• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Please Select
  • Real Name
    Debbie
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

1,268 profile views
  1. Just a note that might interest some...........you can buy just egg cartons from suppliers, sans the eggs (your heart might thank you for that!!). Here is an example (10 cartons aren't too bad...........If you're wealthy and working on a REALLY BIG house, you could go for the 10,500 carton shipment ;) http://www.randallburkey.com/Paper-Egg-Cartons/products/363/
  2. Ah, but there IS, Holly!! A little pricey, but obtainable if you feel you really must have him.............. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AHQENO/?tag=y...sl_62cz3ct7yy_b
  3. Not exactly a dollhouse, but WOW!!!! Worth a look-see! Its a Disney creation - of course. So pretty! http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009...oridian-resort/
  4. I found aluminum and brass hollow tubes at a train oriented hobby shop. I'm at work and I can't remember the diameter, but I used some for a faucet and I could comfortably run wire thru it. Because it was hollow, it was lightweight easy to cut and bend.
  5. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! A bible!!!
  6. As a newbie to this hobby, I rarely have any ideas or advice to offer, but I haven't seen this mentioned, so............ Perforated Paper (or even better), Plastic Perforated Paper is a great scale for doing needlepoint rugs. My mom made a number of them when she was doing her dollhouse years ago. The great thing about the plastic is that it holds it's shape and doesn't have to be blocked, but the scale is very small and tight and they have little bulk so they lay quite well. I bought some of the plastic recently, but haven't found a pattern yet...................... I love the rugs shown here. Especially Holly's. The colors are stunning and rich. I'm inspired to get one started after reading this thread!!!
  7. Recently, I used the liquid starch idea with my mom's Orchid. With my level of expertise, I felt safer using a method that could easily be removed :welcome: It worked quite well, actually. We put it directly on the primed wall, even turning corners without cutting. It stuck easily but remained movable to jockey it into position. It was pretty easy to smush out bubbles and when dry, it was stiff and easy to trim with an exacto. Additionally, it leaves sort of a mat finish on the wall that would allow you to gently wipe it down with a wet cloth. Best of all, if you hate it, you can tear them off, wipe the wall, wash the fabric and try another method. No harm done. (In RL, I once bought quite a bit of yardage super cheap of a printed sheer. I tried sticking the panels directly to two of my windows that faced the neighbors where I wanted light and some visibility, but not so easy to look into. I used liquid starch and they really stayed okay for several years, even with a little condensation on the windows. When the edges began to peel away, I'd slop a bit more starch and kept it going. When they looked a little dirty I tore them down and washed the windows and the panels and we were back to new. I probably could have put the panels back up, but were tired of them by then.)
  8. It is perhaps fate that you mention this at this time, Jeremy. I have a story to relate: I work in a small law office with 2 attorneys and 2 secretaries. The other attorney, not the one I work for, is a strapping 43-year old who is a tall, robust, athletic, physically active man .......an award-winning golfer, tennis player, walker. This last Monday, the 15th, he apparently had some mild chest discomfort. Wrote it off as heartburn from some recent gastro troubles. Wife gave him anti-acids and they ignored it. On Tuesday, he came to the office, went to a brief court hearing, came back for some appointments and went behind his closed door to finish some work. And collapsed. By the time we realized he was uncharacteristically late to meet with his waiting client, a half hour or so had elapsed. When we found him laying behind his desk, he looked horrible and his color was ghastly. I did chest compressions while waiting for the EMTs, but I knew it was too late. Massive coronary. Could he have been saved IF he'd not ignored the warning signs and gotten a medical evaluation the night before?........ ......that's what his poor wife is left wondering now. He leaves behind a stunned community, grieving parents, a beautiful wife and 3-yr-old daughter who absolutely adored him. The moral you need to take from this is simple. Take this gifted warning and use it wisely! GO TO A DOCTOR, ANY DOCTOR, NOW! Don't wait for another episode, possibly incapacitating or fatal. Listen to your wife and go now. You don't want your wife to be where his wife is at this very moment...at the funeral home wondering all the "what ifs" and "if onlys" that come with this kind of senseless, preventable tragedy. Check into this now.........please......so your forum family doesn't have to nag you daily along with your wife.......
  9. Oooooohhhh, I've always loved the McKinley! I'm new at this hobby myself and I also bought a McKinley to start with. I think it's a marvelous first house - it's a perfect size and the hanging factor makes it so easy to find room for it! So far (knock wood), it's not been too hard to build. I'm not too far along with it, but I'm thinking and planning all the time, so I hope I can pull off what I envision. Good luck with yours! I'll post pics of mine when there's enough there to show progress. Hope you do the same! Enjoy!!!
  10. I have prepared the parts for the staircase in the McKinley.....construction looks like it should be a no-brainer (although I don't think I have enough flexibility and body parts to hold it all together while the glue dries :w00t: ). However, in setting it all up and fitting it together, it appears that the risers are all a tad bit shorter than the stairs - so when it gets stood up against the wall, there will be a gap between the wall and each riser!!!??? Because this seems to be true with all the risers, it leads me to believe that this novice builder is doing something wrong. I'm inclined to just sand down each step a bit to they are all the same length, but thought it best to get some pro advise before destroying the staircase.... Any thoughts on what I've done wrong?????
  11. I'm not quite at the rug-making stage yet, since I haven't even finished my floors yet :w00t: , but these are really, gorgeous! It made me remember that years ago, my mom had done a number of lovely rugs for her dollhouse. She used plastic perforated paper! It's a great gauge and it lies perfectly and there's no blocking or fussing. They worked great!
  12. Oh, absolutely!!! Go for it! I was thinking the same thing when I saw the Glouchester. There is one blog, I'm sure you've seen, following one being done as close to the book descriptions as possible. It's just wonderful. I'd love to do one myself, someday. Hope you dive in....then I can enjoy yours vicariously!!!!
  13. dbev

My babies!

Thought I'd test my ability to create and upload pics to an album before I actually begin one for my McKinley. These are pics of my little pack.
  14. I just found this thread and was surprised to see these Michael Garmen pieces. The name seemed sort familiar and the aged kitchen pic rang a bell with me so I searched through your gallery to see if I could confirm my gut feeling! And there it was..... Years ago, in Hudson, Ohio, I came across a couple of pieces for sale at like a yard sale or outdoor shop sale or something and showed them to my Dad, who loves that sort of artwork....he bought one, a wall hung building facade - "Leroy and Bertha's Bar and Grill". Slightly different than the one in the picture here. There is no figure on the steps, but there is one standing inside looking out the grimey windows. It is a fascinating piece and fabulously aged!!! I'll try and snap a pic next time I'm over there if anyone is interested.
  15. dbev

Pets:

It's good to be surrounded with so many animal people!! Currently my furbabies include an elderly (and ill ) mixed breed spaniel, Sarah, and two Chinese Cresteds, Trixie and Trevor - my not-so-furry furbabies This breed is not very well known (well, except for that Ugly Dog Contest :yes: ), but they are a fabulous pet breed. They do require a fair good bit of time and maintenance........but their personalities make them so worth it! These two are without a doubt the most loving, funniest, sweetest, quirkiest, most bonded-to-us pups I've ever had! The DH was not so sure about getting a small hairless dog at first, but was besotted from the moment he laid eyes on Trixie. Now, he's completely wrapped around those little paws and he instigated getting the second.