Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Two
  • Real Name
    Dave
  • Country
    United States
  1. The poster board helps a lot, I don't know how I'd do it without it. I've decided since I'm going to use tape wire, I'm going to wall paper the poster board and affix it to the walls to cover up the wires. Biggest problem is once I get the angles figured out, and cut out the siding, is getting the slats in the siding to line up. I've cut many pieces trying to get the slats to line up. After the dormers are done, its time to run the wiring. Thats going to be fun. At one point, I'll have to figure out how to go from round wire to tape wire for the porch lights. And mounting the door bell button. eeeek!!
  2. I would, but I can't find the cable for my digital camera...the one that goes from the camera to the computer. ARGH!!! Its still in the shell stage, been doing lots and lots of sanding, priming, and painting. And I still have more to do.
  3. No, its me pulling my hair out trying to be a perfectionist. :groucho:
  4. Last September, I purchased an RGT DH kit for my grand daughter. Work has been progressing slowing because of work schedules, but its progressing. I've spent a lot of time so far, sanding, priming, and painting a lot of small pieces. Windows, doors, shutters, etc. Right now, I'm trying to cut out siding for the 3 roof dormers. Especially the front of the dormer where the window is located. I'm using poster board so I can cut out the siding pieces accurately for a better fit. Even with this method, I'm finding that I can't get things exactly accurate. Perhaps I'm being a perfectionist, but I'm wasting a lot of siding doing this. Anyone have a better idea?
  5. Thank You for the tips. I checked out Deb's Willowcrest and WOW! Bromley is definitely a lead I can use. Now to find a kit. ;)
  6. I'm sure the owners of the house would be happy to help me get a design, even if they weren't, I could probably get a disposable camera and ask them to take pictures for me. Designing and cutting out the shell myself is not something I'd like to take on. With a turret, gingerbread, widows walk, and so forth, I think that's way beyond my skills. I was hoping to find a shell/kit that resembles it. Still trying to figure out how to achieve the cut stone effect. The real house is made of cut stone. I've included an outside photo of the house. Perhaps others might be able to recognize a kit/shell that I can use.
  7. Dollhouse Collectibles @ dollhousecollectibles.com They have been great working with me to make sure I get what I need. At, I feel a good price. Shipping is only $5.00, even if you order several hundred dollars worth of things, and I usually receive it within a week. Tim, the owner is working with me now to find a kit that closely resembles an actual house around the corner from where I live. That will be my next project. So far, the "Garfield" is the nearest kit available, yet its not quite right. Tim said he'd keep looking.
  8. Magic Miniatures As of late, I've gotten a few offers to build DH's for profit. But don't have the time. I'm lucky to spend a few hours a week on my current project. If I had a store, I'd probably build a few for display purposes, and give the shoppers an idea of what can be done. I'd probably cut out my own shells, sell accessories, supplies, and so forth.
  9. A little bit of trivia about lighthouses. Each lighthouse on the coast of the U.S. is either painted with stripes, and/or has different flashing light characteristics. This is to allow the mariner to determine where they are at. One particular light that I can think of is located in Massachusetts, it flashes 1-4-3, the locals have dubbed it the "I love you" light. A few years back the Coast Guard wanted to change the flashing characteristics of that light. They had a small riot on their hands. hehehe Great job on that house, now all you need to do is to convince the Coast Guard to give you a real Fresnel Lens. LOL
  10. Always put primer on the wood, inside and out. You won't use so much paint when it comes to painting the DH, if it you wallpaper the interior, the primer will keep the wood from absorbing the wallpaper. Personally, I like to use enamel when painting my DH. Yes, latex is easier to clean up afterwards, but with enamel, its easier to clean the DH. Just my opinion.
  11. My suggestion, put primer on the wood before putting any wall paper on. The primer will prevent the wood from absorbing the wall paper, as well as create a better surface for the paper to adhere to. Prime, and paint all small pieces such as windows, interior doors, shutters, etc before putting them on the house. This creates a nice, neat finished look. The others have also made some great suggestions.
  12. Wow! Thank you all for a very warm welcome. Nice to know I've joined a great community. Hope your all ready for the flood of questions I'll be asking. Ive not installed wiring in a doll house before. I had to order this kit from a store in New Hampshire, so long distance instruction is kind of out of the picture. I wish I could say that I'm happy with the RGT kit. The instructions are horrible and need vast improvement. Sometimes its a guessing game on what to do. For instance, the 1st and 2nd floor are accessible from the front by means of hinges. Not understanding the instructions, I gave up and only made the 2nd floor with a hinged front. Only to find that some of the plywood is warped, and I'm going to have to figure out a way to get it to secure to the house so its straight. As one of you said, they are sturdy though. One thing I like about the Greenleaf kits were the notches in the wood, and clear cut instructions which aided correct assembly. What I didn't like were the thin wood panels. But would you believe it, I'm already eyeing my next build. I'm eyeballing "The Garfield" as my next build. I live in the historic district of town, and right around the corner from me is a home that the Garfield closely resembles. Thank You again for the warm welcome
  13. I've been lurking in this community for a couple of months and tonight, I decided to join. I reside in Pocatello, Idaho along with my son as he attends college. Not many doll house builders here, the only hobby store in town carries very little in the doll house department. I've only built 2 doll houses so far, all for some very special ladies in my life. My first, and Greenleaf kit, I built built for my daughter. I don't remember the name of the kit, but thats when I got hooked on building dollhouses. After that project, I met a man on Cape Cod, that had a miniatures store, and he made his own custom kits. And that gave me lots of idea for the next dollhouse. Unfortunately, he pass away a few years later a victim of Cancer. His family closed the store. My second dollhouse was for my cousin's daughter. Distraut over the breakup of her parent's marriage, I decided I'd build her a dollhouse. Again, another Greenleaf kit, which I don't remember the name of. Needless to say, when she see's me at family reunions, she always gives me a hug. "Paid in full" I say. I'm now working on my third dollhouse for a very special girl in my life. My grand daughter, which will be born next month. Yup, I know its a little early, but I decided to go all out, all the frills, bells, and whistles on her dollhouse. I thought my daughter was going to have the baby the same moment I told her, she was that excited. Now, I'm working on my third doll house. Its not a Greenleaf kit, but a kit I picked up from "Real Good Toys". a 1:1 scale colonial. 1/4" smooth plywood. So far, I only have the outer walls put up. I stopped construction long enough to prime and paint all the windows, shutters, clapboard siding, as well as the window and door trim. After thats done, I'll run the basic wiring. I'm taking it slow, I have about 4 or 5 years to finish it. Still I'm wondering if I bit off more than I can chew. I know right off I have some wiring questions. I know its a ways off before I start running the wiring, but I'm trying to address these challenges before they come up, this way I have a plan of attack. I will post them at a later date. Good to be here. I hope everyone has a great holiday season.