Profile Information

• Interests
    Varied

Previous Fields

• Real Name
    Charissa
  • Country
    United States
  1. I started seeds several weeks ago. First time with some of these - chives, carnations, ruby red corn, luffa gourds, a couple sunflower varieties (my son's favorites), melons (dunno the type... kinda canteloupe-esk). I also did several pumpkin types, some "tiger" squash, yellow sweet corn, beans, and probably a few others I am forgetting. Some of it didn't come up- most did. I was surprised! It's the FIRST time out of many tries that I have actually sprouted lavender! And it looks like most the seeds came up, too. The luffa only did one out of 3 seeds I have more I'm going to work on now that I've moved some of them out of the seed trays... including snow peas, cabbage, and bok choy. I live in an apartment, but some of this is planned to go into space at my mother's that we desperately need to get set up now. I love hand starting stuff- first time I've ever seen anyone start tomatoes from seed. The peppers didn't come out- so we'll try again, and that'll be a first too. My seed box is getting a bit full o.o :lol: And anyone thinking the supplies are too much... well, I've only got one commerical seed tray (didn't use peat pots this year, either lol), and one of my planters (In which a lettuce plant miraculously survived strangulation from peat pot netting AND winter) is an old damaged mop bucket. My trays are old food trays - some perfectly clear, some black bottomed- all that matters is a clear top. I've been using organic Miracle Grow soils, and a spray bottle... and most my seeds come up. Oh, all in a sunny window. I'm using old Sunny D containers with the neck/top cut off for grow outs, and I've used old gallon milk jugs as pots once or twice. In fact, I have some sunflowers growing out in an old butter tub at the moment... ... I use what I have to. Low budget = ingenuity? And why spent loads when you've already got something useful? Just remember if using the deli/takeout/food trays to put some holes in the lids And same with the juice/milk container pots... gotta drain somehow.
  2. AVG -used- to be good. It used to be me and hubby's main choice of Anti-virus, with Trend Micro's online scan second. Then we had a keylogger that nothing but Trendmicro saw- that was fun. More recently, I had a boot sector virus crawling around in there- and nothing saw it. In fact, while scanning to get rid of it, TrendMicro found several others that AVG was happily failing to find! And I don't go to the "bad" sites that a lot of viruses are spawned from. So, we've switched. No more freebies- they just aren't working anymore. Once my computer became nothing more then a 2ft tall brick, they lost my faith in them. Too many failures on their part, despite daily scanning, active software, and continual updates (daily checks). And the lag it caused... Those viruses are sneaky. I've found them lurking in those plain little .jpg-based ad bars. before- for a while, one of the top web comics sites had one that kept causing my antivirus (AVG then- but this was five years or more ago) to spaz at me. Each anti virus program will have it's die hard fans, and it's die hard haters. There's no one perfect one, sadly.
  3. Wow, she has some neat stuff! You'll have to keep us appraised on how it goes if you do order. I've had the same problems with the board for awhile now. I also can't quote- I mean, I can.... but I have to post all my text (including reply) above the original quote beause it won't let me scroll through the text.
  4. Caseymini- I read your blog all the time I've stayed up waaaayy too late reading it more then once, too. Shame on me >.> I can't tell you how much I wish I had a Tessie of my own! I bought a Calico Critters (Used to be called Sylvainian Families, and still is called that in Japan) family for one of my Michael's houses. I have two from last summer that I never got to finish due to health issues- but one of them has been talking to me. The family isn't yet, but they're still boxed up- hopefully they will start to talk soon :thumb: I know I've talked to the Michael's houses and furniture kit when I was working on them before. Sometimes I think the conversation might be better with the DH's then with my four year old. At least they don't argue with me that "Maria" is "Martha" ... aaugh. Edit: I have talked to every pet we've ever had, as well as stuffed animals and a myriad of other inanimate objects- including books, bedclothes, shoes, socks, chairs, and computers....
  5. Thanks for the warning... I'm going to be real careful when I go to stain, now. I know the smell of rubber cement makes me ill - or anything close to it's smell. To me it smells like the anestetic (sp- so tired, can't get it right lol) they used on me back when I was eight. *shudder* Awesome to know I could've done more then wait around for drier weather- arrgh LOL My fault, though I've been so busy with everything (Dr's appointments, argh) that I wouldn't have gotten much of anything done anyways. You guys are so helpful... and don't make me feel stupid for asking questions like this. It's very nice!
