~morningstar~

Gold Member
  • Last visited

150 Excellent

About ~morningstar~

Profile Information

• Interests
    writing, reading, poetry, music, family, painting, drawing, sculpting, anything I can do with my hands.

Contact Methods

Retained

• Member Title
    Mistress of my own destiny... what about you?

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    One
  • Real Name
    MorningStar
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

6,996 profile views
  1. I think I saw a couple of her books on Amazon. I may still go back and look some more. Right now, I have a whole box full of books, so I am going to keep working with the ones I have, and see how we work. It almost feels like she doesn't want to be dressed in Victorian era dressing. I keep seeing more modern looks to her. I don't know yet. We shall see. ~morningstar~
  2. Since I have little chance of getting to the library, I went to Amazon and got a copy of "The Tasteful Interlude" and it will arrive by the end of the month. I also purchased "Making Victorian Dollshouse Furniture" that will arrive next week. As I work on this house, my book collection grows. :)I have two copies of "The Big Book of a Miniature House" by Christine-Lea Frisoni. If I ever find the other books, I will likely have duplicate copies of other books too. If I find that I do, I will offer them here first. If there are no takers, I'll list them on eBay. ~morningstar~
  3. Thank you, holly. I am taking my time and going very slow. I am also listening to what she wants. I haven't begun working on the interior, because everything I have offered, she has turned down. We will see what happens when the next batch of floors and wall coverings come in. At this rate, she might end up covered in paint and contact paper, LOL. I will keep trying. There are some windows that still need repairs. Framing, and "glass" put in. The foundation will be the very last thing I will work on, before I begin working on the garden. ~morningstar~
  4. I loved the bench until it arrived in pieces. I almost tossed it, then I decided to try to put it back together, with some success. It isn't perfect but it's workable. The frog pond is an afterthought. I was on the phone with Mom and she just loves frogs. I was describing to her all the little ideas I had for the garden. I found this online while I was talking to her, and decided it was definitely a worthwhile addition to the garden behind the Big ol' House.
  5. It is much the same with just about any creation, no? My copy of Beryl's book came in, recently, I will begin working on the foundation (brickwork) of the dollhouse, probably tomorrow. It depends on how I am feeling, physically. I went to collect my packages the other day and my neighbor said I look like a ghost. (I have been having difficulty sleeping and my oxygen saturation level is a bit low. I am attaching pictures of what I have accomplished and some things I thought would be cute for the garden of the house. I am learning that even though I want to make her totally Victorian, that may not be what she wants......The stairway is a repair job. The bench is a wreck, I had to reassemble because the shipping method was inadequate for the safety of the bench. The sign was my own design. I am going to make a new one, as I'm not thrilled with how that one came out. The frog pond is something that I will likely put in the garden.
  6. Goodness holly! That looks like a lot of work. I saw where you said you used 240 grit sand paper? Is the grit of the paper important? Also, I found some that is *almost* the right size and self adhesive. I hope that will work. I am looking forward to working on mine soon. I will post pics soon. ~morningstar~
  7. holly, I checked out the pics in your gallery. Wow! That is some serious work there. I started putting together a doll house, a long time ago, it was a.... Garfield. Then about 1/4 the way into the project, we moved into a smaller place. Half of the pieces are missing. I suspect they are packed in a box that hasn't been unpacked yet. We only intended to stay in this apartment long enough to find a house we could afford, and then we were going to move out. Needless to say, we are still here, and the Garfield, sadly is abandoned.. (for now). Anyway, I really like what you did with the doll house. Very fancy. I decided to look on line for the craft sticks. I don't feel like going anywhere. I have to meet a friend for tea in a few hours. I'm so tired. But I said I would go, so... you know how that goes. Once I'm done with that, I'll come back home and wait for my DCC to call.. (Diabetes Care Coordinator)... Doing a phone check in... Do you remember what colors of chalk you used to create the brick look for your pub? I really like how realistic that looks. ~morningstar~
  8. Is there anything you can't do with miniatures? LOL wow. I love the way you did the shelves near the front doors. That is awesome. I'm guessing this is a shop? It kinda looks like one. I like the store room off to the side too. Very nice. I might just borrow your idea for the shelves. Yay trip to the Hobby Lobby or Joanns!!! Thank you again! ~morningstar~
