• Last visited

14 Good

About Aimeehj

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    http://www.aimeehagertyjohnson.com

Profile Information

• Interests
    Painting, illustration, typography, art history, literature, and knitting. (I'm aimeehj on Ravelry; come knit with me!)

Previous Fields

• Real Name
    Aimee
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. Yes, Some of those would be nice for mini decoupage projects. Shelf paper in a dh kitchen!
  2. I assume everyone else already knows about this, as I'm new to this hobby, but nothing came up when I did a forum search -- so, allow me to share! The wallpaper company Ferm Living shares miniature versions of some of their most popular RL wallpapers. Go to their website and you'll see the link on the lower right. Although the papers are designed to fit a particular dollhouse that they "happen" to sell (there must be a dollhouse person on staff...), the ones designed to fit the rectangular rooms would work in other houses. The designs are quite modern, though with a retro twist. I suppose these are not suitable for your historically accurate Georgian mansion. : )
  3. Hi, all! Please allow me to benefit from your knowledge again! : ) As I finish building, painting, and occasionally decoupaging furniture pieces for my young daughter's dollhouse, I'm struggling to decide how to shellac them. Would a water-based clear varnish work well on painted/decoupaged wood? If so, what brands have you found to work well? I already have: Modpodge (but is that really suitable as a final protective topcoat?) Winsor and Newton matt UV varnish (I use this on canvas paintings) Thanks as always!
  4. I'm working on a lot of basic furnishings for my first dollhouse (the Gloucester) and simultaneously building the house itself. It's outrageously fun! I can only work on it at night after my almost-three-year-old goes to bed, though. The dollhouse is ostensibly for her, which is why I'm tring to make it child-friendly. Sometimes I get carried away and start putting beautiful little Fimo feet on wingback chairs... oh well, when she breaks it, I will have the fun of making another! I've been making things out of my daughter's outgrown baby clothes, too. This blue striped mattress was once a baby t-shirt. The shirt had a stain on one side, but I'm too sentimental to toss such things. Now it can live on as a doll mattress! I'm also assembling a couple Greenleaf kits so that my kid's dh won't be bare when she gets it. The price is right! Once I put together a few nursery and bedroom pieces, though, I realized I could be making my own furniture... I did go to art school, and although 3d is not generally my thing, I think I can tackle this! My first from-scratch piece is this Shaker bookshelf from wood scraps and chipboard. In the photo it is primed but not painted.
  5. Adding a photo of the mesh to show its size/guage, since I offered to share some of the mesh bounty... make sure the size works for your projects! : )
  6. Nice... The Lloyd mug was an unexpected find, I bet!
  7. Oh, and if anyone would like a bit of the plastic mesh, I would be happy to share my good fortune. : ) Always ready to barter for fabric and such. Can you PM on this site? If so, do that. : )
  8. And I guess two of the dollhouse family dolls will have to be named Henry and Catherine, because I found these today! Not exactly trash to treasure, but I didn't think teeny souvenir mugs truly called for their own thread. : )
  9. Good for you! I love it!
  10. I was eyeing some ceramc butter dish lids to turn into a bathtub. I haven't seen a lot of DIY bathtubs, at least not convincing ones! How about you all?
  11. You guys are so right about seeing with a "mini eye"... I shall never see things the same way now that I'm doing the dollhouse thing! Today I spent some time at the second-hand shop (kept thinking of Patricia King and her 'jumble sales'!) and was overjoyed to find this roll of... plastic stuff... to turn into leaded windows. Plus a multitude of tiny soon-to-be picture frames and the cutest little fasteners that I suspect will come in handy. Lots of great tiny dowels, too (not pictured). Fun! I also found a beautiful set of Playmobil dolls dressed as a Scandinavian family. Darling. They are 1:24, but I'm sure they'll find their way to the Gloucester I'm building for my little girl... is it a sign that I'm losing perspective if I wince when I imagine 1:24 scale dolls in our 1:12 scale dollhouse? As long as she's having fun, I guess!
  12. Oh... I am in awe! I want a lifesize one for my own bed! Perfection!
  13. New country, new dollar stores to inspect for unexpected minis... love it!
  14. Lene, the dollar-store basket is so great!