• Online Community Building Projects No
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name brae
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

27989 profile views
  1. Initial prep completed

From the album Misc Adventures

Once I removed the mane last time and saw the slit in the neck, I thought it might be easier to leave the slit to add the mane.  I could glue the hair deeper into the body for a more secure bond.  The slit does go to the top of the head, so I've cleaned it out and widened it to the withers. I used the Dremel to remove the tail nub left behind from breaking it off and then sanded the tail area.  I sanded the few bad places from the deconstruction and then wet sanded the whole horse by hand with 320 grit.  The finish on the plastic was very smooth and I wanted to make sure I had a good grip for the primer.  I also removed the molded copyright from the inner thigh, random mold lines, and any other imperfections in the manufacturing process. Full post here.

© brae oktober

2. Face alterations

I drilled holes in the nostrils with a pin vise and fine-tuned the mouth with an X-Acto blade.  You can already see a difference in the realism. Full post here.

© brae oktober

3. Vintage farm

Thank you! 
  4. Contest

Thanks so much, everyone!!! 
  5. Contest

Thanks so much!!! 
  6. N scale shingles

From the album Riverwood Cabin

Planning ahead, I bought shingles from Ultimatetrains.  The kit shingles are printed and good quality, but I wanted to try true texture. The kit manufacturer has included guide marks for shingle strips if you happen to buy them as a supplement to the kit, which is just awesome.  Less prep work is always awesome.  

© brae oktober

7. House color

From the album Riverwood Cabin

The instructions indicate that painting and staining work better before assembly, so I am going to start there.  For the front and back siding, I've chosen Villa Green by Folk Art.  It's a lovely teal/seafoam mix.  Since it's just the front and back, I didn't think the brighter color would overwhelm.    

© brae oktober

8. Easy cutter Not so easy:(

Jackie - the old version I have has a blade you can change.  The current replacement blades on the market work with those old versions.  It's the new body that's problematic.
  9. Easy cutter Not so easy:(

No, they never responded. 
  10. Easy cutter Not so easy:(

I ran into an issue with my Easy Cutter Ultimate.  I had the old version, which works better than the newer version.  Here's my write-up on the two versions.  I love my old one but the new one was disappointing.  If you can find an old one on eBay or such, you can easily replace the blade. http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/easy-cutter-ultimate
  11. Mane removed

Thanks for the viscose and embroidery floss tips.  I'll try a few different materials as samples before adding the final to the horse.
  12. Mane removed

In the time since I bought the horse, the plastic mane has lifted from the neck.  In all honesty, it could have been like this all along and I just didn't notice it.  It made it easier to wedge in some pliers to pry off the mane. One thing I didn't like about the plastic mane from the beginning was that it was formed on the side away from the direction of the horse's gaze.  Removing it for a mohair mane means I can style the hair toward the front. I cleaned up the spine with a utility blade and will fine tune by sanding.  The gap will need to be filled, though it might be a good way to add the mane more securely.  I'll think on that a bit.  I need to replace the putty I bought three years ago since I don't want to take the chance that it has gone bad.

© brae oktober

13. Face detail

The nostrils might benefit from drilling in a deeper hole and the mouth could use some fine-tuning.  I'll need to sand the mold line on the tip of the snout.  The eyes are great, so I will take care not to paint over those.

© brae oktober

14. 160127-horse16s.jpg

I've made a burrowing owl, chicks, hens and fish, but I've always left the more complex animals to the artisans.  I have wanted to add a 1:12 scale horse to my collection awhile now, and I am finally making some time for it. I'll be starting with a 1:12 scale Breyer Thoroughbred.  Adding flocking or fur adds bulk, so I thought I would start with the leanest horse model available.  My plan is to remove the plastic tail and molded mane to add mohair instead.  I'll also fur or flock the body.  This entire process has the keen ability to end in disaster anywhere along the line, but the materials are all relatively inexpensive so therefore worth the effort even if I end up having to trash one model to get to the better, final result. The wood model is the equivalent of someone 5' 9" tall.

© brae oktober

15. Vintage farm

I've made a burrowing owl, chicks, hens and fish, but I've always left the more complex animals to the artisans.  I have wanted to add a 1:12 scale horse to my collection awhile now, and I am finally making some time for it. I'll be starting with a 1:12 scale Breyer Thoroughbred.  Adding flocking or fur adds bulk, so I thought I would start with the leanest horse model available.  My plan is to remove the plastic tail and molded mane to add mohair instead.  I'll also fur or flock the body.  This entire process has the keen ability to end in disaster anywhere along the line, but the materials are all relatively inexpensive so therefore worth the effort even if I end up having to trash one model to get to the better, final result. Baslow Ranch works well for a backdrop as needed.

© brae oktober