• Last visited

1 Neutral

About MLyle

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    http://home.mchsi.com/~mlyle/

Profile Information

• Interests
    Dollhouses and Dolls<br />Reading<br />Sewing<br />Machine Knitting<br />Machine Embroidery

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    One
  • Real Name
    Martha
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

671 profile views
  1. Thanks Kathie, I think I'm going to go with dry-fit and masking tape then. I so appreciate your comment about doing it in our own way. The instructions said to tack 3 pieces together, and then glue. If they fit dry, then I'll open them out and permanent glue. I found these neat 90° positioning clamps that help the walls stay straight up while the glue dries. Fingers crossed!
  2. Problem -- I was told to use a tiny drop of glue to tack. Then come back later to glue. I'm using Quick Grab for both. But I'm having a problem when I come back to glue, the tack won't come loose to get more glue into the joint. Should I be using something different to tack? Or do you just add glue from outside the joint without taking anything apart? I see a lot of masking tape in pictures, is that what is being used in lieu of glue dots? And even so, do you take apart to add glue, or glue from outside the joint? Thanks, Maetha /
  3. I;m hoping this might help me. I see it's been 10 years since anyone posted. Those who tried it, did the connections hold up? I need to connect round wire to tape wire.
  4. Bi-pin bulbs are new to me, but I've purchased 4 lights, and don't have a clue about how to insert the bi-pin bulbs. I haven't unwrapped them, they seem to be taped to the fixture power wire. No directions! Hope someone can help, or point me toward a tutorial. Thanks!
  5. Thanks, all! I did pretty well for my first run. The corners are a little rough. I'm going to make a temporary power supply so I can test the wiring as I go. Waiting for parts to arrive!
  6. I have a 30" run of tapewire to put down on the "Glencroft" floor, with (2) 90° turns. Should I expose the adhesive side of the tape all at once, or in small increments? (Sorry for such a dumb question, but I'm pretty fumbly, and don't want to mess up a long length of tape.) Thanks, Martha
  7. Are grommets the same as eyelets? How far do they come through? I don't think I could grind them down. I will have stucco on the other side, will that be enough to hide them, do you think? I have vowed to never use brads again! Thanks, anyone!
  8. Can foam core be used for dollhouse construction?
  9. Hello, all! I'm an 89 year old great-grandma who's returning to dollhouses after a 20 year absence! I built the Garfield and added wallpaper, furnishings, and wiring from about 1990 to 2000. Now I have an 8 year old great-granddaughter who wants to help me build another. We've started small with the Glencroft. I remember after doing Garfield, I thought it might be easier to paper and paint first, before putting walls up. Have any of you tried that? Wish me luck! --Martha
  10. I'm so excited about doing this! I've ordered my barn, lots of ideas about how to finish it! The neat thing is, I wanted to do a barn anyway to go with my Victorian farm house (Garfield). I've never entered one of these before. Is the goal to show how easy it is to customize the building, or how to "decorate" one? Are there any guildelines? Regardless, I really appreciate your making the barns available! :thumb: Martha
  11. Wow! That's just superb! I know I couldn't ever get that much detail out of carving. Your whole DH is really beautiful! I can see why you're the "Queen of Spackle!" Must take a lot of patience and determination to get results like that. I've got to work on that! I'm spending too much time figuring out and not enough practice. Or as my old uncle used to say, "All talk and no do!" Today I put in baseboards in three of the Garfield rooms, and got one outlet that was being balky to work again. Still so many details to finish up. Martha
  12. Hm-m-m, my chimney is stone, not brick. I searched far and wide to find a stencil that matched my grandmother's. So I do want to mold, but don't know if I should try to make sheets, then after it's dry try to glue it on, or put the stuff on the chimney then mold with the stencil before it dries. And the stuff? Will spackle be stiff enough to mold in place? I've used paper clay a little, didn't like working it flat in sheets, but like the consistency of it. I'll try the DIY clay, too. And I did consider using egg cartons, but felt that the stencil would be more authentic. Not sure I could get the stone feel that I want. Just have to experiment I guess. Nice part is that I'll be able to work on it separate from the DH, so it will be easy to get to. Holly, thanks for your help! Martha
  13. There are some definitions and pictures of vaious fireplace terms here: http://www.buffaloah.com/a/DCTNRY/fireplace/fireplace.html Thought this might clarify some of the terms. Martha
  14. I like the Bromley templates for shaping bricks and stone, in fact I have one for the stone fireplaces in my GM house. Everything's still in the planning stage, so am interested in how others have done fireplaces. I was thinking of making the fireplace and chimneys from wood, then covering with paper clay or something similar, then pressing the mold into the clay. My fireplace will extend from bottom to top of the two story house, so could be used for support like Ann's in the Brookwood. Loved the pictures, too. Martha