klaviergoddess

Gold Member
  • Last visited

25 Excellent

About klaviergoddess

Profile Information

• Interests
    Piano, classic literature, arts and crafts, spending time with my family, and raising my lovely daughter.

Previous Fields

• Real Name
    Heather
  • Country
    United States
  1. klaviergoddess

Slave Cabin Diorama Finished

Completed by a 4th grader with assistance from Mom and lots of great advice from the Greenleaf community.
  2. Holly, we used the spring loaded kind. 4th graders are not very concerned with authenticity. She saw the tiny clothespins and had to have them. That's fine. We've taken some artistic license with a scale as well, creating an impression rather than going for strict realism.
  3. So tempted to post a preview but I can't do it until the clothes are made for the clothes line. Darling daughter would be so unhappy if I did. I thought she was going to explode if I didn't buy the mini clothes pins when she found them at the store.
  4. You know you might belong on this forum if you are out in the February temps. rubbing mud into candle wick (mini clothes-line) to make it look dirty.
  5. I ended up using some real Spanish moss and I think it looks great. We've taken a little artistic license with scale because we wanted the antique photo of the slave family to loom larger than life on the walls as well as the cotton field (endless work for the slaves). Therefore, the lifesize Spanish moss looks just fine since it's all a little wonky. We are getting close. I got permission to add the trees and Spanish moss but darling daughter wants to sew the clothes for the clothes line.
  6. Jo Med, I did see that toob at Hobby Lobby. At the time I couldn't get past the traditional African dress. Maybe I should revisit that idea. Surely some of them could be covered in "slave clothing". Right now we're working on determining if we can hang some Spanish moss from oak trees.
  7. Photo coming this weekend. It's turning out great. My 4th grader is doing an awesome job.
  8. This is just a masterpiece in progress!
  9. Thanks, another round of great images! We're about to attempt to "timber" rustic wood into plaster to make the siding. I'm in over my head. Remember, I don't have a lot of experience yet. Just a fairly good imagination but not a lot of practical experience.
  10. Great minds think alike. That is EXACTLY what I just decided to do to simplify. The main attraction will be the cabin. Thanks for reinforcing my idea Holly. I haven't been able to find any figures. Does anyone know where I can get them, in a big hurry?
  11. Ok, we have hard core plans pretty much in place and we start putting this thing together this weekend. I need ideas for making a mini cotton field. Help!
  12. So many great ideas and how to's. Thanks to all! I spent a large part of my childhood in Baton Rouge, LA. Visiting the plantations, complete with slave quarters, was fairly routine. I think that's where my love of historical architecture and past societies began. From there I went to Germany. I grew up with plantations and castles easily accessible. As soon as I get the specifics of the project, scale etc., we'll come up with a more precise plan.
  13. Great pics of the slave house. How could I make bricks that looks that rustic, anyone? What about little pebbles instead?