About Livinginthepast

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Please Select
  • Country
    Australia

Recent Profile Visitors

694 profile views
  1. Thanks, some of those are really nice! Unfortunately Ellen's catalogue doesn't seem to be working right now? The pages won't load. I'll check back later!
  2. Darn, that one's not one twelfth! Looks lovely though.
  3. It's a bit daunting though! Any idea what I should do with the 'furry' mdf? I couldn't sleep last night, I kept going through ideas.
  4. Nope, I use other people's houses for my inspiration all the time!
  5. Okay, attached it. Hope it works. Obviously there's a lot of work to be done!
  6. Yep! Do I just attach them to this thread, or am I supposed to put it in an album? I'm going to need a lot of help/advice. I promised my boyfriend that I'd try to make more stuff instead of buying (though I'll buy things like fridges, ovens, etc, I want to make my own cupboards and counters), because he thinks it's a shame I don't try harder with making. I'm also really quite bad at colour coordinations.
  7. I'll put things to do with our miniature museum in here whenever I think of it, rather than starting a new thread for what will no doubt be a multitude of items. 1. Where can I find a miniature glass baby bottle, online? The banana shaped old fashioned ones. I have one for my own dollhouse nursery but I need another for the museum! 2. Where can I find a good old fashioned looking Noah's Ark, online, including some animal figures? That's not like, 6 inches long... Any ideas? Thanks!
  8. Woah how on earth can you bear it!
  9. I'm having a lot of trouble finding doll kits online. I google it, and over half of the links are dead, or the site hasn't been updated in years, or they're links to dolls to buy that are hundreds of dollars rather than kits. Or they're doll moulds. Can anyone help? I'm looking for quality but not hugely expensive (Anything over $50 I would have to think carefully about). Specifically, I'm looking for a middle aged man and woman, but not with a huge amount of wrinkles or looking like a 1950s gossip. They're going to be modern dolls. I'm also looking for a young woman who could be a 19 year old teenager, and I'm looking for a 16 year old boy. For another project, but for modern times as well, I'm looking for a brown skinned little girl. I bought one on eBay, now she needs a sister so they can wander around the museum without an adult. (we're doing a children's room in a museum. We want not many dolls. We've got a mother, a little boy, and a baby to be slinged to the mother, and the little girl I just mentioned. I thought it was sad she was wandering around alone!) Can anyone help? I'd prefer just head, hands/arms to elbow, feet/legs to knee. The face needs to be painted but I can do hair, wiring etc myself.
  10. I'm so excited. A few weeks ago, I saw a dollhouse on eBay. At the time it was selling for just $10, and I thought hey, why not, I'll bid on it! Even if it wasn't the perfect dollhouse for me, I could paint it and wallpaper it and sell it on, and it'd definitely make a profit. ... the price went up and up, and I started thinking about all the things I could do with it. I ended up buying it for $67. I'd not discussed it with my mother, who is my mini making partner (and I still live at home!), but I discussed it with Dad half an hour before the bidding ended. "Where will you put it??" was what I knew my mother would ask. I already have two dollhouses, and she has one as well. After about 10 minutes, Mum came round. It's a three storey house, quite damaged by rain (some of the mdf has frayed, and there's a stain and a bit of a bulge on one of the floors.), but I think I can fix it up. I've always had historical houses but I decided that this one would be modern. And instead of English like I always do, Australian. It's a three storey house, two rooms on each floor. No room for a bathroom so I'm going to make an ensuite in the main room, and have a fake door on the ground floor leading to the laundry and bathroom. So the ground floor will be kitchen/dining, hallway with a study nook, living room, plus there's a verandah- I'll put a barbecue on it. Second floor will be main room, hallway, girl's room. There's also a balcony. Attic space will be a craft/study room, and the boy's room. I've also really surprised myself because the 'family' that immediately moved in, in my mind, was two parents, a 19 year old girl, and a 16 year old boy. (It makes it more Australian, because the 19 year old is living at home like most of us do). I usually have children so I can have the toys. But these teens will be geeks so they'll have geek toys instead, like ... Doctor Who figurines, craft supplies, electronics, plus a few childhood toys would still be around. I did think it'd be good to have a baby, but if I want an ensuite there's no room for a baby. I feel a little sad about that because there's so much good modern baby stuff around! Oh well I guess I can do a roombox some time. Unless there's some awesome solution. I did think perhaps I could not have one of the teenagers, but... I can't bring myself to get rid of either of them haha. Unless the baby's room is 'at the back' too, and I just have things like a highchair or a play mat around the 'real' house. Or, perhaps they have a new niece or nephew who is over a lot! There's so many things to think about. Today I spent time planning the kitchen/dining area, and looking at design sites online to look at what's fashionable that I might want. I also need to choose lights soon.
  11. Thanks! I didn't have time to put it up for the festive creativity feature, but I'll put it up anyway, even though it's late.
  12. http://notebookinhand.com has got a few miniaturists, plus people who are interested in miniatures. I'd like to encourage more people to get into the hobby, and more miniaturists to join. Right now, we have a Christmas/Festive Season section on the forum. Every two weeks the forum will have a different featured theme. I'd love to show off pictures of your Christmas (or other Festive miniatures for the season) settings in your houses, roomboxes, individual items, etc. If you have a picture that I'd be allowed to use, please tell me! I'll give you credit of course- please tell me how to credit you. I can link to your blog, or your album here on the forums, or leave a name or pseudonymn, it's up to you.
  13. Oh no, we're provided with the box. Sorry, I'm talking about the internal stuff, like I need a scene or a theme idea, as well as how to portray it cheaply. They're usually rooms in houses since we want as many people as possible to be interested, and if I did I don't know, a dentists (not that I'd know how to do that) then fewer people would be interested in buying a ticket. Cardstock stuff is a good idea! :angry: I just remembered we made an awesome little bedside table from some cardstock a few years back.