otterine

Platinum Member
  • Days Won

Everything posted by otterine

1. otterine

Tree foliage

From the album: Ivy Hollow - Rural Free Delivery Post Office

Sprouting foliage! Good thing I chose autumn, so my tree can be sparse.

© brae oktober

2. You could make a lamp from a bead and paper shade.
  3. From the album: Ivy Hollow - Rural Free Delivery Post Office

I'm going to paint the final finish on Jebediah in the coming days, so I've masked the eyes again and applied the final primer coat. I will likely not be adding flocking over the paint after seeing how much handling needs to be done when attaching and, especially, tightening the buckles of the bridle. I know I can get a good approximation of hair on the body with paint, and the mane and tail will no longer be plastic to help drive the realism. I'll be using mohair for the mane and tail.

© brae oktober

4. otterine

Wiring shed

I need to be able to access the wiring, but there was no room in my tiny post office. I'm building a shed in the back that will allow me to hide the wiring while looking like a planned part of the build.

© brae oktober

5. From the album: Ivy Hollow - Rural Free Delivery Post Office

The pump was an unfinished metal mini from the local shows, and I had the bucket in my stash. I built the platform to hold both pieces.

© brae oktober

6. otterine

Finished wheel

Krylon Cherry Red gloss spray paint over white primer over grey primer.

© brae oktober

7. otterine

Bench seat in back

Aw, thanks so much, Kathie!!
  8. otterine

Mailbag

Thank you! Yes, I found an inspiration bag, though it had more stripes closer together. I worried about bleed in printing.
  9. From the album: Ivy Hollow - Rural Free Delivery Post Office

A comfortable bench seat. This had to be built with the doors held in place to make sure there was clearance for the sliding doors on either side. I'll make a padded cushion for a softer ride.

© brae oktober

10. otterine

Front sorter

In the beginning, postal carriers were photographed with satchels, but I've always liked the look of the sorters inside some mail wagons I've seen, including my inspiration. There wasn't a lot of room, but I was able to add a few cubbyholes. These wouldn't necessarily be reserved as one per household on the route but a way to sort along the way. I added a window lock from my stash of interesting hardware (not sure where I even got them or the manufacturer). The lock bar actually slides, though it doesn't matter much for my non-working window. I'm thinking the hook on the top would hold the window open, maybe? I'll definitely add small hinges to complete the look of my non-operating front window.

© brae oktober

11. otterine

Exterior finish

Midnight blue with semi-gloss spray sealer.

© brae oktober

12. otterine

Mailbag

We have to receive our mail in bulk at the tiny post office, mostly likely by rail. I printed and sewed a simple mailbag design, then stuffed the mailbag with faux letter bundles and wood parcels. Though it's hard to tell in the photo, the fabric is just thin enough that the colors and patterns of the faux mail add to the realism of what's inside.

© brae oktober

13. From the album: Ivy Hollow - Rural Free Delivery Post Office

We have to receive our mail in bulk at the tiny post office, mostly likely by rail. I printed and sewed a simple mailbag design, then stuffed the mailbag with faux letter bundles and wood parcels. Though it's hard to tell in the photo, the fabric is just thin enough that the colors and patterns of the faux mail add to the realism of what's inside.

© brae oktober

14. otterine

Interior trims

Thank you!! About made me blind cutting those tiny labels of 3.5 point type.
  15. otterine

Interior trims

A sneak peek of the interior trims being put in place. The roof (and ceiling beam) will remain removable. It's a little hard to see, but I used wood flooring sheets to make the ceiling, then painted the surface vintage white.

© brae oktober

16. otterine

20191125-140101.jpg

Clean lines and great finish!
  17. Before I became comfortable cutting things myself, I would ask for help from people with those skills. Have a person in your circle that is handy with cutting tools?
  18. otterine

Open gate

I made a gate from scrap wood and Tiny Turnings, making it up as I went along. Right now, I have it propped in place with wax. Once I have the final layout, I'll add a stop on the side of the counter to keep the gate from swinging too far. At first, I thought the spindles probably could have been closer together, but in the end, I like that the spindles are sparse. It allows more to be seen through it.

© brae oktober

19. otterine

Closed gate

I made a gate from scrap wood and Tiny Turnings, making it up as I went along. Right now, I have it propped in place with wax. Once I have the final layout, I'll add a stop on the side of the counter to keep the gate from swinging too far. At first, I thought the spindles probably could have been closer together, but in the end, I like that the spindles are sparse. It allows more to be seen through it.

© brae oktober

20. otterine

Tree and foliage

Thank you! Yes, those cat food trays are the best for corralling small parts.