• Online Community Building Projects No
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name brae
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

27130 profile views
  1. Roof complete

From the album HC - Creatin' Contest 2018

I was originally going to use Houseworks 8-light windows for the skylights, but one fit perfectly and the other didn't.  Since they would be right across from one another, there was no way to disguise the variation.  I checked the kit windows, and they were the same size.  Since they come as separate fronts and backs, they are easier to paint and finish.  Plus, you don't have to worry about slight differences in wall/roof thickness.  I painted the interiors White Birch and the exteriors Slate Green, both by Americana. I cut new acrylic inserts since the kit glass was smaller than the full opening, and I didn't want them to shift out of place.  I added some aging to the exteriors. With these installed, the structure itself is complete except for the back wall, which I hope to finish this week.  (eek!)   

© brae oktober

2. Skylight interior

I was originally going to use Houseworks 8-light windows for the skylights, but one fit perfectly and the other didn't.  Since they would be right across from one another, there was no way to disguise the variation.  I checked the kit windows, and they were the same size.  Since they come as separate fronts and backs, they are easier to paint and finish.  Plus, you don't have to worry about slight differences in wall/roof thickness.  I painted the interiors White Birch and the exteriors Slate Green, both by Americana.  I cut new acrylic inserts since the kit glass was smaller than the full opening, and I didn't want them to shift out of place. The interiors blend well.  I thought dark brown rectangles would be too much, so I didn't stain them to match the rest of the trim.  I think this was the right choice. With these installed, the structure itself is complete except for the back wall, which I hope to finish this week.  (eek!)     

© brae oktober

3. Skylight exterior

I was originally going to use Houseworks 8-light windows for the skylights, but one fit perfectly and the other didn't.  Since they would be right across from one another, there was no way to disguise the variation.  I checked the kit windows, and they were the same size.  Since they come as separate fronts and backs, they are easier to paint and finish.  Plus, you don't have to worry about slight differences in wall/roof thickness.  I painted the interiors White Birch and the exteriors Slate Green, both by Americana. I cut new acrylic inserts since the kit glass was smaller than the full opening, and I didn't want them to shift out of place.  I added some aging to the exteriors. With these installed, the structure itself is complete except for the back wall, which I hope to finish this week.  (eek!)   

© brae oktober

4. Sewing machine close-up

Thank you!!!   
  5. Linus the inchworm

Thank you so much!     Sounds like a super cute book!
  6. Sewing in mini

Thank you so much!    Finn was made by JMDS Miniatures on eBay.
  7. False fireplace insert

Thank you!   
  8. I love the sleuthing going on around here.    That is a great find, and I am eager to see what you do with it.
  9. Sewing machine close-up

From the album The Maple Room

I've entered a mini scene in a fabric contest sponsored by Fabricworm.com.  Linus is the Fabricworm mascot, and everyone entering had to use this fabric for their entry.  I've made a set of building block pillows to feature Linus and his inchworm form.  Finn is napping after wearing himself out with the yarn. The Bodo Hennig sewing machine is one of my favorite minis.  You can lift the presser foot to place fabric underneath.  I didn't get my high powered readers out to see if I could thread it, but I wouldn't doubt it.   Maybe next time.... Full post here.

© brae oktober

10. Linus the inchworm

I've entered a mini scene in a fabric contest sponsored by Fabricworm.com.  Linus is the Fabricworm mascot, and everyone entering had to use this fabric for their entry.  I've made a set of building block pillows to feature Linus and his inchworm form.  Finn is napping after wearing himself out with the yarn. Full post here.

© brae oktober

11. Sewing in mini

I've entered a mini scene in a fabric contest sponsored by Fabricworm.com.  Linus is the Fabricworm mascot, and everyone entering had to use this fabric for their entry.  I've made a set of building block pillows to feature Linus and his inchworm form.  Finn is napping after wearing himself out with the yarn. The Bodo Hennig sewing machine is one of my favorite minis.  You can lift the presser foot to place fabric underneath.  I didn't get my high powered readers out to see if I could thread it, but I wouldn't doubt it.   Maybe next time.... Full post here.

© brae oktober

12. False fireplace insert

Since my fireplace is only for show, I made a flat brick insert from egg carton bricks instead of a firebox.  I glued the bricks to a paper grid and then cut the insert to fit.  Before installing, I painted the bricks Neutral Grey and then used spackling for the grout.  I didn't want any color to clash with the fire screen, which is black and gold, and the grey brings out the marble detailing.  I used a piece of thin cardstock to attach the brick insert to the fireplace. I think this will be lovely with the baseboards and fire screen installed.  I'm not sure I need a hearth since there will be no logs or even candles.  More on that to come.

© brae oktober

13. Gardening....

Yeah, there's always pressure!  But, the kind encouragement always helps, so thank you!!
  14. French side table

Thank you!!! 
  15. Trestle table

This is a House of Miniatures trestle stand.  I opted for a stained finish. After filling in any minor gaps with wood putty, I stained the piece Minwax Dark Walnut. I touched up any glue/putty areas with brown paint and then added a coat of Delta Ceramcoat Satin Varnish.

© brae oktober