rock at this!!!  Kevin does speed painting videos and they are gorgeous although speed painting tutorials don't have a lot of instruction so for you to do this on your own is incredible.  If you're looking for some other artists that do landscapes, try Clive5art.  He has some gorgeous landscapes as well as other beautiful paintings.  He also has a delightful accent and a dry wit which makes it fun to listen to him.  Based on what you've done so far, I'm willing to bet that you'd like Clive a whole lot!    Ginger Cook is another youtube artist who does more floral still lifes but quite a few landscapes.  If you want something a little more abstract, Cinnamon Cooney (theartsherpa) has tons of videos to choose from.  There's also Angela Anderson (very pretty paintings) and a newcomer, Feliks (colorbyfeliks) who has some blending techniques that create the most vibrant backgrounds I've seen.  He has a hot air balloon video that's simple to do but oh so dramatic!    The right brushes can make a huge difference.  I was really reluctant to spend money on them because they can be very expensive, but when I finally made the move to professional brushes, it was like night and day.  Jane has a line of brushes that are exquisitely made to hold paint correctly and allow the painter much more control, especially the detail brushes like the angle, round, and liner brushes.  Those are only available on her website, paintingwithjane.com.  Cinnamon Cooney also has a set of detail brushes sold by Silver Brush, altho I've heard that the quality isn't quite there yet for hers (they're working on it tho).  Michael's has Master's Touch brushes and next to Jane's those are my favorites.   However, Michael's house brand, "Artist Loft" has several sets of brushes that I've tried and been very pleased with so they're a good place to start and then see if you want to commit to the expensive ones.  The Artist Loft brushes run around $10-$15 dollars for a large set of assorted sizes.  
  5. Yes ma'am, it sure is!  In fact, I think it's part of the original description.  LOL!
  6. Super Moon Over 1:144 Haunted House

@Samusa, Lynette used three 16x20 canvases to paint night skies and tree landscapes to go behind her quarter scale Christmas village and it looks amazing!  It's like having a wintery forest behind the houses.  
  7. close up of micro Golden Hour

Thank you!  I just realized that the description doesn't match the painting.  This is a macro shot of a sunset painting less an one inch.  The backdrop I did for Tracy's micro house is in the other album.  I'm so lost these days that I didn't  even realize I'd created two albums.  LOL!  
  8. <grinning>  And what a wonderful rabbit hole it is too!  The best painting paper is Canon's watercolor paper and I think the 140lb cold pressed is the one most recommended for acrylic painting.  To help cut down on the curling/warping, you can tape the paper down to a flat, nonabsorbant surface with frog tape which peels cleanly off the paper after it's dried.  Of course, it doesn't matter if it does warp since you can glue it to a piece of cardstock to frame it so either way, it can be made to lay flat.  Michael's often has the pads of watercolor paper on sale and in the size we do, one pad of 15 sheets would last a lifetime!  
  9. <chuckling and hugging you tight>  It's been way too long since I learned anything new to share so this makes me very, very happy.   You need to give this a try too Holly.  Try that cherry blossom tutorial and see what you think.  Oh, and Jane is just starting to teach watercolors too.  <happy grin>  I saved my pennies for a set of Dr. PH Martin paints and I've been petting the pretty bottles with such vivid, vibrant colors in them.  I haven't had time to open them yet, but I took to watercolors like a frog to water.  LOL!  Bruce got me a nice sketch box and easel that I can take to the patio to sit in the fresh air and paint.  I haven't accomplished anything but abstracts so far, but for me that's the joy of watercolors.  I deliberately try to make the "mistakes" that everyone else is trying to avoid.  hehehehe  Yeah, I'm your sister.    
  10. Sarah!  Hi sweetie!  Hope you're doing ok! <blissful sigh>  It's felt very good to be back here talking about miniatures with you guys. I'm having to stay in one thread to keep from getting overwhelmed with too much input but even this small amount is soothing to my soul.  Y'all are my tribe and even if I'm hiding in shadows, this is still where my heart lives.    
  11. Misty Mountains

I realized that I got the measurement wrong in the description.  This is a 2x3 canvas board and the boards have way too much of a noticeable weave in the canvas.  (they're intended for students to practice on)  Regular canvas or watercolor sketching paper works much, much better.  
  12. Sam, now that you've done one, you're catching on quickly to how easy it is!  This took about fifteen minutes and I was using paint left on my palette from another painting I'd just finished.  
  13. Snowy Cabin - First Mini Painting.JPG

<clapping in delight>  Sam, that's amazing!!!!  isn't it fun?  It's so much easier than it seems but the end result looks so fabulous that it's just like magic. Jane says "put this much of this color paint on your brush and put it here" and before you know it, there's a gorgeous painting right there under your hand!  And you're quite right that you can do this on cardstock or sketching paper or any stiff paper with a bit of a tooth.  (If cardstock is too slick, lightly graze it with the fine side of an emery board just enough to take off the slick coating of the paper)   <happy dancing>  What a gorgeous mini painting!  I can't wait to see what else you do and how it all looks in your dollhouses.  
  14. Here's an extreme close up of the micro painting I did this morning (sorry about the quality but I didn't have my macro lens and light box set up).  You can see that the canvas weave I was talking about is smooth enough to not be too distracting.  That's a 3/4 x 5/8 section so it's not too bad.  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=131139 
  15. close up of micro Golden Hour

From the album Miniature paintings

The micro loganberry house was built for me by Tracy (minis on the edge) and has been living in one of my dollhouses until I painted this 5x7 canvas for a backdrop.  Tracy and I always have worked well together.  :-)