• Last visited

Community Reputation

400 Excellent

1 Follower

About thriftymini

Profile Information

• Gender Female
  • Location West Sound
  • Interests Creating somewhat inexpensive miniatures often starting with thrift store finds. Prefer 1/2" = 1' scale. Starting to build 1/2"=1' scale Fairfield. First Greenleaf kit build was the Vintage Travel Trailer 1"=1' scale cut down about 2/3 in length. Have completed a few roomboxes, storefronts and houses since beginning to work with miniatures in 2011.

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience Three
  • Dollhouse Preference The Traditional Greenleaf
  • Online Community Building Projects No
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Christine
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

3643 profile views
  1. LaurelRehabLR001.jpg

Thank you for your comment.  I am struggling with not making this house too dark and gloomy looking, but that is definitely the direction it keeps taking me while working on it.  After taking time to cut the window opening and putting in a Houseworks window, I covered it with a heavy drape, which defeated the purpose of adding more light to the room with the window.  This house is overall on the dark side with my choice of coloring on floors, walls, and even the furniture.  I am determined to bring some life into that living room as it looks too sterile, almost, like a waiting room.  Perhaps a collage of pictures or narrow shelves with small vases, etc  above the couch.  It is still a work in progress. 
  2. What are you up to today? This week?

Making progress on the rehab of the Laurel Dollhouse.  This house has decided it will be decorated for autumn (and Halloween).  I ran the electrical wiring, but husband did show our grandson how he does the connections.  I still cannot solder a connection. My son-in-law is still looking for civilian employment (having recently retired from the Air Force).  He is hoping to find employment in the local area to be close to family after so many years away.  Our two grandsons are attending local community college and our daughter works from home (as she has done for years).  It is working out well for them to be living with us for now. My daughter had fun decorating the McKinley Dollhouse for Christmas.  She enjoyed it so much, she plans to attend the Seattle Miniature Show with me this March. After seeing how much she enjoyed the McKinley, I did an all nighter and dry fitted the half scale Fairfield (that I had in my stash) into a 9 room wall hanging/shelf house -- by using the pieces to make a straight house with plain back and higher attic instead of the usual deeper house.  It will be easier to work on that house as I still have discomfort from the broken humerus.  But it feels better than when I started working on the rehab of the Laurel.  So for the past few days, I have been going back and forth working on both the Laurel and the start of the modified Fairfield.
  3. LaurelRehabSpiralStairs.jpg

From the album Laurel Rehab Bash

4. LaurelRehabLR001.jpg

5. LaurelRehabJan292020.jpg

6. LaurelRehabBRLighting.jpg

7. LaurelRehabBathroom.jpg

8. LaurelRehabAttic001.jpg

9. 5A07E774-4055-4022-AB24-39F3088D2E5C.jpeg

Do you have the directions and schematics that come with the kit?  The space below the first floor and above the base is where you put the three drawers.  I find the drawers perfect to store small seasonal items for the house.
  10. LaurelRehabLRKitc001.jpg

I like the idea of a window in the living room.  I just might add one.  I am still at the stage where I can make changes as not much is glued together.  I did bump out the space for the table and chairs out onto the porch and will be covered by the porch roof.  Ideally, I should have made it a little wider for the table I plan to use.  Thought about the Primrose addition, but didn't want to enlarge the footprint of this house.
  11. Laurel

I am currently working on the rehab of the Laurel.  The original builder used hot glue -- so it has been easy to take apart.  I love the footprint of the Laurel and that it is lightweight, but the rooms are quite small.  Some people remove the stairs to make more room in these smaller houses, but I do like stairs. I am moving the living room stairs to the corner and of course had to move the front door.  I also moved over the center wall to make a wider living room.  Will double up the center wall and sandwich electrical wiring inside the wall. To make more room in the kitchen, I bumped out the side wall and also bumped out a space on front wall for a table and chairs.  This does reduce the amount of that beautiful porch. Have fun with working on your Laurel. 
  12. Hello again

Welcome back, Claudia.  So sorry to hear about your husband injured in a car accident.  Eleven weeks is a long time to be in rehab, hopefully, his condition is improving.  You surely do have a lot to keep you busy and not an easy time for you.  Take care.
  13. LaurelRehabLRKitc001.jpg