Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Five or more
  • Real Name
    Heddy
  • Country
    United States
  1. Hi everyone! I don't know if this is old news, but I went to my local Michael's store the other day and was looking in the greenery aisle when I spied mini dollhouse items on the end cap. It was being promoted as items for decorating a fairy garden with gnomes and glass domes, but there were several 1:12 and half scale items such as: a cool metal bicycle with basket, garden tools, blank books, eggs in a basket, fruits and veggies, mirrors with frames, glass bottles w/corks, too many to mention. You've got to check it out! Maybe this means that one day they will get on the bandwagon and start carrying a full-line of dollhouse miniatures stuff
  2. There is an excellent product by minwax called Express and a tutorial on the RGT website under "Victorian Farmhouse" that shows how to use it to score, stain, and finish hardwood and MDF dollhouse floors.
  3. The paint is not a bad thing. You can use Minwax Express (waterbased stain) to create a faux-wood floor finish--this technique actually requires you to paint the floor a neutral color first. There is an excellent youtube tutorial. Search "faux-wood floor on MDF." Even if your floor is plywood this would work with amazing results. The RGT website also has a link to the tutorial under tips and techniques for the Victoria's Farmhouse.
  4. I have had great luck with the latex paint samples from Home Depot. They offer a Behr sample size for $2.99 in any color you want. It is only offered in flat and is a paint and primer in one. They also have a Glidden sampler, same price, 2-in-1 primer and finish and it comes in a satin finish. One tub should cover any standard size house twice.
  5. I just finished bricking the front of my RGT Walmer Montclair--1800--Andi's bricks--only 2000 more to go to finish the entire exterior :w00t: I just used Aleene's Super Tacky glue (pink label). They held nicely. If you are using the grey mortar brick for minis, be sure to seal the brick first. I use a miniwax acrylic satin sealer. There are no fumes, spreads nicely, and dries super quick. I make sure I get in the nooks and crannies. The grout is very abrasive and will start to wear away your brick with each pass if it is not sealed--I learned this the hard way Hope this helps!
  6. For all of us who have been enamored with this craft for quite some time, I imagine that our workspace has evolved with our skill. Personally, I started off on the ubiquitous dining room table and then as our family grew I carved out a space in the corner of our unfinished basement. Now dh has gifted me with an official craft room So, what does your workspace look like?
  7. Joanne's and Michael's both sell Fimo Translucent is a larger brick. It does tend to bake frosted and if overcooked, amber. Did you have a specific project in mind that you needed clear for?
  8. How about "Briar Rose Cottage?" or just "Briar Rose." It is a beautiful little flower in exactly the color scheme you described delicate pinks and off-white. This is also the name of sleeping beauty and invokes all the feminity and girlish charm. Just a thought!
  9. Have any of you ever checked out www.estatesales.net in addition to Craigs and Ebay? I have had some exceptional luck in the past few years. When you enter the site, I don't pick a state, just go to the upper right-hand corner under "search" (make sure it's not on 'email') and enter "doll house." Right now I wish I lived near Lake Villa, Illinois, where ever that is--there is an older dollhouse that looks completely electrified and finished, but the real treasure is all the furnishings that are included in the three pictures after the house!!! Drool......
  10. Susan, I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood about ice blocks versus ice cubes. For ice blocks, I use FIMO transparent clay and cut it directly from the block and bake per instructions, or if you have any square plastic that chewing gum comes in (I think Orbitz, Chiclets, and Trident?), you just peel off the foil, remove the gum and fill the squares with clear epoxy and let set. Then just cut the individual squares free from the overall pack.
  11. Thank you Holly!!! The "ice" is actually the clear acrylic beads I mentioned in the post above. I crushed some and left others whole.
  12. Here is a pic of the beads I used to simulate "ice"under my seafood polymer clay creations:
  13. You can purchase a bag of clear acrylic beads used as vase filler from the floral section at Michaels or Joann's. They are completely clear and a little over 1/8" long shaped like flat cylinders--VERY convincing ice cubes. In fact, when you purchase the "ice" from most dollhouse stores that comes in mini bags, that is what they are using. If you want a more crushed ice look, pour some of the beads into a ziplock bag, seal, and hit it with a hammer a couple of time--VOILA! Crushed ice.
  14. I agree, it sounds like in order to be able to change out your lamps and have "outlets," you would need to use tapewire. Most electrified homes are: A) Tapewired - use plugs, and allows for lamp change outs B) Roundwired - channels are created in the walls under wallpaper or hidden behind moldings and false ceilings. All the wires end at a central power strip (sometimes its necessary to lengthen the wire). Fixtures are most often permanent. C) Hybrid of tapewiring/round wiring - tapewire is laid AND channels created, but instead of a traditional lamp plug, the wire is soldered directly to the tapewire--less chance of shorting out the connection, but fixtures are definitely permanent. Good luck! There are tons of great sources here for any of the above methods!