Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Two
  • Real Name
    Jen
  • Country
    United States
  1. Does anyone have the furniture instructions for the Storybook Cottage. I lost mine. Thanks in advance.
  2. This is the particular unit I was thinking of purchasing... does anyone have any experience with this one? Can I split the lights up or and more lights to each circuit? Ultimate 12V Flickering Fireplace Unit Item #10871 Provides the most realistic flickering fire effects available- no flashes, but a gentle, warm glow. The unit comes with 4 bulbs; three flicker and one constant. Each flicker bulb is controlled by a separate electronic circuit, creating its own independent flash rate. The bulbs can be installed either in the supplied coal insert or used separately in an existing fireplace. Can also be used to create a flickering Christmas tree- just use #102010 or #102011 instead of the bulbs included. 1 1/2"W x 3/8"H x 7/8"D
  3. Laura - welcome ... I'm new at this too and have found great comfort and advice here in the forums! Everyone is so helpful and someone here knows exactly how to answer almost any question! :groucho: I have spent countless hours looking at the gallery to get ideas for my beacon hill. Seeing completed projects helps me plan as I go along.
  4. Oh she's a Beast in so many ways! I've only made two dollhouses before, an orchid and something about that size... the BH is a beast to basically be starting with as it's been years (decades?). She is a beast that has completely taken over my two car garage... not to mention my life, time, money, resources, and every free waking moments... not to mention dreams. But she will be my beautiful Beast. I have delusions of grandeur in a haunting way. She will be about 5-6 ft when done and place on a 3ft system of caverns.... and beast will roam her Beast-y bones before long! Yet I have fallen so deeply for my Beacon Beast! I doubt she'll ever be a grand or polished as some of the amazing BH's I've seen here... but she will be very unique. My son is jealous of my my unconditional love towards "my new daughter" hee hee! :groucho:
  5. Wow! Congratulations. I can't even imagine getting to that age... i mean status! 1000 POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You should scrapbook them
  6. I'm hoping this is where I can ask questions.... i'd like to move out of the newbie introductions! The flickering fireplace unit I'm considering has four bulbs (3 flicker 1 non-flicker). Can I split these bulbs between two or three fireplaces? The fireplaces are directly above each other ... so I know "I can" do this. but will splitting the bulbs between more then one fireplace change the effect dramatically or can I get away with it? I'm wiring my beacon beast with tape wire. I've got a pretty good idea where I want everything down the line. However funds are not available to get the chandeliers I want now.. or even soon. I want to paper and tin the roofs.... but I also wanted to run the chandeliers up through the roof to a tape on the floor above. I'm thinking that I don't want to have to wait to do this until I can afford lighting... that I could install the cir-kit chandelier adapters now... finish the room... and add lighting later. Does this sound like the best idea or does anyone have any others? Thanks!
  7. Thanks Steve! My "basic" tool kit has already grown! Two rolly carts full! I have found I can't live without my new collection of little shaped metal files! I would have so broken the Beacon Beast without them!
  8. I love the tile! Where did you find it? Wish I could translate your blog.... you do beautiful work! Aloha, Jen
  9. Do you enjoy the building? Will this be the first of many? Jen
  10. I love the model of the Munsters house.... but I didn't see any inside pictures.... I would love to see if they did the staircase and spot. Here's a website that shows extensive photo's of the house throughout time, including current, models and a floor plan. http://www.freewebs.com/themunsterstoday/house.htm
  11. Okay so............. I'm going to make my basement opening with a sharp utility knife or x-acto knife. Now that I've gotten an answer I have a million more questions. But as I sort them out in my mind... I have an observation. THEN: I love this forum.... but boy is is a Pandora's box. I had a simple plan to get back into the swing of building. HA HA HA HA simple plan! I WAS going to just make a small kit to specs and practice techniques. NOW: I'm completely overwhelmed and the build is on hold while the plan becomes anything but simple. My little kit is now the BH beast. My building to specs has already sent me to the county permit office for many amendments . My simple question of what tool to kit bash with ... came back with Holly's excellent answer ... and her weighted question "why not bash and extra wall and a real door". I know this SEEMS like an innocent enough suggestion but wait till your hear where's it got me..... add a real door... sure why not... but then I decided that my Phantom Mansion was probably built on a hill of rock. I didn't have enough rooms to do everything I wanted ... so if I did a real door... why not just add a real basement. WAIT a basement is not spooky and how would they build a basement in such a tough rocky lot???????????? What my BH needs to be built over an elaborate system of caves. CAVES!!!! yes that works. So know I'm thinking of building an entire stand... sort of structurally like a bookcase that I will then create an elaborate system of tunnels, space for wiring & transformers, and extra haunted space for the really spooky. Rough plan involves creating "rock" surfaces thoughout the caverns. I envision about 3ft of tunnels raising the BH up to 6.5ft at it's peak. I've always worked with water features .... so why shouldn't the caverns have a small riverlet and still pond (yes real water)..... if there's water below in the caverns why don't I have a working well in the yard with a bucket that lowers to the still pond. Since I have a yard and need a grave yard .... why don't I have an additional entry to the caves from the yard and the face of the mountain/stand... then I needs stone stairs and ladders down the face of the mountain/stand........................ Sure a "simple" project and an "innocent" suggestion. :lol: Wish me luck I'm on the three year plan from the start and I will keep you all posted. Nichole - I love your furniture .... decadent colors... looks rich and comfy. Let me know when your making a trip out to paradise... we have a guest room (unless the BH beast takes over that as well as the two car garage). I'll start making my shopping list :woohoo: Doors open anytime ... unlimited avocados, limes, mango's........... ocean views....... pool........ perfect but no mini's or mini friends. Holly ........ thank you for all your great answers and inspirations... I'm sure i'll appreciate the mess it gets me into! Jen (the mini-mally insane today)
  12. Hello... I'm brand new to this community and intimidated. I can't figure out where i'm supposed to post what! There's too much here! I've spent 10 hrs reading posts this week and have not scratched the surface!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm working on a BH (by working ... I mean mentally as I've barely started) This is only my third dh and I have worked on one in at least a decade. I need mentors and folks who won't be bothered my dozens of questions. Hunting and pecking on the posts doesn't seem to work for me. I want fast answers or this dh will NEVER get done! :woohoo: Any one will to take me under their wing? My first question is what people use (saw/knife/etc.) to kit bash. I need to make a trap door to the basement. My second question is how to make the stock doors movable? Will gluing on the houseworks hinges work okay? My third question is: AM I ALL ALONE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN ... THE ONLY MINIATURE LOVER STRANDED ON AN ISLAND IN PARADISE. shipping is a pain!!!!!!!!!! No stores here! Shipping costs bucks... takes years... and often requires much repairs to the shipped items. :lol: Thanks for listening Jen
  13. I just found your May Beacon Hill posts and I'm wondering how far you've gotten, Karin? I just got my Beacon Hill after a nightmare of trying to find reasonable shipping to Hawaii (Wal-Mart.com of all places ended up being most reasonable). Does anyone have specific BH tips for starting? Would you mind if I bug you as I bumble my way through it? This is my third kit but first in the last decade-ish! I bought the beacon for a haunted house. Has the authentic feel to me. Looking at pictures on-line I noticed it looks a great deal like the phantom mansion in Disneyland Paris. So that's my inspiration.