5 Neutral

About Claire Marie

Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Real Name
    Claire
  • Country
    Ireland
  1. WOW! Thank you all for your help! Such fantastic advise, and I have a clearer picture of how to get started, so thank you. So spackle is polyfilla. That explains so much! I'm going to go with 3/8 plywood so that I can use the houseworks doors. I was making a model from foam core, but now that it'll be a different build I'll be starting over. Kathie thats a great idea about using the pins instead of glueing, makes great sense. Morgan, I will look up those now. Jeremy, that is just, wow. Jaw-dropping. I doubt I can do anything THAT impressive! I'm interested in how you do all that wiring, but that's a worry for another day. I'll cross that bridge when it comes. I'll be sure to take progress pics. I've promised before to post photos of my Lundby so I'll do that this week. I was waiting until it was "done" but does that ever happen? Probably not ;) Right, I've the house to myself and a sleeping babe. Time to cut some foam core.
  2. Something like this, the roof. This is one of the inspiration pics. Another important question: the running order? I'm thinking I do the whole shell, then the wiring, then the exterior and then the interior. Is that right? Gosh, the wiring is going to be a whole other headache! I'd like more than one switch, so that I could have some lights on or all, rather than all or nothing.
  3. Thanks for your reply Holly! Even though this is my first build, I've loved minis, houses and interior design since I was a kid, so I probably will do more, time permitting. Hubby has been saying that I should design and build houses for kids, supplying the decor that can be interchangeable, let's see if he stills thinks that's a good idea after the first build! My christmas pressie from him will be shopping for supplies so I can buy a few small things anyway. And I still have to see what my dad can lend me. I think I'll go for the Houseworks doors and windows from HBS (ordered just a few things as a "test" order, damn customs got me though!) the detail on them is just great and I don't think I can do better! Have a plan modify the front door though. I guess I need to go to the DIY place and check some prices. I know what you mean about the brands for the glue, I'll just ask for one that has good longevity, and something for "sealing" (I've read that I need to seal, just don't know what with). Do you have any experience with making dormer or gables? I'm finding it hard to design on paper, let alone in wood. I'm learning that there's lots of math involved. Two 90 degree angles meeting is making my head hurt There must be a formula! I suppose there's a lot of learning as you go along, no matter how much advise you're given. Soooo excited to get started in the new year!
  4. Hi everyone! So, my plan to get the Tennyson and kit-bash it is out the window. The redesign was going on and on and basically it was becoming a whole new house, so I thought "why not" and now I've decided to build a house from scratch instead. Very exciting as there's no restrictions now! It's gone from Victorian gothic to a rustic-chic large farmhouse! This way I can take more inspiration from Irish buildings that I'm more used to looking at. This is where I turn to all your experience to help me start on the right foot. I've tried to search for a definitive list of tools and must-haves. I'm going to try borrow as much as I can from my dad, but think they might be too powerful (and possibly covered in oil and grease, not my kind of work station to be honest) so I'll need to figure out what to buy.... What type of saws? (power and hand types?) brands of glues? Any tools that you wouldn't initially think of but become must-haves? Sandpaper, masking tape and clamps I know. Also, WOOD! Hardwood, plywood or MDF? It'll have to be sturdy as I'm adding lots of stone and slate from Richard Stacey (anyone have experience using their stuff? I have the catalogue and some samples, amazing looking). If I go for hardwood is it much harder for cutting? And what's the ideal thickness is one of my biggest concerns. Tips tips tips, all welcome, and links! I'm sorry if all these things have been asked a million times before. Just afraid to get started and then find out I'm missing something important or used the wrong thing and waste time and wood. I have a little baby so time so of the essence. I'll either be working in my parents spare shed or my husbands music studio, not at home as I've only a small apartment, but this way I can set up a more permanent station. Thanks in advance!
  5. Thanks! I'll give it a go anyway and report when the time comes. One downfall would be adding 3 to 4 inches of work to a room that'll have a parquet floor, ugh. A plus? More parquet to look at!
  6. Hope I'm posting this question in the right place! So, I've been planning my house ahead of getting it, mapping and daydreaming, and I've planned not only additions but also to extend it outwards, if that makes sense. I'm hoping to extend the floor and walls at the back, giving the rooms more depth and wall/floor space. It's to arrange the furniture more comfortably and to add an archway or door to the additions. Basically more room to play What I'm wondering is if anyone has done this before and how did it go? I'm worried it'll darken the rooms or make them harder to look into, never mind all the extra hard work and headaches it'll entail! I hope it's not impossible though. Any comments or thoughts would be great!
  7. Wow, gorgeous house, looks huuuge! The front is so interesting.
  8. Wow wow wow. How did you do the vines? And stonework? Is the pebbledash stucco? Sorry for the questions and ignorance, I'm a beginner Beautiful building you have there.
  9. Thanks for all the replies folks! Rbytsdy and Dalesq, gorgeous Tennysons! Very impressive Dalesq that copper roof is just wow! I've never seen that before, once I figure out how you did it I'll have to consider it for future projects! This Tennyson will have red-ish roof tiles. And I'm going to admit my other favourite feature..... The failed wallpaper attempt! I love the "old house" look it had. Last week we went to a viewing of one of the most beautiful real life houses I've ever seen, no one has lived in it in decades and I thought of making a mini version one day. Now I know how to do the walls, thanks! Would it be appropriate to post an album of the house somewhere, even if it's not mini? It's really inspired me.
  10. Hi I'm new here, I have to ask you where you got that pot stand! It's gorgeous. I'm looking to do a Tennyson for my first build
  11. Hi Holly, yes I've read that about the hot glue, I was even thinking of buying one of the teeny one-room kits as a practice run to see if I can do it without messing it up! Don't worry I'm sure I'll be asking questions galore! I don't know any other dollhouse collectors personally so it's nice to find a community like this.
  12. Hi Stacey! I will post photos of the Lundby eventually, also the other houses that need restoring to see if anybody has any ideas! Two are Vero, I think. Who knows, maybe the people I've bought them from (eBay) are on here? I'm really excited to get started on the Tennyson. I'm already buying my "bits" for the house, even though I don't have it yet! Mood boards and daydreaming.
  13. Hi all, I'm Claire and from Dublin in Ireland. I've loved/collected miniatures since I was a kid, getting more into them in the last few years. I have a few vintage houses awaiting restoration, the only one I've managed to (almost) finish is my lundby. I'm really keen to build a Greenleaf, especially the Tennyson! I plan on decorating it in a lovely shabby-chic country style. Any tips or pitfalls I should look out for for my first build? Also really interested in kit bashing, but I wouldn't know where to start! Guess I need the house first, that's step one ;) Any advise would be fab, looking forward to talking to other dollhouse lovers! Well, that's me!