welcomehomeminis

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

welcomehomeminis last won the day on June 5 2014

welcomehomeminis had the most liked content!

242 Excellent

1 Follower

About welcomehomeminis

Profile Information

Retained

• Member Title
    Finishing Touch Fanatic

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Five or more
  • Real Name
    Kelly
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

2,466 profile views

About Me

Welcome!

Hi! I'm Kelly. In my day-job, I run a little growing company and a medium-sized growing blog, far from the mini world. I'd like to say I don't have time for this, but the truth is we make time for our passions—and making dollhouse miniatures is the most absorbing kind of passion!

I've been a reader here for a long time, and I realized that I've been missing something by not participating. Time to get involved!

"Oh, it's perfect!"

That's how it all started. My daughter and I had been creating miniatures for a few years. With full-size design and building experience, translating my skills to miniatures was a natural way to unwind and show off my artistic side.

We both loved the work—too much. We made furniture, accessories, houses and shops and roomboxes—too much! We had such a great time, and began to give away larger projects as gifts to special friends and family. Oh, but it was tough to give them away! That's when I heard the magical phrase that made it worth weeks or months of effort: "Oh, it's perfect!" Such a wonderful expression of delight. I love the little finishing touches that make a dolls' house, a home. Miniature wreaths, my specialty, add that detailing that says, Welcome Home! When we'd hung them everywhere we could logically place one, I realized it was time to do more with this "hobby."

The passion has grown into a bit of an obsession; from all the artisans, shop owners, and collectors I've met over time, it appears that makes me a completely normal miniaturist. :)

Inspirations

The mini artisans I am most inspired by are Kiva Atkinson, Ferd Sobol, Betsy Niederer, June Clinkscales, and Elizabeth LePla of ELF Miniatures. Without them I might never have realized how much miniatures had changed since the simple houses and furnishings I made when I was a child, and how painstaking design can also be breathtaking art.