• Real Name brae
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

25496 profile views
  1. Brick porch landing in progress

Thank you!! 
  2. Édouard

From the album Watson Mill

My dear friend Martha sent me a lovely gift in the mail.  She painted a portrait of Gustav's father Édouard for Watson Mill.  So delightful!  I can clearly see the resemblance and an inherited fashion sense!

© brae oktober

3. Brick porch landing in progress

From the album HC - Creatin' Contest 2018

I'm going with a brick base again, so I was back to the egg carton brickwork.  I like to work on bricks with the panels still removable, but this can cause problems with alignment even with careful measuring.  Luckily, there is landscaping planned to disguise any obvious issues.  Plus, grouting tends to even things out a lot. For the porch landing, I wanted a straight brick border with a herringbone center.  I started with the front step, using vertical bricks on the riser.  I couldn't find a true example of this in real life from a quick image search, but it doesn't look terribly out of place.  I just didn't want to carry the horizontal rows from the front and side walls around the porch step.  I'm replacing the porch post with a Houseworks turned post, so I had to fill in the space a little with strip wood. For the herringbone center, I printed 1/4" square graph paper.  The bricks don't align to the grid perfectly as you glue them in place, but it is the best tool for keeping things relatively on track from row to row.  I spaced these very close since this is a walkway and I wanted to minimize the grout.  A welcome mat and plant pots are great for masking any inconsistencies. Once I had the herringbone pattern glued to the paper, I cut a template to determine the best layout.  I marked the border, cut the herringbone section and glued the paper to the porch.  Now I can finish the straight border. I still have the long side wall and back to brick as well.  There will also be a brick walkway later in the landscaping phase. Full post here

© brae oktober

4. Removable wall in two parts

I'm making a small room up front under the gable.  I cut a 1/4" thick plywood board to fit the space.  I'm using a Classics narrow door since other interior doors looked too big proportionally. I want to be able to access the front room more than the narrow door will allow, so I will be making the insert wall removable.  This is a bit of hassle since I don't want the board to have gaps all around it nor do I want to continually risk scuffing the floor and ceiling moving it around.  So, I cut the wall into two pieces - one will be a permanent part of the structure and one will be fully removable with the door acting as the handle. This will make a lot more sense once I get the trims in place, but here is the plan in dry fit.  The outer side panels and upper panel will be permanent, but the door and its surrounding panel will be one removable unit.

© brae oktober

5. Removable wall trim plan

I'm making a small room up front under the gable.  I cut a 1/4" thick plywood board to fit the space.  I'm using a Classics narrow door since other interior doors looked too big proportionally. I want to be able to access the front room more than the narrow door will allow, so I will be making the insert wall removable.  This is a bit of hassle since I don't want the board to have gaps all around it nor do I want to continually risk scuffing the floor and ceiling moving it around.  So, I cut the wall into two pieces - one will be a permanent part of the structure and one will be fully removable with the door acting as the handle. This will make a lot more sense once I get the trims in place, but here is the plan in dry fit.  The outer side panels and upper panel will be permanent, but the door and its surrounding panel will be one removable unit.

© brae oktober

6. Cast resin bottles

I am about to try this process for a different project, so this is super helpful.  They turned out great!  
  7. Finn

I'm glad you all love him, too. Here is the artist's eBay site: https://www.ebay.com/usr/jmdsminiatures
  8. Finn

From the album Misc minis

This adorable meow is Finn.  He is made by JMDS.  He apparently wandered into the HC and fell asleep when work ceased for the evening.  I won't wake him right now, but this evening he will have to move so I can continue my work.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  9. Altered interior

Thank you! 
  10. Final shape

Thank you! 
  11. Lake View BoatHouse037.jpg

This is gorgeous work! 
  12. Altered interior

I know I should be further along in the build, but that's life.  And, life has been great.  I now have the final shape of the building.  I cut six inches from the depth, so now it's much more cottage-y.  I've filled windows on both sides but still need to cut the new front wall openings. I cut a new enclosed gable board to have more wall space inside.  The roof now has two smaller matching skylights as well.  I will be using the main roof beam but I don't want to cut it until I know exactly what I'll need for the back wall. I plan to have a partially hinged back but the mdf kit wall is very heavy, so I will likely cut replacement parts from plywood.
  13. Final shape

I know I should be further along in the build, but that's life.  And, life has been great.  I now have the final shape of the building.  I cut six inches from the depth, so now it's much more cottage-y.  I've filled windows on both sides but still need to cut the new front wall openings. The roof now has two smaller matching skylights as well.  I will be using the main roof beam but I don't want to cut it until I know exactly what I'll need for the back wall. I plan to have a partially hinged back but the mdf kit wall is very heavy, so I will likely cut replacement parts from plywood.
  14. BookcasewithBronzes.jpg

I love this project!   
  15. FinishedFireplace2.jpg

Gorgeous!  I love the colors, and the fireplace is superb!