robedsaul

Silver Member
  • Last visited

0 Neutral

About robedsaul

Previous Fields

• Country
    United States
  1. (I also posted this question under "Questions about a particular house," but this forum seems to get more activity, so thought I'd post it here too)... I've begun my first dollhouse ever, the Arthur, which I receive as a Christmas present, so I'm sure this will be the first of many questions! I didn't receive siding for the house, but it does say in the directions that siding can be put on it. So I purchased 3/4" wood veneer in a roll at the hardware store for this purpose. This siding is made so that it could be ironed on flat. I know I don't need to apply it like that -- wood glue, right? Now...do I put it on first, then the window and door trim, or vice-versa? Do I paint it first and then put it on, or vice-versa? I'm clueless, and want to do it the best way to save myself aggrevation later. I've looked over the directions and they don't seem to provide any guidance in this area, I guess because the siding material wasn't included in the first place. Thanks so much for any help you can give me! Heather
  2. I've begun my first dollhouse ever, the Arthur, which I receive as a Christmas present, so I'm sure this will be the first of many questions! I didn't receive siding for the house, but it does say in the directions that siding can be put on it. So I purchased 3/4" wood veneer in a roll at the hardware store for this purpose. This siding is made so that it could be ironed on flat. I know I don't need to apply it like that -- wood glue, right? Now...do I put it on first, then the window and door trim, or vice-versa? Do I paint it first and then put it on, or vice-versa? I'm clueless, and want to do it the best way to save myself aggrevation later. I've looked over the directions and they don't seem to provide any guidance in this area, I guess because the siding material wasn't included in the first place. Thanks so much for any help you can give me! Heather
  3. Susanne, I found the photo - she is a cutie! :-) Heather
  4. Susanne, Which album is Matilda Mouse in? I couldn't find her! I just bought a collection of little stuffed mice on clearance in the toy dept. of K-Mart a couple of days ago, but I can't remember what they are called! (My MIL has them -- they're part of my Christmas present!) I'm curious to see if they're the same as your mouse. Thanks! Heather
  5. LisaN, Thanks for replying -- no, I haven't even heard of the Fitz & Floyd Charming Tails, but I did look on the site, and the figurines are simply adorable! Luckily, the site said that my local Hallmark store carries them, so I may just have to go and check them out! Thanks for letting me know about them! I've decided to just go with an Arthur and do a regular-looking house, only have mice as the residents! I'm keeping your other ideas in mind, though -- they sound really sweet and cute as well! Heather
  6. Well, we finally took the plunge and went with... (drum roll, please...) THE ARTHUR! I ordered it this morning and it should arrive in time for Christmas. It is my Christmas gift from my MIL. Of course, my DD wants to start it as soon as it arrives, not after Christmas! :-) Should be a good thing to work on when its cold and wintry out in January and February, and sometimes March...Hmmm, which leads me to ask, just how much time should this take? In the meantime 'til we can actually get started, I'm going to be checking in frequently with this board and trying to learn whatever I can. It's good to know you guys are here to ask questions if we get stuck with something! Needless to say, we're really excited and I can't believe that I, a grown adult, am getting a dollhouse for Christmas!
  7. I have another question -- the thought of making a mouse house really appeals to me because years and years ago, my grandmother made a really cute one that hung on the wall, no deeper than a shadow box. My mother had it, but no one is sure if it is still around, packed up or whatever, because no one's seen it in years...Is there anything like that still out there that we could make ourselves? Thanks so much! Heather
  8. Linda, Thanks for including the photos of the Buttercup...decisions, decisions! I may indeed need to have my DD help me choose -- maybe between the two of us, we can slowly narrow them down! :-) I have another question -- the thought of making a mouse house really appeals to me because years and years ago, my grandmother made a really cute one that hung on the wall, no deeper than a shadow box. My mother had it, but no one is sure if it is still around, packed up or whatever, because no one's seen it in years...Is there anything like that still out there that we could make ourselves? Yes, I'm still in NC - Mayberry girl! How about you?
  9. Thanks to all for your quick replies! I checked out the Arthur blog and...WOW! I'm so amazed and impressed! It's really cool to see how one house can be customized so many different, creative ways! Linda, I really loved your version...it's so cute!! BTW, I'm from NC too! I'm leaning toward the Arthur for the time being, but would love to see some finished photos of the Buttercup as well! Where is the best place (online, store, etc...) to buy all the "stuff" you need to tackle a project like this? (Remember, I'm a baby, hold my hand, treat me gently!) :-)
  10. I have just joined and am still looking at ALL the options there are out there in the world of dollhouses! WOW! It's all new to me, so all the houses are starting to run together! I am interested in buying a dollhouse for my 9-year-old DD for us to work on together. I read an earlier similar post, and the Sugarplum was suggested. Who sells this, and where can I see it? I have already considered the Arthur and the Buttercup. They are both so adorable! These are pictured with smooth outside walls -- can they be done to look like siding as well? If so, does that have to be ordered in addition to the basic kit? Once again, I'm a newborn in the dollhouse/miniature world, so I would greatly appreciate any guidance anyone would be so kind as to offer! Heather