  6. What I have is Kilz2, Latex - interior/exterior water base. Primer/Sealer/Stainblocker (that gives me flashbacks to those ALL commercials- stain lifter, that's ALL!) After that, I've got acrylics and no other paints. From what you have all said though, I should be safe to use it to prime "after hours" - that is. after my son goes to bed. Heck, I can probably do it even when he's awake, I'd just have to worry about him trying to "help"! That's terrific I'd get all excited but the kiddo's excited enough for us both, and I'm trying to figure out why o.O
  7. I'll admit it. I've hedged, hemmed, and hawed over my two Michael's puzzle houses from last summer. Found out part of why I had no spunk though- and I am doing a little better. So, here it is- wet and rainy and cool, and I'd really like to finally prime one or both of these blasted things. But I don't have a spare place to do it. It's either do it here, in the living room (after my son is asleep- I'll fry my brain, but not his... and the rabbit's brain is already a bit toasty), or out on the deck. But I worry the deck is too cool, with some hefty wind gusts. And unpredictable rain storms. So... when they say "well ventilated"... is my closed living room enough? And what temperature is best? I could probably do them in my mother's garage, but it's cold and a little damp and a whole lot of dusty over there. I could wait, I'm sure- a few months- and then prime them up here outside. I'm mostly worried it just won't work right or might cause some nasty health issues. The fumes are apt to give me a migraine anyways, I don't need to be wheezing with it
  8. I made it onto one of the local news stations. I'm such an idiot here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8q4ubi5vMg Insurance company will cover it, but we won't know if it's going to be repaired or junked till tomorrow or the day after. Geez Wolfie... that's even more insane then what happened here!! O.o Can I admit now that guns scare the holy &*^@p out of me?
  9. I'm amazed no one was hurt honestly. As the guy down at the end kept saying, we've got a lot of kids around here! But there was NO ONE out there except the guy who may have been the target/returning fire. As far as I can tell, the only damage is some damage to the siding in a few places on the building, and... to the car. I thank heavens everyone's ok!! I think we have comprehensive insurance because of stuff like this. When we were in Ohio, we had someone tear our windshield wipers apart and then bend the wipers back the wrong way, and let all the air out of our tires. I think that was Labor Day too! Jeez. So we decided to get more then basic coverage- here's hoping. Haven't talked to insurance yet. Truth is, I don't even wanna be here. If I weren't waiting on their call, I'd probably be fixing to head to my mother's place. There is some irony- my mother moved us out of my grandmother's place in Portland when there was a shooting almost on the front porch when I was seven or eight. Now this? Honestly, until this I'd felt perfectly safe here- we'd not even really had much of the normal yelling/screaming or fighting I've come to expect from apartment life. There's been noisy parties a couple times, people leaving their kids unwatched, people talking loudly outside the windows at late hours... The worst thing was the robbery (or robberies?) around Christmas- someone breaking into the cars and stealing stuff out of them. That happens randomly all over the place around Christmas time though, sadly, so I can't say it's any reflection here.
  10. Yea. I'm still wt*!!! over it all. I was sitting here sorting out seed beads into single-color containers when I heard the LOUDEST bangs I've heard since the 4th of July when someone next door to my mother's was setting off real deal fire works. I told my son to SIT AND STAY on the couch and ducked for his room- it sounded like it was out back that way. Halfway across his room and I heard another round of reports- and felt them too. Got to the window, didn't see a thing. Didn't hear anything else, either. About 20min later I went and looked out his window again, and there were Sheriff outside. I went out, told 'em what I heard... and came back in. And then about an hour later, the guys from downstairs came up and told me our car had been shot! Seriously?! I went out... sure enough. Two bullet holes in the front panel on the driver's side. One hit the side of the fender, dimpled, and fell out. The other one... well, it went right into the engine compartment, through part of the air intake system (I think) and right into the ... battery. Thankfully it stopped in the battery, but the battery leaked allllll over. Later on we found some more bullets the police didn't get/find the first time around. I ended up showing them to the Sheriff who had to come out and fish the bullet out of the pan under the battery in our car. It's just all so weird and ... unreal! I should see the insurance people tomorrow. Hopefully we can get the car fixed- we do NOT have the money for this- we just managed to pay rent on time for the first time in a couple months on our own. There were no casualties (except our car) here in the complex. The Sheriff's officer who came to get the bullet from the car said they thought they may have found a victim (my guess is the guy who was originally being shot at/returning fire) about half an hour north of here. I'm late to bed now and probably won't sleep well. I'll have to haul a hose down and really wash off the battery crud tomorrow. Holy cow.
