otterine

Platinum Member
  • Days Won

Everything posted by otterine

1. From the album: Old Garage

Ratty side door - tetanus shot suggested. This is made of plastic and paint, and I love its transformation to corroded metal with peeling paint.

© brae oktober

2. otterine

Door - exterior

From the album: Old Garage

Ratty side door - tetanus shot suggested. This is made of plastic and paint, and I love its transformation to corroded metal with peeling paint.

© brae oktober

3. From the album: Old Garage

I've started the long process of applying egg carton cinder blocks, which will be applied inside and out. I needed to start around the glass block window since it will a point of focus. The blocks surrounding the window need to be balanced. I opted for a sill and lintel to make things a little easier. There's just enough room to trim around the window for a solid fit.

© brae oktober

4. From the album: Old Garage

This door was built from a 3D printed design I purchased online. I have the basic aging done and windows installed. There will be final aging later, but it's mostly complete. The original had 3D printed hinges molded into the design, but these were more delicate than I wanted. I shaved those off, filled the holes and used mini metal hinges.

© brae oktober

5. From the album: Old Garage

This door was built from a 3D printed design I purchased online. I have the basic aging done and windows installed. There will be final aging later, but it's mostly complete.

© brae oktober

6. From the album: Old Garage

Made a quick bullet hole and like it well enough to use it as is.

© brae oktober

7. otterine

Aged glass

From the album: Old Garage

Dirtied up the window panes. :]

© brae oktober

8. From the album: Old Garage

I've started making a glass block window, and I am very pleased with the progress so far. It looks like real glass, and the surface is wavy like the real deal, too. Next up will be figuring out an approximation of a hopper vent (the tiny window insert that allows for airflow). As you know, I freely share nearly every process when I make things with very few exceptions. This process is one of those exceptions, so there is no tutorial or materials list at this time.

© brae oktober

9. From the album: Old Garage

I've started making a glass block window, and I am very pleased with the progress so far. It looks like real glass, and the surface is wavy like the real deal, too. Next up will be figuring out an approximation of a hopper vent (the tiny window insert that allows for airflow). As you know, I freely share nearly every process when I make things with very few exceptions. This process is one of those exceptions, so there is no tutorial or materials list at this time.

© brae oktober

10. From the album: Old Garage

© brae oktober

11. otterine

IMG_2562.jpg

It looks beautiful!
  12. otterine

Misc minis

Items for future projects or just because I love them! :D
  13. From the album: Misc minis

I bought the white Robox with the intent of altering the color to be more mechanical. I opted for dye since I thought paint would possibly gum up the works, and the robot would lose mobility. After some testing on spare parts, I used RIT Dye More in Frost Grey. My end result was a 95% success. In an unexpected but promising turn, the joints turned darker and that would save me time trying to detail those. One calf and one forearm turned a slightly different shade of grey with more brown in it; the calf is the most obvious. The functionality was impacted slightly in that the ball joints are very tight now (I suspect the heat impacted the two types of plastic differently), except the head rolls about. I added some mini hold wax to the head joint and fixed that issue. I will add some lubricant to the other joints once my final detailing is complete. I will add further details and aging, but I am pleased with the results so far. I can work on the mismatched coloration, or perhaps he's had an overhaul or two with not-quite-right replacement parts. Full post here.

© brae oktober

14. otterine

Robox at rest

Yeah, he's a character!
  15. From the album: Ivy Hollow - Rural Free Delivery Post Office

Just a detail shot I forgot to upload when I finished my recap blog post.

© brae oktober

16. HBS Creatin' Contest 2019 Rural Free Delivery has come to the village of Ivy Hollow! Mr. McCants and his trusty equine companion Jebediah will make sure your mail arrives at your home safely and in a timely manner. Register your address at the local post office today! ------ RFD - Rural Free Delivery - transformed the landscape of rural towns by removing the arduous chore of traveling long miles to the post office as well as providing greater access to goods and services. Mail order increased purchasing options for individuals and fueled business. Mail carriers were responsible for providing their own wagons and horses, having to traverse poor roads in all types of weather. RFD eventually led to the Rural Post Roads Act, which further developed rural communities by improving roads. I set my post office in 1917, a number of years after the advent of RFD. The mail wagon passenger cabin was scratch built and fitted over a doctor's buggy kit chassis. Jebediah the horse started as a plastic Breyer model.
  17. From the album: Ivy Hollow - Rural Free Delivery Post Office

© brae oktober

18. From the album: Ivy Hollow - Rural Free Delivery Post Office

© brae oktober

19. otterine

Moonlit night

From the album: Misc minis

I once again went to a Paint Nite event at a local restaurant and brought a mini sized canvas instead of using the provided canvas. The mini canvas was made using textured scrapbook paper glued to mat board with spray adhesive and then coated with white acrylic. It has a more subtle texture than the canvas note cards used previously, so I will likely use this base in the future.

© brae oktober

20. otterine

Robox in action

I've been doing a bit of something different in building droid models for a friend and myself. During my research, I ran across an action figure from 2018 called Robox. This is made by 1000toys and comes in white (pale grey) and black (military). I don't think they are still manufactured, so I had to scout around until I found one on eBay. Robox (yet to be named) is much more flexible than the wood models I've used before. I plan to do some detailing to him, but he's already so much fun.

© brae oktober

21. otterine

Robox at rest

I've been doing a bit of something different in building droid models for a friend and myself. During my research, I ran across an action figure from 2018 called Robox. This is made by 1000toys and comes in white (pale grey) and black (military). I don't think they are still manufactured, so I had to scout around until I found one on eBay. Robox (yet to be named) is much more flexible than the wood models I've used before. I plan to do some detailing to him, but he's already so much fun.

© brae oktober

22. From the album: Misc minis

Making new pillows...

© brae oktober

23. From the album: Misc minis

Making new pillows...

© brae oktober

24. I was wondering who would get that kit!! Congrats!