Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Five or more
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

705 profile views
  1. Thanks so much for your help and input! I really appreciate it.
  2. Oh, dear! I'm not inviting others on this site to join or planning to start one with members on this site. (That sounds terrible, of course if someone onthe GL site happened to live near me, happened to also be a member of the other site, happened to find the group that I have not yet created, AND wanted to join, they would be welcome. That's a lot of ifs, though, so lets just assume that people active on this site actually joining this theoretical group is about as likely as the earth turning backward. Soo...working from that assumption... The people on this site have seemed to be very open to and helpful about sharing their interest and expertise with others, so I thought what better place to go for advice on the subject than here. For my own purposes, completely divorced from this site or anyone on it, is there anyone out of all the members onthis site willing to help me brainstorm about some ideas so I can write a proposal for this group that will in no way shape or form be in competition with or seek to entice any members of this site? Pretty please?
  3. I think my original post might have been poorly worded or need a little further explanation. I have just moved to a new city and would like physical human contact, so I found a website where you can create any kind of real-life group you like and physically meet up with the people. It's a really cool concept and there are groups for everything you can think of from general to specific, mundane to bizzare: movies, books, foreign languages, hiking, ethnic groups, brunch (yes a whole group where all the people do is meet up at random places and have brunch with random strangers), hiking, daschunds, knitting, a group for married people with no children, a feral cats group, there are literally hundreds of groups just within 25 miles of where I am. It's not a dating site, it's a place to make and find clubs for adults. So that leads me to my original question: if you were (not would you) starting or joining one of these groups, what would you like to see. I know this probably sounds weird and flaky to a lot of people, but that's okay. I'm just asking for help in formulating a plan, so any help with that is greatly appreciated!
  4. This is a great online community, agreeing with you 100%! What if you were actually going to one or setting one up, though?
  5. So if you did have a mini club in your area, what would you want it to be like? - how often - meeting content/format - vibe/atmosphere - kind/# of members - bonuses/detractions - anything else you can think of that would make or break it for you Also, what's the max you would drive? Would rotating locations make it more or less appealing?
  6. So cool! I do love the designs. Brimble Mercantile and Beacon Hill are two of my favorites.
  7. Hmm...catstrophic accident? Not a bad idea. The exact same thing happened with the bedding in our master bedroom. Spent years waiting to get my own bedroom the way I wanted it, get married to him & his mother keeps giving us blankets and sheets all in my least favorite color, I finally get a cat who does me the favor of shredding it all to ribbons and what does my husbamd come home with? A complete bedding set in my second least favorite color! Lol! You better believe my favorite part about decorating a dollhouse is that neither he nor my mil have any interest in "helping" me do it. Lol! Now buy me another kit, however, I'm all for it!
  8. Could not agree more! I have been "breaking" dishes for some time now so I could have an excuse to get rid of the very-not-me dish set my mil gave us from a yard sale. I finally get to the point where I can justify a new set and what does my husband come home with? A dish set. Sigh...someday I'll get to pick out my own dishes!
  9. Okay question...have you already finished the other one? You could use this one for the messy one and do take two for the nice one implementing the changes/techniques people suggested. Also, as to my earlier suggestion about a razor, I forgot about the material GL uses for windows. Definitely wouldn't work. Lol! I was thinking plexiglass! What kind of glue did you use?
  10. Definitely would not spend a thousand on a first kit. There is a lot of trial and error that goes into building a first house, and you'd hate to do it on a house you'd spent a ton on. If you're a true craftsman, however, it might be fine. In terms of size, cottages are definitely more manageable and a great intro to Victorians. For a first build, something with square lines like a farmhouse or a colonial might be easier. Of course, it's most important that it matches up to the style that's in her mind's eye! At the risk of having tomatoes thrown at me, I would suggest taking a look at a couple of different manufacturers. Two of the current big ones, Real Good Toys and Greenleaf, produce very different kits with very different ways of doing things. Most people find that they have a very clear preference. This, being a Greenleaf forum, will have a lot of people loyal to that brand, but there are just as many RGT fans out there as well. I personally don't like all the sanding that comes with a wooden kit and find tab and slot construction to not be sturdy enough for me. I also like the convenience of having siding milled on already and using Houseworks components. I also find the milled MDF kits to be more error-proof and more likely, under my clumsy hands, to turn out just like the professionally built picture you see online. ETA: What a sweet husband! My husband's reaction? When is this #$!& dollhouse going to be finished so we can have our dining room table back?
  11. Hmm...would a razor blade work to get it off? That's what I do with glass IRL when I get stuff all over it. I don't know what it would do to plastic, but it might be worth testing it in an inconspicuous area. :/