• Last visited

0 Neutral

About critter

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    http://critterknits.blogspot.com/

Profile Information

• Interests
    knitting, sewing, needle felting, cooking, baking, crafting of any kind! I am always discovering new things that I enjoy doing!

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Please Select
  • Real Name
    Christie
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

757 profile views
  • MBB

1. I just used some photos and my memory for reference with the chimney and fireplace. I used illustration board (because it was handy) to construct it. I admit that it's not perfect but I think it does the trick! I am enjoying adding on to this house!
  2. Oh thanks so much to everyone for your boosts of confidence! I have been itching to get back to that paper clay since I left the house this morning! Only a few more hours to go until I can get back at it! And to whomever had bad luck because you "didn't have the right tools": I used a drinking glass, the pointed end of a hair comb, and the rounded end of a paintbrush to do all of my work. I wanted to wait and go buy all kinds of fancy tools but I just said the heck with it and went rummaging through my house trying to find objects that could suffice! It was a fun little scavenger hunt. :xmas_tree: I intend to paint the stonework to look grayish brown maybe add a little moss growing in some of the cracks. I'd like for it to look old; like it has been a part of the foundation for many many years. Thanks to everyone for replying and giving input! You have NO idea how much it helps me! I will certainly keep the updates coming!! P.S. I do believe that the addiction has set in...This is only the beginning. :groucho:
  3. My first foray into the world of paper clay has proven successful (in my eyes). After a TON of research, lots of intimidation, even more hesitation and gallons of coffee I pushed myself to gather up my materials, clear a spot on that ridiculously messy work table and start applying the paper clay to my Orchid. I was really nervous at first but after jumping in I was surprised to find the similarities of paper clay to ceramic clay. There are the obvious differences such as density and workability but other than that it brought me back to my ceramics class last semester! It took a while to get my stone technique down but after about an hour I had it down pat and was carving away with my red comb. (Hey, I use what I can find here! LOL!). I found myself unable to quit, even when the effects of the coffee kicked in I had a hard time walking away from it! I just kept carving away! I really wanted to finish the chimney but it's getting late and I have to get up very early so I had to drag myself away from it. I'm totally addicted to paper clay. So ANYWAY, check out my Orchid album for the latest updates to the house. And, as always, I love to have input from everyone! Thanks!
  4. critter

The Orchid

My first build!
  5. I actually considered doing that! I might just go for it. I like your other suggestions. I might do some type of drapery or canopy type thing above the bed on this wall. I'll play around with it and see what works for me. Thanks!
  6. critter

that window...

I'm loving all of these suggestions!! Thank you SO much!
  7. Oh this is beautiful! Great job. Nice to see a fellow knitter on the site!
  8. critter

that window...

Great suggestion! Thank you!
  9. I posted more photos if you are interested in what else I have going on. Thanks!
  10. Oops! You're right! I forgot to check the box that makes it public. I fixed it. Thanks!
  11. Hi all! After a crazy, busy christmas, some furious knitting, and living with the dread of school starting back on Monday I finally got a moment to sit down and assemble the roof for my Orchid. I got the dormers on and the bottom part of the porch assembled. I really wanted to finish the porch but it was getting late and I had to stop. I am hoping to finish it tonight and possibly start work on the chimney/fireplace that I am planning to install. I still haven't wrapped my mind around the entire idea but I have been studying and sketching and hopefull if I just GO FOR IT it will all work out. Either way, I'm sure I can make it work. Anyway, last night I also took some photos of my progress so go to my gallery and check it out and please feel free to leave any feedback or comments! THANKS!
  12. Hi Debra! I am also building the Orchid as my first house. Maybe we can troubleshoot together sometime! haha! I'm building with wood glue because, after reading other posts and from experience, I don't feel that hot glue is sufficient for holding a dollhouse together (or much of anything...I guess i'm just rough with my crafts) I just have some advice about using the wood glue....be sure that you REALLY want what you are gluing down to go where you are gluing it. I decided against using some window pieces that I had already glued down and thought I would just pop them off...I nearly sliced my finger off trying to remove them. Could be because I decided the best tool for the job was an xacto knife with a broken blade (I'm an idiot). CAREFUL! Also, I began by following the instructions that came with the kit but after the first few steps (attaching all the windows to the house), I was browsing through the forum and realized that I could apply them AFTER constructing the rest of the house. I wish I hadn't put them on when I did! I suggest doing a lot of research and looking at other Orchid's (by Greenleaf members or google it!) I am still doing research and having to stop and think of what to do next and work out the logistics of it all before moving on. (I should add that I'm planning to bash this kit). Good luck and keep us updated! Christie
  13. BTW, I sent an e-mail to Hobby Lobby asking if they would consider carrying a wider variety of dollhouses and accessories from various manufacturers.