Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Five or more
  • Real Name
    Michi
  • Country
    United States
  1. Ha ha! Yes, I think we almost all go through periods like that. The worst is when you stop in the middle or 2/3 of the way through and then get the itch back but want to change everything. I have learned to keep my project workspace in the living room so it is in my face all the time. Especially if the project is a commercial one and a deadline is set. Out of sight CAN be out of mind for me. Just roll with it. Work on minis when ya want, and don't when ya don't!
  2. That's the kicker! If the instructions are too clear, I mess them up! Seriously though, since I have omitted more than half of the actual house, the instructions meant very little. I did mess up once by not installing the tower window sections in correctly and ended up having to remove and fix them. They can actually be put in upside down and the windows won't line up. Of course, I only figured it out AFTER the glue and wood filler had been thoroughly set. That's what I get for enjoying several beers during construction!
  3. I had been itching to do a full fledged haunted house for years and finally decided to hunker down and do it. I am using the Harrison but it will be far from the cute finished house shown of the box! I started on this about three weeks ago and things are going well. Had some problem with constructing the shell because I don't read instructions (a very bad habit), but the entire shell is now in place. I have completely altered the exterior of the house, adding oddly angled windows in the attic area, eliminating the bottom kitchen bay while adding an interesting 'squared bay' in the second floor bedroom. The tower roof was eliminated as has the balcony for the 'secret room'. I specially designed and built a triangular bay in its place. I am not putting up the hip roof. The exterior will be hand done stone work and brick with much of the half timbering eliminated. The chimney will be moved to the right hand side of the structure to line up with two massive stone fireplaces and a second will be added to the kitchen for the hearth. Both will be stone. The landscaping features a muddy pond (with little hidden horrors lying just beneath the murky water), the family crypt, a specialty 'poison herb' garden, and a couple of other surprises hidden about. A ghostly dead bride roams the house, her glowing red eyes appearing often in the hidden space under the front staircase. No obvious access will be visible to the secret attic room. One will have to look quite closely. And why would the owners of the house have a hidden room???? Hmmmmmmmm. This project is a true labor of love. It ties my love of miniatures with my love of classic horror movies. I was originally going to build this on spec for sale. Now, however, it will be proudly displayed in my living room to enjoy year round. I will have pictures posted soon. I have been documenting my progress but can't find the cable to upload the pics into the computer. I will have to take it to the drug store and have them put on a disc.
  4. There is a fully assembled 'pull down' ladder that I used in a house awhile back. All I had to do is cut the opening to size and glue it in place. Very realistic and perfect for your style of house. I can't remember the manufacturer. Maybe Houseworks? I'm sure someone here knows. I recently saw it on a website too. Bugs me that I can't remember.
  5. My most memorable first day of school was when my parents put me in Catholic school in grade six. It was an all boys school in Watsonville, California called St. Francis. It was right across the street from a huge graveyard. I remember that for sure. There were only three classrooms and they always smelled like lemon oil and warm wood. This was in the country right outside of town and sat on the edge of Kelly lake which actually had an 'island' with a CASTLE on it. It is almost surreal to think back on. I was nervous but knew a bunch of the kids from my neighborhood so I wasn't a total stranger. I remember Father Felix always leading the morning prayers in the school courtyard. Good memories. The school was demolished in 1989 due to collapse from the "Big San Francisco quake". Very sad. The gym was left standing and is now like a youth club or something. You hear alot of people tell horror stories about Catholic school but those were my favorite school days of all.
  6. Ahh Ebay........So very dangerous. Been a member since 1999 and have probably spent my daughters college tuition in 'stuff'. However, I have snagged some TRULY great deals such as my Harrison kit for $39.00. You just have to keep your search for the items you are really needing. Treat it like the grocery store. "Bread, cheese, milk.....bread cheese milk...." Michi
  7. I personally found this to bring a smile to me when I received it: Amazingly Simple Home Remedies! 1. AVOID CUTTING YOURSELF WHEN SLICING VEGETABLES BY GETTING SOMEONE ELSE TO HOLD THE VEGETABLES WHILE YOU CHOP. 2. AVOID ARGUMENTS WITH THE FEMALES ABOUT LIFTING THE TOILET SEAT BY USING THE SINK. 3. FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE SUFFERERS ~ SIMPLY CUT YOURSELF AND BLEED FOR A FEW MINUTES, THUS REDUCING THE PRESSURE ON YOUR VEINS. REMEMBER TO USE A TIMER. 4. A MOUSE TRAP PLACED ON TOP OF YOUR ALARM CLOCK WILL PREVENT YOU FROM ROLLING OVER AND GOING BACK TO SLEEP AFTER YOU HIT THE SNOOZE BUTTON. 5. IF YOU HAVE A BAD COUGH, DRINK A QUART OF PRUNE JUICE, YOU'LL BE AFRAID TO COUGH. 6. YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE. 7. IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM. DAILY THOUGHT: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
  8. Hi and welcome! I am originally from Santa Cruz, now residing in Portland. Miss that area but love it here! This is such a great place for we mini folk to get and give advice. It seems that no matter what your question is, there are at least a dozen members with answers.-Michi
  9. Hello Katy! Sounds like we are at the same point in our Harrison construction! I am bashing mine a bit on the exterior. Yes, I too have some fairly decent gaps, mostly in the tower and bays. I never worry about such things as trim will generally cover them up. I usually add some wood fill or spackling as others have suggested. I prefer wood fill for larger gaps as spackling can crumble if the structure shifts while moving it. I will post pics of my progress as soon as I am able. What a great house and so easy to construct. Michi
  10. Hey there- DO NOT USE SHRINKY DINK! You will just become frustrated with the results. You cannot control the final size, the thickness, or the fact that one side will be shiny and the other not. You can use acetate or even those sheets of plexiglass sold at craft stores. As for 'leading' your glass, you can use golf club leading trimmed to size, or even liquid leading with a micro tip applicator added. Hope this helps a bit. There are others on here who are experts in mini stained glass. I am sure you will hear from them. Good luck! -Michi
  11. Hello everyone! I just wanted to leave a quick introduction. My name is Michi and I have been rediculously addicted to this hobby for about 18 years now. I have built almost 10 homes now. Construction is my favorite part of the hobby and am a notorious "basher". I just can't leave a kit the way it is. I am currently building The Harrison and will post some pics as they come available. My favorite architectural style is Tudor and the Harrison is just such a great kit to start with. I will be hand leading all new windows, applying aged stucco as well as stone on the facade, and the interior walls, ceiling, and flooring will all be period specific even though the home will be existing in current times.