• Dollhouse Building Experience
    One
  • Real Name
    Christopher
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

992 profile views
  1. A tropical conservatory with the big trees, vines, flowers and an elementary class on a field trip there....
  2. A Great website for exterior "eye candy" and ideas is www.historichousecolors.com it's a company that helps old home owners know what colors are appropriate for the period of their home so the site has some great before and after pictures.
  3. Your revisions look great! I love the idea of the cellar stair door under the front stairway. I was also thinking that perhaps one of those little back rooms off the kitchen could have a secondary staircase to the 2nd story? Those were common even in homes of that size without servants. My 1888 Victorian home was built by a doctor so it's large and the 3rd floor has 2 rooms that were meant as servant's quarters and had the pantry off the kitchen which was later turned into a powder room. I hope to post pictures of my home soon so that maybe someone can find some inspiration and I also need help choosing colors for the exterior. Also thanks for telling us about the program you use. I downloaded it and i can't wait to use it for DH projects and RL ones too! Christopher
  4. In the 1890's they would have had a bathroom but not likely on the first floor. It could have had a box to put a chamber pot in and then a wooden seat on top. The tub would have been filled by hand or could have had a pump in the basement that would have pumped water up to the tub. This is also about the time that conventional plumbing was coming into real fashion in major cities. I think one of the back rooms off of the kitchen would have been a butler's pantry with lots of cabinets etc and possibly a sink. I think that room with all the windows would make a great casual type living room for the family to use and the other room would be the formal living room only used on holidays and with company.
  5. Is she a Russian Blue? She's beautiful, but the Russian Blue I had was the craziest cat I've ever met!!!
  6. the tag board didn't get that heavy... I just stuck it to the walls then with double stick tape so that it make redecorating in a few years a lot easier! I also used tacky glue.
  7. there are pics in my gallery of the beadboard I made with skinny sticks for the kitchen in my Willow..... I cut them to length and glued to posterboard templates.
  8. I think in this case it's also important to remember that while you want the story of your house to be in the 1890's the house would have been built before that and the family would have been collecting items throughout their life so it's perfectly normal to have a mix of different styles and eras all in the same house or even room... as long as the styles come before 1890 of course and are not contemporary to now! hahahah Having the mix will give you that sense of history and like a true family lives there. You're doing a great job on this!
  9. Friends of mine have a Craftsman Bungalow shaped just like this new house!! Another common feature in these homes are book cases with glass doors that divide the living and dining rooms and they have square pillars/columns on top of them going to the ceiling forming an archway of sorts between the rooms..... here are some other neat websites with info and pictures on this house style.... bungalow style guide 1903 bungalow renovation someone's photo set on Flickr of Craftsman Bungalow I hope these links work correctly.... it's my first time putting them in a post!!! B)
  10. Ok before everyone thinks I'm totally anal retentive I must say that I have not done this yet but as I get more and more furniture and accessories I've been really thinking about it..... I will either put my items in the drawers of an old desk that I have the Willow I'm building on or in plastic bins sorted by room AND put a sheet of paper in each drawer or bin with the description of what is in there.. ie double bed with blue spread, 2 light oak night stands, etc. Could also note which house or even room in the house they are meant to be used for and for more expensive items I may even note the date of purchase and the price. Is this totally over the top?!?
  11. It's beautiful now! The flow of the room is great and the lighter colors just make it feel pulled together and complete! Great job!
  12. another suggestion would be to put the sofa face the fireplace and make that the parlor area and move the table over by the door...that makes more sense to me visually... it would be odd to walk in the door right into the middle of the seating area but to walk in by the table isn't so unusual... just my opinion though....
  13. I made mine out of skinny sticks..... cut heavy cardstock the height and length I needed for each wall and glued the skinny sticks to the cardstock and then painted and used double stick tape to adhere to the wall....
  14. I think it's a GREAT idea and you are a graphics pro.... looks like it belongs in the picture!! I however would only put it there if you can put the chimney going up through the second floor and out the room to be the most realistic.... unless of course it's a new vent free fireplace! hahahahaha IMHO it would look odd without the chimney in the correct spot.
  15. 1888VictorianWI

New Curtains

In the previous picture I thought your draperies were Real Life size....but see now they are mini which makes them even more spectacular!! I'd love to hear how you made them!!!