About Julie48

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    One
  • Real Name
    Julie
  • Country
    United States
  1. Hi everyone, This house (the Skilcraft Nob Hill) is currently in pieces in my garage. I've been working on it for several weeks now, and I couldn't resist replying to this thread after an impulsive Google search brought it up (in the past, such searches were relatively fruitless). Almost five years ago I decided to get a doll house, it was something I'd always wanted to do but never had time. I found the kit on eBay and I was attracted to the more unusual architectural features, as well as the fact that it had two porches and it was more than a big box as a lot of the kits I looked at seemed to be. Of course, now that I'm building it I can see how much easier putting together a big box would have been... that cool tower is a bit of a challenge, but at the time I bought it I was blissfully ignorant as to that and many other challenges that were awaiting me. I also liked that it had a more compact footprint, and it seemed to be more reasonably priced than some of the comparable kits. I don't know what I was thinking. I had a six month old baby at the time, and we were in the process of moving. The kit ended up in my attic for the next five years, until I drug it out almost two months ago because my now five year old daughter had admired the dollhouses at Hobby Lobby and suggested we get one. She was surprised to learn that we already had one. It amuses me that the box says it's for children over 5 and that adult assembly is required. Some. (LOL) What I've also discovered the hard way is something most here are I'm sure well familiar with - the initial cost of the kit is the cheapest part. Buying all the other stuff is where I've spent probably five or more times what the kit cost. Who really wants to cut stair railing from a dowel? I've not got to the exterior yet - I've experimented a bit with the plastic siding enough to know that it takes paint pretty well, and I'm wondering if it would look okay painted or if I really should just go ahead and get siding? I've been working on it for well over a month and am only now getting ready to move on to the second floor. At some point it would be nice to have that half of my garage back, plus I really need to have it done before it gets too cold outside. That plastic siding would surely be easier, and I keep reminding myself that when I bought the house I never intended for it to be a museum piece... but after so much time, money and effort already in it I really don't want to use something that ends up looking cheap and cheesy, either. I guess I have a bit of time before I make that decision. My biggest frustration with this house has been all the windows. I'm keeping it a relatively open floor plan, but the lack of solid walls is making furniture planning and placement more challenging, especially on the bottom floor where I've used a column and half wall to define the spaces. Overall I've been very pleased with the quality - the pieces have fit well together and it seems as though it should be quite sturdy when it's done... which I'm hoping it will be at some point...