Made by Barbara

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Made by Barbara

1. Thanks for letting me know Sherry! It is hard to find nice patterns in dollhouse scale for just about any kind of needlework. I have been looking for quilt patterns too, alot of those so called miniature quilts are huge!
  2. I just found this dollhouse knitting and crocheting pattern book, lots of projects! http://product.half.ebay.com/Miniature-Cro...infoQQprZ227154
  3. Yes Bre I'd say he LOVES you!!! That was sooooo nice of him!!! You might want to consider giving him a promotion to Husband!!! He sounds like he would be worth keeping for the long haul!!! Can't wait to see what you do with your new house, it looks like another huge one!!!
  4. I think nail polish remover could damage the hair, especially the color. If you have a small piece you might try it. A blow dryer will usually remove hot glue but it can damage some hair, the nylon type will melt. I don't think heat would hurt mohair or the viscose type but again I would try it on a scrap piece first. Forgot to mention that if it isn't fired on paint, nail polish remover may damage the paint too.
  5. She is looking very nice!!! You have done a good job on her!!! I have had success with fingernail polish remover for some glues, don't know if it works with all. I use the quick dry tacky on my dolls, it can be soaked off with water or sometimes just peeled off. The general reason for not covering the entire head with hair is it would end up really thick and out of proportion for the doll. There are some very nice tutorials for doing miniature hair styles online. I don't think any of them cover removing the hair though.
  6. Looks great Deb!!! I thought they were actual carved wood! You might try waxed paper or brown paper bad for polishing, sometimes they work really well! In the photos they look fantastic as is!
  7. Don't feel bad Sherry, that quilt I've started is for a cottage that is still in the box! LOL I have even bought a few pieces of furniture for it. At least you have a very nice start on your house! Sometimes I think knowing what is going inside helps to know how the house needs to look, at least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!!
  8. I just put a scan of the article featuring the picture of Deb's Glencroft in my gallery for those of you who didn't get to see it! Congrats Deb!!!
  9. Thank you everyone!!! I have scanned it and put it in my gallery for those of you who wanted to see the article! It's a little crooked but I think you can possibly still read it! Thanks again!!!!
  10. Made by Barbara

Miniature Collector March 2010

Article about our miniature club showing pictures of Deb G's Glencroft and my dolls.
  11. Congratulations Tracy!!! Tell Sarah and Rachel congratulations too!!! I haven't seen the magazine yet but ordered it after seeing this! I have been admiring your work since joining this forum!!!
  12. Okay Sherry, didn't know it is going to be masculine, in that case I would say the dark wine or dark green. Maybe look at tie color combinations, they are masculine!!!
  13. Thank you!!! It is actually our club that is being featured, my dolls that I had displayed at the show just happened to be one of the photos chosen! It does feel pretty special though seeing them in print!!! Kathie and Tracy they are in my gallery so you can see them there. Thank you Bre for all your encouragement!!! There will be more dolls!
  14. I know exactly what you mean Tracy although I hadn't figured it out till now!!! Even before miniatures I made porcelain dolls and did the shows. My favorites were always the first to sell!!! I would go home feeling bad about it but at the same time it kept a roof over our heads and food in our bellies!!! Since starting miniatures I have had people say with all I make I must have quite a collection. Not true, I have two roomboxes and a very few other pieces that are actually done. Now I am finally making a few more things for me. My mother and baby are the first dolls I made just for me and only ones I kept other than a little doll's doll that I didn't finish dressing(same reason, I didn't want to let her go)! And yes, I have many other unfinished projects possibly for that same reason! One is a bear that I really love and haven't finished dressing and I am sure it is because in the back of my mind I knew as soon as she was she would be gone! Mary is right about repeating something too, the thrill is gone!!! There were a lot of dolls, bears, and miniature accessories that I don't have pictures of that I really loved and miss! My advice Tracy is go ahead and finish them but make sure you are working on a project to sell at the same time so you don't feel like you have to sell the one you want to keep!!! That is kind of what I am doing right now, I am working on dolls for a show and the quilt for me! Thanks for helping me figure out why I wasn't finishing some of my favorite things, now I will have to follow my own advice and finish them while I still make things to sell! The bear is staying!!! LOL Someday when you feel it is safe, I would LOVE to see what projects you have fell in LOVE with!!!
  15. Sherry, do you have anything the color you are thinking of to hold by it and see if you like it? My other suggestion would be a medium rose with a light cream rather than a white white. I think it would be very pretty!
  16. That saw looks like it would be a great deal!!! It says it can cut wood up to 3/4" where mine can only do up to 1/4". Depending on what you are wanting to make you may want to make some sort of table extender for it. You can clamp a piece of wood to it for a fence if needed too. The only other consideration I can think of is the space around the blade(can't see it because of the guard), if it is close enough to not let tiny pieces fall through, and the number of teeth on the blade for smooth cuts. I have this one, http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-MINIATUR...E-SAW,6936.html I love it but there are times when I would like to be able to do thicker wood. I can't use the hand saw without major physical problems which is why I bought mine. Kathie, get that baby out of the box and let us know how well it works!!! I just might need to add another power tool to my stash!!! LOL edited: Thanks Ann!!! I took so long that you squeezed in there!! Which blade are you using? Does the size of the tabletop work well for you?
  17. I'm glad you are safe at home, I hope you can find something to work on!!! Shame to waste a snow day. We have some snow but nothing serious here.
  18. Bre, I should join to but not quite ready yet! LOL My most recent purchases have been for my cottage that is still in the box and some fabric that the local quilt shop didn't have yardage of. So happy I got it, some of it is being used for my flower garden quilt, some will be furniture, curtains, etc. I will be waiting to seeing pictures of your new dollhouse when you get her home!!!
  19. Brae, I Love your powder room and all your realistic accessories! I think the silver really added to the right feel! Great job as always!!!
  20. Unfortunately that is true Sherry! I like your reason for buying cookies, lol, here I had just been buying them just to eat! Today I painted some doll parts and I got 35 more hexagons ready for the quilt and 24 of them are sewn on! :lol: Roxxie, have you tried anymore with your stove?
  21. Thanks Roxxie! Do you think a piece of that really thin cellophane like is in a macaroni box over your black paper would make it look like glass? If it is raised too much, you might try painting the edge of it silver or another color to look like trim. Sherry, I remember the knit fabric quilts, my grandma made lots of those that were used at her house. She also made beautiful traditional quilts that were special, they got much better treatment. Hopefully those quilts you are seeing being dragged around are the mass produced ones from Walmart, etc. and not precious heirlooms! I would think if they were heirlooms their parents would have intervened.
  22. Oh Sherry I couldn't imagine doing one let alone Two life size ones!!! I prefer little piddly work, I am glad I chose a twin bed though, there are already 32 hexagons in this one!
  23. Yes Kathie it's stitched. I cut the hexagons out of freezer paper, ironed the shiny side to the back of the fabric. Then I cut out the fabric leaving a small seam allowance around the paper, I went around the edges with fabric glue so they don't fray. Then I finger pressed the fabric over the paper edges and basted it. Then I finally sewed them together. I have to cut more hexagons now before I can do more. LOL Like I said it is going to take me a while!!!