dickpatt

Gold Member
  • Last visited

1 Neutral

About dickpatt

Profile Information

• Interests
    Previously woodworking and now dollhouse construction. I have enjoyed building several furniture kits in the past

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Please Select
  • Real Name
    Richard
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

651 profile views
  1. Actually the left out wall is two short walls made of two pieces about three inches wide. They make an "L" shape to separate the bedroom from the stairway and make the "hallway". You can see the two slots in the bathroom wall where they attach. They punch out from sheets 10 and 6. Still have bathroom privacy but not too much in the bedroom.
  2. dickpatt

Pierce House

Pictures of my first dollhouse build from the ground (building board) up. The Pierce by Greenleaf, November 2009.
  3. That's what I decided too. Since this is my first one, I wonder if their quality standard is any better on the more expensive (not laser cut) kits? Can someone who has built other Greenleafs expound on this?
  4. I have been working on my Pierce for about two months now and is my first dollhouse kit. It was drop shipped direct from the factory to me in October of this year. I would not say that in this kit the wood is perfect and would have to agree that the die-crunching leads to quite a few less than perfect parts. Fortunately, I guess, most of the problem parts that I have encountered are restricted to smaller parts and things like window and door pieces. Mostly, all the walls, floors and roof sections are of good enough quality wood. The die cutting accuracy is not perfect, but with some good tools for measuring and squaring things up and a little patience, you can build a relatively true model house with this kit. I did get impatient with the door and window trim die-crunching and threw it all out and now I am scratch-building door and window trim from some nice, solid aircraft plywood, pine and basswood strips. See the photo for my new look in window trim. The strip above the windows will be fish-scale shingles with dental molding separating the shingles from the wide window header board. Don't get me wrong! I will probably build another Pierce i(f I ever get done with this one) .
  5. Well, I had not thought about bashing the bed. I put a lot of work into building it so I would rather see it in a new home than bashed I have a kit for a regular double bed to replace it as soon as I finish the house.
  6. Hi Sherry, Yep, I thought about making my own. In fact I bought some strip wood at HL, but the nearest size they had was some that was a tiny bit too big. I bought it anyway and did make one interior door casing with it, but it looks a bit clunky. The other windows and doors have curved tops and the plywood is too thin to match up with my strip wood. ALL of the nineteen windows with arched tops, six oval windows, and six bay and tower archways would need to have the top arches cut from some hobby wood or aircraft plywood and make that times two for interior and exterior casings and then..... THAT'S A LOT OF WOOD AND A LOT OF CUTTING!!!! I also tried moistening the die cut crushed edges and steam ironing and all that did was separate the ply layers and warp the wood a little. The edges were still pretty much crunch/curled as before. I hope someone here may have come upon a fix for this. I may also try to talk with someone at Greenleaf for ideas. Wish me luck and thanks for the reply,
  7. dickpatt

Bashing my Pierce

Modifications and upgrades I have incorporated in the basic Greenleaf Pierce design.
  8. This is my first dollhouse, so there are very few of the building tips and tricks that I have learned by now. Actually, I have had moderate success thusfar with the basic shell assembly, wiring, floors and wallpaper and I am not displeased. Now it comes time to do the door and window trimwork and I am not at all pleased with my success at sanding, assembling and painting the gazillion little pieces of die-crunched thin plywood. The edges are all smashed and mangled from the die-cuting and punching-out and try as I will, I am having a very difficult time of making anything presentable from this. I have tried filling the edges with wood filler, gesso, primer and/or glue to make something solid enough to sand into a reasonable looking part without success. Can some of you please help me find the magic or methodology to get on the right path with this trimwork? I would really hate to see all of my hard work (albeit fun) go to waste and end in an ugly disaster. I understand that at one time there was a set of preassembled windows, but not doors, available for this kit from another supplier, but the maker is no longer in business. HELP!! And Thanks,
  9. Here's the latest thing I've added. It's a railing above the stairway opening on the second floor. It will be used to eliminate the two walls that separated the bdroom from the stairs and hallway. I think it makes the space look more useable even though it does sacrifice some of the bedroom's privacy. It's not glued in yet, so let me know what you think. Also painted the tower roof with copper paint. I'm not so sure I like that too much. I will need to see the rest of the decor first. What do you think?
  10. Well even if you didn't win the Pierce auction it sounds like you will still be a winner in the end. I was watching one of the auctions for one that went for $71. That's the same as mine cost and I was very tempted to bid on it, but I have a good ways to go on finishing mine before I will be buying another one. I'm amazed at how much this going to cost before it is finished. One of my neighbors is coming to look at tomorrow and she may want to buy it. This is my first build and I hope it will attract a buyer soon so I can build another one. I know about how much I have spent, but how does one go about setting a price on a dollhouse?
  11. Well.................. Did you get it?
  12. I am making a modification to the Pierce's tower, adding another eight or so inches in the form of a pointed roof and brass finial. I wish I could add a better picture of it here, but the brass does not show well in the picture. Maybe I can get a better picture and you can see it in my Albums when i post it there. I would appreciate your opinions and comments (good and bad). I made the addition from kit scraps and a wood dowel for the brass finial, a part from an old clock case, to attach to. Let me know of modifications you have done with your Pierce and others you may do in the future. Or, just tell me ideas you have about other Pierce bashes. Thanks,
  13. Thanks very much for all the great suggestions and replies from all of you. I will do my best to take heed of them all, hopefully for improved future building projects. And to Kathie for opening my eyes about the baseboard vs wiring conflict. I have ordered more tape wire and will make another run spaced one inch above the floor for those future outlets before the wallpaper goes in on the second floor. Unfortunately, it's too late for the first floor to be rewired as the wallpaper went in last night and it stays :idea: . I'm putting the last coat of poly on the first floor flooring today and will hopefully get it installed tonight. Thanks,
  14. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! I started getting some of the flooring fited and ready to install. Wow!!! That is about the hardest, most dense wood I ever tried to cut with an X-acto blade. I finally had to resort to cutting it with a saw and mini wood chisel and hammer and that works fairly well. The jigsaw puzzeling of end to end joints is not much fun either. I am adding a picture in my album of this milestone :idea: