Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    One
  • Real Name
    Linda
  • Country
    United States
  1. I am just beginning construction of the Rosedale. I completed the staircase sub assembly, but when I try to go on to the next step of attaching it to the first floor, the tabs don't line up. If I put the tab into the side wall the tabs in the floor don't line up. It seems like the staircase is too wide for the allotted space, but I think I did exactly what the instructions said. It's like the tab is too short or the slots in the floor are not far enough from the stair construct. I feel like the tab into the side wall that basically supports the floor is the most important element. I could widen the slots in the floor so that it would fit, but I'm scared to do that for fear it will throw everything else off. I thought I had it at one point and went ahead and got the second floor on (very tricky and I can't take it off) but then the staircase came off the first floor. I'm frustrated and unsure how to proceed. Can anyone offer suggestions?
  2. Can anyone recommend material to use on the exterior walls of a dollhouse. I want to do a stone look but I'm not sure if I should use wallpaper, individual stones, what? I am having trouble finding a paper product that is textured and I don't like the look of just flat paper. Any suggestions?
  3. Hi Mary Ellen. I'm new to this group too and have already learned a lot and had questions answered. I'm a retired great grandma and I've wanted a dollhouse since I was a little girl. My husband (sweet, foolish man that he is) suggested I go ahead and do it. I've been at it since October and if the electrical ordeal doesn't do me in I think I will finish the basics in another month or two. I think this hobby may addictive but I'm not sure where I would put a second house. Probably says a lot that I'm trying to find room already.
  4. I'm trying to stay positive. I've decided to try solder. but I have a "there are no dumb questions" question. How do you solder the wires from the light to the tape wire? Do you poke a hole in the tape wire, poke the wire from the fixture into the hole and then put a drop of solder on to make the connection? I know the wire has to make contact with the copper strip, right? So you can't just solder it fro the top, it has to go through the outer surface, right? I feel so dumb right now. Help!!!
  5. For today at least it can't be done soon enough. Is a new hobby supposed to make you depressed? LOL
  6. Thanks for the advice. I've had a difficult day with wiring and I think it may be time for a break for a day or two. Of course, I'm scheduled to get a bunch of stuff in the mail tomorrow or Tuesday and that will get me all motivated again. It is official, though, I HATE COPPER TAPE WIRE, LIGHTING FIXTURES AND ANYTHING ELSE RELATED TO LIGHTING A DOLLHOUSE!
  7. Can someone tell me if it is safe to wire a light fixture into the eyelets that make the connection between one tape run and another? Can I just brad the wires from the fixture into the existing eyelets or do I need to put in additional eyelets just for the fixtures? I sure don't want to short anything out!!! I love the lights in the house, but sometimes it feels like a nightmare trying to get it to work properly and consistently. I've been very close to tears on a couple of occasions and about ready to forget the whole thing and just buy battery operated lights.
  8. Hi Pauline I've had a day that went too well and it makes me nervous. LOL I now have lights in a out half the house and they are all actually still working. I've sort of gotten used to everything working and then suddenly, for no apparent reason, not working. Maybe that will happen tomorrow morning, but for now I'm happy. I cured my arthritic knees with bilateral knee replacement nine years ago, but the hips and fingers are becoming more of an issue with each passing day. Getting old isn't for the weak. It takes strength and determination to keep on keeping on. I have been working on my first dollhouse since October of last year and I am totally obsessed. My husband keeps track of how much money I have spent, but I tell him I don't want to know. He doesn't complain and is very encouraging--foolish man.
  9. can the pin hinging method be used even if you have already built the house? I have the door trim on the outside on already, just waiting to hinge the doors in place. But after making my first attempt on the dining bay doors I am ready to try something new.
  10. Thank you for making me feel welcome! I've already picked up a great alternative method for hinging the doors. I installed the dining bay doors using those awful teensy hinges. I ended up gluing one in permanently, got the other one to work, sort of, but they don't really shut properly. I will definitely use the pin hinge method for the front doors and if that goes as well as I am hoping I will take the dining room doors out and redo them.
  11. Just found this community and I'm excited to be a member. I'm new to the world of dollhouse miniatures; just started in October of 2013. I am working on the Pierce Greenleaf dollhouse and loving it. My biggest problems have come from getting the house wired for lights. I chose the tape wire system and am second guessing myself now and wondering if I would have been better off with the power strip method. Oh well, guess I am committed at this point. I still have most of my hair, so I guess It's not going too badly all things considered. It if just very frustrating when everything is working and then suddenly it isn't and you can't figure out why or what you did. Any hints and helpful tips would be most appreciated. Oh, I live in Florida with my husband. I'm a retired Great Grandmother wishing her arthritic fingers were a bit more nimble when it comes to tiny eyelets and brads!
  12. Why do I feel like I picked the wrong kind of lighting? This is my first experience with the world of dollhouses and I picked the tape wire method. So far it has been a bit of a nightmare experience. I had everything I had installed so far working, then suddenly for no discernible reason it didn't work anymore. After spending two days making new connections with those horrible tiny eyelets it is finally working again. Would I have been better off with the power strip method? To be honest, I didn't even know there were different types of lighting to choose from. I just went with the first thing I found..