• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Four
  • Real Name
    Molly
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

4,242 profile views
  1. The first one if you are making an old house but the second for a newer house. They both look very cool!
  2. I love my closet doors. Keep those coming!!! Also, pocket doors!!!!!!!!!!! The folding stairs are really neat. I have no idea what else was in the Timberbrook line, so I can't say what else I would love to have. Oh, and if you have a website you can put a link in your signature. I am so happy you checked out the forum and joined us, please have a look around and post in the gallery when you can!
  3. Good Job!!!!! I think you will soon find that it's hard to only build one. It can be such a learning experience that you'll want to apply what you learned to another then you'll learn something else that should justify making a third because, ya know, it just keeps going from there.......... there's a million things to do and try and it's a great adventure to find what works for you. You may even discover some great tip to share with the rest of us! I love progress photos, so keep them coming! It looks great and I would never have thought this was your first, congrats!!!
  4. mollymmoore

DSCN5488

Good job! Everytime I see another Orchid, it makes me want another kit. I love seeing progress photos. This so reminds me of how much joy I had building that very first one. Thank you for sharing your photos!
  5. Yes, I couldn't help myself and added the folding attic stairs to my purchase. I asked the seller, minirabbit, about it just in time! She was preparing to package my closet doors so I'll have everything shipped in one package! Now, I only need to snoop around and find out about the height of the room below the tower in the San Franciscan. I'll probably go to that section of the forum to ask.
  6. Beautiful! I especially love the floor of the main level. It looks like a really fun build. Great job!!!!
  7. Thanks for the photos fov and rodentraiser! Yeah, the placement of your closet in the Westville is very clever! I have one in a box, it's one I want to keep for myself, so I don't know when I'll get around to working on it. I may take your lead and put a closet there, that would be fun! I haven't made any definate plans for that build other than it will be inspired by many of the homes I remember seeing in rural Ohio as a child. There were many, many carpenter gothic country homes in that area as I can remember. So it will have some inspiration of mid century (1940ish) that's aged but not beyond say, 1990. I remember similar doors for my early childhood home being on the laundry room and the cleaning closet. My dad installed them, I am sure, when he renovated that tiny house. They were stained with a golden hued stain. Sorry, there's something about the Westville that gets me all sentimental for childhood memories and my late family. I've built 3 Orchids and never even thought to put a closet in one. Good job with the addition! I sometimes feel and itch to get another kit and do a 4th Orchid but I have no idea who would want to keep it once I was done.
  8. Is there a sticky list somewhere with a list of all the B&M mini shops???? The summer before last, Mom and I took a trip from KY to NC. I did research online and found a mini shop that was kinda on the way. I had to go out of the way a little bit. I found the address but no mini shop...... turns out it had gone out of business the year before. I learned my lesson to always call ahead and see if the place still exists. Oh, and Green Gables Dollhouse shop used to be in the next town over. I went out there one day, with saved money in hand, and it was gone........ There was/is a Unicorn Miniatures in the suburbs of Cincinnati, OH I visited once. The shop keeper was very grumpy though. I don't know if it's still there or not. I wanted to visit that shop so much I delayed having my fractured foot attended until after we visited. Man, I was in pain, but it was fun to visit an actual store.
  9. I am getting the louvered doors. Two sets of the smaller ones and one of the big. I almost could cry when I saw all the stuff listed! I think otterine had a closet kit that she used on her blog, but that's the only closet kit I've seen to date. I hope to make a nice bedroom closet and maybe bathroom towel closet when I build my San Franciscan. I'm making my own kitchen cabinet set for my current build. I am confident in making a closet when I am ready. I only wish I knew more about power tools (other than dremel rotary) so I could have a scroll saw and some kind of table saw suitable for mini projects. I've been using basswood but would like to try other woods and 1/8" plywood. I have no idea what would be good so I could start saving for them. I'm cutting everything with a japanese flush cut saw. I would love to see what you have done with your closet kit and closet doors. Where can I find photos?
  10. Are you saying just to use paint and avoid any sort of sealant?
  11. When my closet doors come in, I will share some photos. The doors are for a house I have not started yet, but I'm really glad to be gathering some of the additional supplies for it.
  12. Yay! Looking good! The Orchid will always have a special place in my heart, it made me fall in love with dollhouses. Great idea with a primrose addition, I look forward to that.
  13. Yeah, acrylic sealer is great on pastels. It keeps the pastels from dusting away. Do you put anything on the egg cartons to seal them for moisture? This is what I'm curious to know. I've done some egg carton brick test strips on brown craft paper. I just glued them on, let the glue dry and painted them. Boy, oh! Those little egg carton bricks wicked up the moisture of the paint (Gouache). It made me concerned that if it will do that, maybe it would be good to seal the eggcarton material with something, then paint them. Then just seal again for the sake of the paint. I just don't know which product since I'm sealing to prevent moisture absorbsion. These poor old egg cartons are meant to last just a month or two and then become trash or recycled. I would want to do whatever I can to keep them nice if I stuck them on a dollhouse I worked months or years to complete. Not to mention the monetary investment that ultimately goes into a complete build. Oh, and I don't plan to use gouache for my project, but I was willing to waste it for the experiment. I'm probably going to use some liquitex soft body acrylic. I've almost quit using craft acrylics except for Folk Art for certain things. That's a whole other story! I've learned so much about paint since I started doing faceups on dolls.
  14. I'll be the odd ball here. I would have never started buying Greenleaf kits if the Orchid didn't come with shingles. Why? It's pictured on the box, and I wanted to be able to make one like on the box. This was my first, second and third build. I've bought 2 more Greenleaf kits and multiple furniture kits after the Orchids. I'll probably buy more kits. I bought a house with an extra room just for dollhouses. I didn't have to buy loads of tools or shop online just to make those first few builds, that was a huge plus. Then I was hooked! Now, if you are looking to continue to sell to existing hobbiest, by all means, eliminate the 'extras'. You might be discouraging new customers, younger customers from even looking at your kits. Once you get them hooked, and they like the build, the customers will buy more kits, customize them and learn to purchase the 'extras'. I wouldn't advise you to eliminate the shingles and siding from all the kits. I'm most familiar with the Orchid since it's sold at Hobby Lobby. The ones that are sold as 'first time' kits should include all the kit stuff pictured on the box so the customers will get satisfaction from that first build. Even with the shingles and siding, the tab and slot construction of 1/8" plywood is still more economical to manufacture and ship than what your competators offer. How much would the difference be? $10, $20? I'm pretty sure Greenleaf will still be more econimically attractive than some other companies' products on price point alone.
  15. I don't understand your questions. I know how to seal polyurethane resins. I don't work in paper except when I'm papering a dollhouse wall. Usually when making a piece that's intented to last long term, a sealant is placed beneath and on top pastels, watercolors or acrylics. Sometimes this is done to enhance color saturations or to keep the mediums from mixing. Othertimes it's to prevent smudging (charcoal and pastels).The sealants I'm used to using are imported from Japan, and not intended for paper. I use the scrapbook paper that's manufacured with the purpose of archiving or minigraphics wallpaper for dollhouses. My concern is sealing the paper eggcartons for the purpose of preserving it too. Humidity is a concern for me here in good old Kentucky. Eggcartons are so wonderful, perfect texture! They're just not made to last long term. Some sealants will yellow over time, some sealants aren't meant for some mediums. I'm just curious about what everyone is using, or if they're using anything. It takes forever for me to cut those little bricks, I'd hate for them to crumble off a build even if it's 20+ years in the future.