• Real Name
    Jessie
  • Country
    Australia

Recent Profile Visitors

1,961 profile views
  1. Jitchiwah

Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

In my early teens I LOVED minis. I had a shop that my mum had found at an auction for me. It had a dark green double front, with bay windows that were amazing for setting up little displays. I eventually set it up as a Haberdashery & clothing store & spent hours making little items for it. It was eventually sold & many of those miniatures sold with it or lost. In my early twenties I started to make a new one using plans that came from a Magazine (Dolls House and Miniature Scene, i think). I had the shell built, components for the front, and had wallpapered the inside with Brodnax Prints, but never finished the facade, nor did I ever get any interior fittings made. I don’t even know what happened to it I’ve always wanted to re-make it, so during the COVID lockdown I decided to have a go. I started with the Dollhouse Shopkeeper book as a starting point for sizing & construction techniques (and realised that original shop was made from one of those plans!). The front was inspired by False Front Architecture sHops that were typical of gold rush towns. I just liked the style. And well, I just kind of made it up from there!
  2. Very clever! I was planning on trying vinyl for my own shop sign but I might give this some consideration! Thank you for sharing
  3. Lovely effect! I think I’d be too scared to start aging anything in case i totally messed it up!
  4. Jitchiwah

Green Cottage

I chose this little Greenleaf Haunted House kit with the sole intention of turning it into a Witch's house. However it didn't want to co-operate - it kept protesting that it wanted to be a sweet, feminine cottage. The house won. I started her back in 2015, had a long hiatus from minis, then came back to work on her in 2020
  5. Hi all. I have sone Architect’s Choice plans that I’m considering building but I’ve never scratch built before. We own a table saw, which I’m hoping will be sufficient for cutting the main pieces. Can anyone share any advice or tips for Cutting the pieces, building from scratch, etc. I have to admit I’m a bit intimidated but it’s the only way I would get the style of house I like over here in Australia.
  6. Although we don’t have a full blown lock down where I live, I was stood down from work and suddenly have a LOT more time on my hands. It’s at least a couple more weeks till we’ll be back. I hadn’t touched any mini projects in about 5 years! And suddenly I’m hooked again. Finishing off a small Greenleaf kit I bought years ago, have a shop idea in progress and am looking at building something bigger
  7. Yay! I am so excited that there's another Otterine build to follow can't wait to see your thought process on this one
  8. Hello from Adelaide! Great to see another Aussie on here postage kills me too - both time and price, but better slow than never hey!
  9. just a couple things off the top of my head... A good quality steel ruler for measuring and using as a straight edge for cutting. Small saw and mitre box. I got a junior hacksaw and mitre box in a set from the hardware store, but you can get finer hobby specific ones too. Duskmasks and safety specs! Specially if you do get a dremel but even hand sanding throws up a lot of dust. a collection of good paintbrushes with soft/fine bristles in various shapes and sizes. I have a few now ranging from tiny pointed end up to about an inch wide flat head. Makes life easier if you have the right brush for the job. Clamps!!!! Good to have a variety of sizes and types. Also some type of weighs to weigh down flat pieces to ensure they STAY flat when drying.
  10. SNIFF it?! Lol. Maybe that's why we all hear houses talking to us.. Too much time spent sniffing wood and glues! As to the house... a wise old teacher of mine once used this little analogy - "how do you eat an elephant?!". The answer being a little bit at a time. You won't manage it in one sitting so you just start with one little manageable chunk, and work your way through it.
  11. Love the base colour! Can't wait to see what you do with the trims. She's already starting to sing!
  12. My sister gave me a cupboard she had painted up and worn, sorta shabby chic style. and I got vouchers for Bunnings (hardware) and Spotlight (fabrics/crafts.. A bit like JoAnn's) which will be put towards building materials and such.. Already hit Bunnings yesterday to get paint, wood & paintbrushes :)
  13. Merry Christmas from a very hot Australia! Hope you all have a safe and happy holiday season.
  14. Thankyou! Do do you typically apply all sheets for one wall at once, or apply one at a time, clamping and allowing to dry before proceeding to the next sheet?
  15. I'm going to be applying the siding to my little cottage over Christmas, but have never done this before... So before I jump right in head first, does anyone have any tips or tricks to share on best type of glue, how to apply, etc. I want to avoid buckling and warping. im using milled siding sheets.