lmgervais

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by lmgervais

1. lmgervais

Romantic Paradise

Isn't the Beaumont so much fun! Hubby bought me the laser cut version for Christmas, but I have other dh's in the works, so I was trying hard to wait to start it. Pieces came out of the box last week and in two days the basic structure and additions are in dry-fit. Hubby is going to bash mine as I want to make it into a hotel. Right now, I am trying to make final decisions on lighting and wallpaper. No mini store near me and I know that I will need a ton of stuff to build it. I so wish that I could keep going, but I can only plan and dream right now...sigh... Your's is looking wonderful!
  2. Still happens to me - and I've been into mini's to varying degrees for over a year now - with three mostly built houses. Thinking about the next one - then actually opening the box for the first time - is a great part of mini's!
  3. I've been starting to notice dh's appear in commercials and movies and tv shows.
  4. I'm definitely going to keep my Beaumont once it's done (only at dry-fit, and it will remain there for a while). Any others, I'm not sure as I do not have enough experience with the different houses to prefer one over the other yet. Besides, there are still more that I want to get!
  5. Hi John! Glad you found us. I am in Ottawa, just down the highway from you.
  6. Yes, that is how I feel right now about my first house that is nearing completion. I learned so much about what doesn't work and what I should try differently, but I will keep it as is and know that it was a learning experience.
  7. I started putting my Beaumont into dry-fit yesterday so that I could actually see the size of the rooms and where I will want to bash it! This will help me continue with the planning. Yes, I know, I have other houses that are not finished yet , but I couldn't resist my Beaumont any longer since it has been here since the beginning of the year.
  8. Try this site. It doesn't have much, though. http://ohara-mill.org/library/the-heritage-gardens/#fruit or this one, which has seed packet pictures. http://www.yankeegardener.com/heritage_heirloom2.html And I found this picture.
  9. I found out several years ago that there is a cemetary named after my father's family, now under the jurisdiction of the province. It is a small family cemetary away from the road on land that my father's family (his gg-father, then g-father) used to own. There are several headstones from infants/babies that died, plus the one of my father's gg-father; however, his body was moved to the town cemetary at some point in time, where his wife and other family members are buried. Unfortunately, these are the ancestors that are 'dead' ends as no leads to their parents can be found (protestants in Ontario born before registration of birth was required - male Irish, female German).
  10. Looks an awful lot like my friend's dog, Oreo, which is a Shitzu. Oreo's hair matts quite easily and he is full of matted hair right now, so they are waiting for spring to have him shaved.
  11. So sorry to hear that baby and mom are not feeling well. Hope theu get better soon!
  12. What a blast from the past - I could never live in some of those kitchens! LOL!
  13. I plan on scrapbooking my houses as, so far, they will all be themed around a particular place and time in history, so there needs to be a story to weave them and their occupants together.
  14. I'd like to always buy things on sale or with a coupon, but that is not always feasible. And, any mini shopping I do has to be by computer AND they have to be willing to ship to Canada, so sales are not the priority.
  15. The one removed, twice removed stuff can be very confusing, but it is actually quite simple. For example, take a couple and call them generation 1. Their children, generation 2, are siblings. Their children, generation 3, are first cousins (same grandparents). Their children, generation 4, are second cousins because you have to go to their great-grandparents to have an ancestor in common. Their children. generation 5, are third cousins because you are another step away from the common ancestor. Now, a cousin from generation 4 is related to someone from generation 3 'once removed' because of the different in relationship to the common ancestor (great-grandparent vs grandparent). In a similar way, generation 5 is 'twice removed' compared to generation 3. However, the more generations you go, the more confusing it can get. And, when there are several marriages within the family tree (e.g. two sisters marry two brothers, and their great-grandchildren end up married, joining the two lines), that is how that you can end up being your own ? cousin x times removed. Hope this helps clear things up.
  16. I'd have to say that I don't really like shingling - don't know how to finish it off as you get near the peak - and interior molding/trim. I'm not very good at cutting things to the exact length or angle I need, so my trim doesn't look right in my first house. My favourite part - dry-fitting and planning a new house, epsecially if it includes bashing! However, remember that I have yet to finish even one house, so I have not gotten to the interior decorating except for the walls and floors.
  17. I agree with Casey - you will just have to use the champagne green wallpaper on a different house!
  18. Hope she heals just fine and is back to her old self soon.
  19. Great idea! Good luck! I can hardly wait to see the finished project!
  20. I know that they are not exactly the same thing, but I have seen 'gold' and 'silver' paint pens at various stores.