  11. He won't take that soup, but I sure will - I think I may be getting it! *headdesk* Auurrgh. Nathan's still sick, but he's not that bad thank heavens. His fever isn't climbing as high, but boy is he getting really MAD at that cough! Which I admit, amuses me... even though it shouldn't. He doesn't want his meds, so they get "hidden" in his juice. Hopefully he sleeps better tonight too- he woke up coughing a few times last night, got all mad. We've lost our cells sadly- he wanted to call his Daddy today and I had to tell him it didn't work anymore
  12. The windows are too plain O.o Need flower boxes or something, maybe. Otherwise it looks great! My step-dad would love that old-timey Coke machine
  13. Well, we're racking up another late fee, but we WILL MAKE IT- and possibly even nail next month's rent on time. It's going to be a hard month, still- and next month will be rough, too, but we should see things start falling into place hopefully. On the bad side, I found out why Nathan was being so clingy... He's sick! He's got a mild cold or some such. He's very rarely been sick (only once or twice in nearly four years), so he really doesn't know how to deal. He's still playing and such, but not sleeping too well and not being as active as usual. Low fever, cough, sneezes... poor kiddo. And only a week before his birthday, too!
  14. And the light bulb goes off. Nathan ADORES books, and I'm rather artistic in my fumbling way. I'll have to see what we can come up with. Salvation Army won't help us until we have a 72-hour eviction notice, at which point we owe a $75 late fee. A second one. So I'll either go down tomorrow and see if we can pay a half payment and pay the rest on the 7th or 14th, or see if I can work something out with my mother for a "loan" of sorts. My husband's mother is sending us some (more) money- enough, thank goodness, to pay the electric bill. Tomorrow I've got to figure out what our local phone company's number is and call them to ask about costs, then hopefully cancel our net/phone/cable bill. We got it drastically cut, but at the moment even the low price it shoves at us is too much. The only bills I'm worrying about are rent, car insurance, and electricity. Everything else will just have to wait! ... Ah, and the old car loan, since I don't want to be sued over that one >.>
  15. Sorry I haven't replied. The heat had me hiding at my mother's place for the better part of the week! We just came back home last night- it was soooo nice to sleep in my own bed, without a toddler trying to plaster himself to me all night o.o Monday I'll be calling Salvation army. I got a huge run around just trying to find places & numbers for help, but I think we'll get there. If they can't help, we'll scrape together something somehow, but we'll get a second late fee and... have nothing for bills, including electricity o.o I did the math, came up with figures- with rent, without rent, excluding some bills. We're pretty low no matter what. As I told my brother, we'd be fine if we were caught up... but we're falling behind just trying to catch up. We will get through- one way or another, and we'll get rent paid if nothing else. We'll have food too, since we've got food stamps- thank goodness they'll be in tomorrow, as we're running out of bread and milk and such. Monday I'll also be going in to talk to the managers if Salvation Army or someplace else can't help- as they'll let us pay half now, half later on a specified date, but I don't know how the late fee works then. Sometimes I wish we could just take out a small loan, pay the bills off/down and then just make payments until taxes came in come Feburary. We'd be able to pay it all then! I can't stop worrying about it, honestly. It intrudes on my thoughts like an unwelcomed family visitor who's staying over for a week and sleeping on the hide a bed. And can someone hand me a pry bar? PLEASE? Or toddler repellant? I've had Nathan plastering himself to me for the last two days- and off and on for the last week! I love him dearly, but didn't we seperate in a permanent manner some near-four years ago?! Thank you all SO MUCH for the prayers. They are hugely appreciated and very needed- and I hope everyone here who is having problems gets all the help (AND MORE!) they deserve and need. Nathan's birthday is the 12th. Thankfully his grandmother can afford gifts for him for it- I think Dave and I both feel a bit like failures since we probably can't manage that. I told Dave though - "Hey, a roof over his head is a pretty dang good thing, regardless." Bitter pill, that.