  9. Wow, that must have taken some serious time. I've been thinking about the folding screens that I mentioned in an earlier post. If I use either bamboo skewers cut down to size, and glued together, in the shape of a rectangle, I could make an 8panel screen for each section that I want to divide off. Or, I could get some Foam core board and cut it down to size, throw some contact paper on it, and make shelves out of it, and use that as the dividers. I'm sure I have some lace around here some place that would be perfect for the edge of the shelves. If I have to make the shelves from wood, what do you recommend? Thanks again for your help! ~morningstar~
  10. Wow, Look at how beautiful that turned out. Did you make the bedding and matching curtains and chair fabric for the room with the brass bed? I thought about doing something like that for one of the bedrooms. How difficult is it to do? I have so many floor coverings to use, and many different other things I can use to cover the beds. The attic space is large enough to be divided up into rooms. One can be a nursery, one can be a kitchen/dining room, one can be a small bath, another can be a living room and there is still room for a small bed room. The attic goes the whole length and width of the house. One side of it opens for access, and I was thinking. I could add some sort of a permanent prop to keep it open while it's being set up, thereby using the extra space for room. I think what I will do, to mark off or section off the rooms in the attic is create some of those folding screens. This will give some privacy and I don't have to do a lot of structural change to the house. I could even use bookshelves, or similar. Thank you for sharing your work. You've given me a few ideas.
  11. holly, That pub is gorgeous! I love how authentic the brickwork looks. That is what I am looking for. *THAT* look. That must have taken some time to do. I purchased the book you mentioned, by Beryl Armstrong, so when it arrives, I will read and learn how to do this, I am very excited about making this work for my own dollhouse. OOOh, I just can't wait. In the mean time, I'll be watching for those freebie paper ad things you were talking about, so I can get started on the attic. I was thinking about the floor of the attic. Most houses don't finish them, do they? I can't even remember the last time I saw a finished one. I was thinking of converting the attic into the living quarters for the housing staff. (it has two maids so far, I want to add a butler, if I can find one I like). Anyway, That is where I am right now with things.
  12. holly, That is an awesome idea. I never thought of using that, but you are right. That would be perfect. The legal notices are just the right size and some of the classifieds, the type print is small enough that I can put them in and they will look like they belong. Oh wow! Sand paper for brickwork. Ok, so how do I make it the color of brick? Is there sandpaper that is red? It would be far easier for me to do it that way than to order a bunch of bricks and try to figure out how to put them under the house, LOL. I will look to see if I can find something that will make the sandpaper look like bricks. Another great idea. Thank you, holly!! I will update with pics when I've completed the brickwork around the base of the house! ~morningstar~
  13. Hi Keifer, I'll hold off on packing, LOL. No, as my Beloved says.."that's all her project" Though he will help me with repairing the wiring because we don't want the 30+yr old dollhouse to burn down once everything is restored. I mean, that would just be a tragedy. You are doing a fantastic job on the one you are building. I am happy to see how well it is coming along. Great work!
  14. Keifer, How soon will this house be ready and when can I move into it? All kidding aside, this is incredible. I was showing my husband the work you are doing on your project and he thinks you are doing an awesome job. Keep up the great work! ~morningstar~
  15. Thank you. All of you. I may ask for some input, if I get stuck. I want to replace the paper brick that is around the foundation of the house. I was considering using actual miniature brick. I know it's not going to be an easy task but it will look more authentic, yes? Something else I hope to do is add newspaper print to the attic. I've been having difficulty locating it. Any ideas? I don't own a printer, so I can't print it myself. I also want to try to keep it as much to the victorian style as possible. I have a few books about miniatures that I need to locate. Somewhere in this apartment, LOL. I think their father was doing just that. Building it to be victorian. So, I want to try to keep it that way. I'm going to look this week to see if I can find any of my books, and the furniture and other odds and ends I have stashed away. I'll see what I can find and I will keep you all posted.