• Dollhouse Preference I like them both
  • Online Community Building Projects Please Select
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Mary
  • Country Please Select

Recent Profile Visitors

608 profile views
  1. cottage1.JPG

Wow, the details in that are amazing!  The more I see of 1:48 scale, the more tempting it is to try it!
  2. Full Porch.jpg

This is so fun, and such a sweet idea!
  3. What's everyone working on?

So I have a few other projects I need to complete before I can get back to any of my dollhouses, but I'm pondering something. One of those projects I need to finish is cleaning out my garage, and yesterday I came across an old metal and glass mobile that was rusted and hopelessly tangled. I salvaged the glass pieces, and one of them is a deep blue disk with a raised design on it. It's about 2.5" in diameter and 1/4" thick around the rim, which is the thickest part.  I'm wondering if I could use it as a window, especially under an eave or gable. One possibility: cut an opening the window's size and glue it in, then frame it out. I don't know if a wall of one of the Greenleaf/Corona kits could actually support it over time, though: it's relatively heavy so if I did this it would probably be in one of my other houses. Second possibility: because of the way the mobile was constructed, there are holes drilled into the rim to hold the wire. I wonder if I could somehow "pin hinge" it (into a structure with 3/8" thick walls at least) so that it would "open" by turning/spinning. I don't know if I can explain exactly what I mean, but I'm really tempted to try because heck, how funky would that be? Now I just have to figure out which house it would fit into best... ...or start a whole new project just to feature that window. :)
  4. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

There's a partially finished Beacon Hill for $50 in Omaha; no stairs and openings for them were patched over. https://omaha.craigslist.org/clt/d/unfinished-beacon-hill/6213277846.html
  5. creativity as an anti-depressant

Carmen, I want you to know that I understand what you're feeling and no, it's not right. But you're not alone, and if there's any way I can help, or stand up for you (or anyone else who's threatened or bullied), please tell me and I will. I am a wimp when it comes to defending myself, but as a former elementary teacher, I will go mama tiger on bullies. 
  6. creativity as an anti-depressant

Thank you, so much. 
  7. creativity as an anti-depressant

You are certainly not alone. In addition to national worries, a friend of mine died on Wednesday, and the only thing I've been able to write was an essay in her memory that I finally got down this morning. As far as miniatures, I keep telling myself I'll feel better if I do something, anything, so I've been making myself do tiny steps on the barn for my nephew. Even it's as simple as gluing on the doorknobs, when I'm done I can say there's one thing to check off, one thing finished that wasn't yesterday. I don't have a lot of inspiration, but there's a tiny bit of satisfaction in getting that one thing done. I've also forced myself outside to do yard work and get some fresh air and exercise. And, as Sable said, I've spent some time tuning out. Watched all of The Crown on Netflix this week and my favorite rom com of all time, Return to Me, today. Watched Lin-Manuel Miranda on Ellen's show and laughed for the first time in days.  Baby steps. And know we're here for you.
  8. Hi Amy, I'm coming at this late, been away for a bit, but if you (or anyone else) do decide to do something, send me a message or let me know. I used to do miniatures with my fourth grade students, both as part of math class and as extra after school "just for fun" classes. It's been a while, but I can fill you in on some of the projects and techniques we did that always worked well, even with kids as young as 9-10. Though it can be time consuming, it's totally possible to make some great minis with them--you just have to do some pre-planning and understand what level they're ready to work at.
  9. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

I can't tell if/how this opens up to get to the rooms inside, and it's far too big for any space I have, but WOW is it a gorgeous piece of woodworking: http://omaha.craigslist.org/clt/5837692402.html
  10. GIant ruler

When you want to make your real house look like a dollhouse... ;) Very cool!
  11. image.jpeg

Awesome door! It's amazing to me how much difference the right door, especially a working door, can make on one of these kits. You did a great job!
  12. What is your costume for Halloween?

I've made costumes for several of my nieces and nephews over the years, and this year I'm making a Wonder Woman costume for my sister's 1yo and helped my mom make a cape so her 5yo brother could be "Captain John Deere," a superhero of his own invention.  Since I'm dressing the superheroes, I'm thinking of putting something together so I can go as Edna Mode, the costumer from The Incredibles. I have some big round black glasses and should be able to put the rest of it together from my closet, maybe with a tape measure around my neck. Pretty sure nobody but me will actually get it, but that's okay. Like they used to say in the Mystery Science Theater 3000 writers' room, "We don't ask if everyone will get our jokes. We say, 'The right people will get it.'"
  13. The Monarch

She's so sweet! Well done.
  14. My first (thrifted) dollhouse project

Okay, I'm looking more closely, and I think I overreacted! There are similarities, especially the bay, but the dormer/gable is kind of a big difference. Oh, well. I spent so l iong wondering if I'd dreamed the book our house came from, I was excited and jumped the gun. At any rate,  you have a great find there. Best of luck in your rehab!
  15. My first (thrifted) dollhouse project

Jamie! Hi, and welcome. I think I know that house! Back in the very late 80s, my dad and I made a house for my sister, who was 7 at the time, from plans in a book called "How to Build and Furnish a Dollhouse for $100 or Less" by Patricia Maidment. (Here's a link to a copy on Amazon.) The book has you build the house out of heavy duty corrugated cardboard, but Dad used wood from our old kitchen cabinets. So if your model is made from wood and heavy as sin...it could very well be the same one.  We got the book at the library and it disappeared from their shelves about a year after we returned it, and I couldn't remember the title or much about it until I went on a dedicated Google search this spring and finally found it.  It's the front facade, the room layout, and what I think is a bay window on one side?, that's giving it away for me. It looks like whoever built yours put in some lovely custom touches, like the siding and shingles. I recently rehabbed that house for my sister's kids. I don't have a lot of great pics of it yet, but here are a handful I took while the reno was in progress. Let me know if you think I'm seeing things!