biomom

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Posts posted by biomom

1. After several big projects, I took a break from minis around 2018. Then the virus hit and work became super challenging (I'm a college biology professor)...and life became super challenging. Anyway, I am looking for advice from you wonderful people on 1:24 kits that I can assemble to enhance my 1:24 Laser Dollhouse Designs Painted Lady Lisa with. She has mostly Victorian style inspiration. I don't mind having crowded rooms...there are a few creators here that have done really lovely amazing houses with tons of goodies inside and I love them. I may do a couple of small cross stitch rugs, although I don't want to cover up too much my very painstakingly installed real wood parquet flooring.

If anyone has time to look through my 1:24 Victorian Townhouse and suggest kit ideas, I would really appreciate it!

https://forum.greenleafdollhouses.com/gallery/album/7309-124-victorian-townhouse/

2. Those would make beautiful lamps...as long as they aren't too expensive, see if you can drill a small hole for wires in the bottom (assuming you want them to light up). Not sure what type of drill would work for ceramics. I'd be worried that a Dremel would break it. You might also be able to just glue/hide the wire against the back of the vases instead of drilling holes. If you want to paint/decorate, I would use enamel paints for longevity. Very fine colored lace glued on or sticker/decals can also be a pretty look. True2Scale has some pretty decals that might work well: https://www.true2scale.com/decals/

3. I did this but used kits from MiniEtchers. A half-scale example is below (more in my Gallery). Depending on what your mini vases are made of, you could make a hole in the bottom to thread through LED lights like mine. Mine are then plugged into a coin battery (hidden) with a little switch. The LED lights/switches/battery all come from Evan Designs.

dining light.jpg

• Like 1
    • For the office, it is attached under the desk (the desk itself was sealed up long ago).
    • For the dining room, there is a small rectangle of wood glued behind the little Eastlake side table...that is where the battery is.
    • For the spare room (in my gallery), it is in the hutch.
    • For the small bedroom (in my gallery), it is behind the vanity.

I needed to make the tiny switch and battery holder accessible but hidden. I have the rest of the house wired with ambient LED lighting that is hardwired through the house as I built it. But these lights were a later addition after the house was complete.

• Like 1
  4. Handmade lights installed! 1:24 lights are hard to come by and with limited selection so I highly recommend trying this out. It was also super economical to use 3D printed lamp bases and LED lights. There are also now super small batteries so you can hide them easier (I challenge you to find where I hid mine!). Here are a couple of installations - see my 1:24 Victorian Townhouse gallery for more.

dining light close.jpg

study light.jpg

• Like 3
  5. I bought this Northeastern Scale Models 1:144 Beacon Hill kit when they were closing shop a few years ago. I didn't realize what a deal I got. I always wanted to build my very own Beacon Hill and knew this was probably as close as I would get! If I had known that these kits were so good (everything was made of wood - all different thicknesses and types - such good quality), I would have bought more.

IMG_8509.jpg

IMG_8511.jpg

• Like 1
  6. Yes - Shellie from MiniEtchers. I think if you email her she can put 1:24 together. If I remember correctly, I got them in an online mini show that she was doing. It is also possible to order just the 3D printed lamp and shade if you have LED lights. I have a bunch of LED supplies from Evan Designs that I forgot I had already. I used them for ambient lighting on the Lisa since is gets pretty dark inside.

Anyone else have any cool half scale projects going on?

7. I've been working on some functional Victorian lamps for my 1:24 LDD Lisa. The kits were 3D printed from Shellie N., using LED lighting. I used a combination of fabric, lace, and paint to make them frilly like my Google Images Victorian inspirations. Now I have to build some furniture/trunks to hide the battery and wiring for each one....

They look a bit better in person than the photos!

lamps off.jpg

8. I use wood glue (I think it is low in moisture) and only use a little bit on the bottom. I don't really need to use any weights that way. The more moisture on the sticks, the higher the warp risk. I don't usually have to but sanding is an option. The pre-staining of sticks (as someone mentioned) also works pretty well. A couple of coats of varnish and I'm usually good to go. My new Craftsman roombox floor was done with coffee stirrers (1:24 scale) in this way.

empty craftsman.jpg

• Like 1
  9. I just posted pictures of some lovely 1:24 toy and plant additions to my Victorian Townhouse. I also posted a new album with a 1:24 Craftsman roombox that I have been working on like FOREVER. Most of the toy and plant additions are from this year's half scale swap. Such talented people!

Here are some teasers (first is from the Craftsman roombox, second is from the Victorian Townhouse):

Anyone else got any new 1:24 projects to share?

craftsman hearth.jpg

toy bedroom 2019.jpg

• Like 1