Profile Information

Previous Fields

• Real Name
    Mary
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

369 profile views
  1. I will still be searching for my Hall's early 1970s 3 rooms up + 3 rooms down, white with green shutters. I would be glad to look for the houses that others are looking for. We're between semesters and now my real "day job" work begins in earnest again; I must learn to get over this. But I will always be looking. I'm happy to look for anything you tell me about, too. (I was actually putting in every city and state into craigslist, but can't continue to spend that degree of time). Happy to keep an eye out in New England for anything people are searching for. And once again, on a new day, just wanted to thank you all for your kindness. I am looking at some of the galleries and am deeply impressed by your work. Truly, the patience and creativity of such projects give much love to the children who receive these. With heartfelt thanks, Jennifer
  2. I have written to the Covington ebay seller to ask if they would ship. I cried over 2 phones simultaneously with 2 ebay representatives trying to help me send a message the site wouldn't let me! (And it was a complicated fix). Someday I'll laugh (maybe). What tipped me over is that the renovation is from the period of American literature that I have taught and will teach again. And I think I have some help. I couldn't conceal my distress from my mother, although I didn't want her to know. They don't have a lot. But now she wishes she could fix it. I highly doubt the seller will ship, so it is really just mentally to know I tried everything. Blondie, thank you for your very kind message. I am so sorry about the fire. The words of empathy from all who have experienced loss do help me, and help me to put it in perspective. I will keep looking for the 6 room one. You've all given me a wonderful gift in knowing *what* I'm looking for. I'm very touched by the empathy here. I am creating new memories of people who care, even as I mourn the old. (((Thank you)))
  3. Thank you all so much for writing. I did try to write to the Covington ebay seller earlier today, but ebay won't let me send it! I don't understand it. I wrote one message yesterday, to ask if a seller of a Tudor style Hall's house would ship (she's in CA, and replied, no, she would not ship). It was not my model but it was still the same Hall's company. But now ebay is telling me that I've written my quota of messages for the day -- even though I wrote that message yesterday, and trying this one this morning, different days no matter what time zone. Perhaps it is a sign I should not pay that much. I do have a great interest in colonial history and have studied its literature at a very colonial American institution. I have taught American literature. The house as a work of art I would value. But I agree it's more than a wise graduate student should spend (I am wrestling with that). Perhaps a benevolent universe is stopping me from pursuing that sale. I am currently waiting to see if an owner of a 2 + 2 rooms would be willing to sell, although it's an earlier model and needs a lot of work, which I could not do while I am back in school. (I came back as an older student; for teaching). It's kind of her to even consider selling it, hearing of my situation. Do you really think I'll find my old 6 room model? I had a long talk with my mother last night, who called to find me crying and wanted to know why. She had no earthly idea that it meant something to me, she thought she was uncluttering and that I had outgrown such toys. (tears...). She did say one helpful thing, that the reason I can't remember the wall paper is that I was so absorbed in my play and creativity. She said no one would remember the wall paper. That helped a little, because I have just been kicking myself. But I wish I had that memory, just to see it so I could have that memory. All last summer while I was home to help my elderly parents, it was there; but I did not stop to look closely or look inside, having no idea it would soon be gone forever. I am kicking myself for that, too. I was preoccupied with helping my parents. I had no idea they were even planning to call the junk man to clear out things from the house. CheckMouse, thank you for your kind words. Someone told me that I should hold onto the fact that there *was* a doll house, that at least I had one. It is a valid thought, even though the memory of having it is now joined to the feeling of losing it. I hope you find yours. Please let me know if I can help. KathieB, one part of me has the wheels turning, wondering if I could do the transaction if someone is there in Covington to pick it up. Silly me though, we would still have the problem of shipping!! I'm still far away!! And the house price plus shipping would be a lot of funds for a graduate student. I'm going to take yours and fov's advice. And surely it must be a sign that ebay won't even allow me to send a message to the seller. (I have written ebay to ask why). Isn't it a gorgeous house, though! I can't tell you how grateful I am to all of you who have responded, here and in private messages. It helps the sharpness of the ache to be among people who get it. I am mindful that people are suffering right now with the truly big things, not having food or shelter or safety. I know in the big picture my loss is negligible. For some reason, I am still grieving; in some way it *was* childhood to me. The magic. I would be glad to keep an eye out for any house that anyone else might be seeking, as I do my searches, too. Thank you all, so much.
  4. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colonial-Style-c-1950-1960-Dollhouse-Renovated-/331101200199 This is the link to the Colonial Renovated c. 1950-1960 house. It's an inspiring model! I will still be looking for photos of the 1970s one with 6 rooms. It may have had more windows. I had not looked at it very recently before my mom gave it to the junk man. I also wanted to say a special Thank You to those who wrote me privately to empathize with the loss. Sending my thanks and my kindest thoughts to you, Jennifer
  5. Some of the mystery is solved, I think. There is currently the version of this Hall's Lifetime Toys doll house with 2 rooms up and 2 rooms down selling on ebay, originating in Louisiana and requiring pick-up only. I cannot buy it because they will not ship. (sigh) But they are listing the house as "Renovated Colonial 1950-1960" -- which makes sense, as I am definitely remembering a house with 3 rooms up and 3 rooms down and no stairway. It makes sense that the model with 2 rooms is earlier. Mine is definitely from the early 1970s. So the 2-room one is earlier. The outside exterior is the same, although I am now not certain of the number of windows. Hopefully when the 1974 Hall's Lifetime Toys catalog arrives on Jan. 16, I'll be able to share any info about a possible later model. It seems that many doll houses for sale are "local pick up only." How do you get your doll houses? Thanks to everyone, Jennifer
  6. Hi, Thank you all for the kind welcome. I am writing most of the details in the other thread about the house specifically. It is really nice to come back here and see the welcomes. As I wrote in the other thread, I don't think it was the Hermitage because it had no side structures, and I gather the Hermitage has those two side wings. (I wrote more in the other thread). But I'm grateful for all the ideas of what to look for! I am just so grateful for this community. You've given me the brand of the doll house (Hall's Lifetime Toys), which I thought I'd never know, as Marshall Field's is closed. Now I can be on the trail. Thank you all for giving me hope.
  7. Dear Morgan, Thank you for your very kind note. You have given me hope. I'm so very sorry about the house that your Grandpa made you. I hope that you do see it on craigslist. If you want to send a description (or if there's one on this site), I will keep my eye out, too. If I didn't know that my mother gave mine to the junk man (as in 1-800-GotJunk), I would be searching for my own house, too. People are telling me to cherish the memories, and to remember the love that went into the gift. I am trying. I do think it's wonderful that he made it for you. I am trying to remember that my mother's love for me is strong, even though she had (and still has) no idea why I would want to keep my childhood doll house. I think my house is not the Hermitage; it did not have structures on either side. This picture from the blog is still the best one I can find of the exterior. It looked like this from the outside, although it had a dark green roof to match the shutters: (Scroll down to the second picture). http://emc2interiors.blogspot.com/2012/10/stylish-houses-for-tiny-people.html I see that there are a few out there with a different front door and a simpler interior. Thanks again to fov (Emily) for these links. I have not yet found the model with my interior. I think I may have to start collecting all the Hall's houses I can find and/or afford, just to try to ease the ache of the loss. Last night I splurged on a Hall's Toy Catalog from 1974, and I am hoping maybe my model will be shown in there. It will arrive Jan. 16. I would be extremely grateful for anyone keeping an eye out for the Hall's Lifetime Toys doll house that looks like the one in the picture. Ideally I would like to find one with the interior of 3 rooms up and down, and each room with a lovely, small-print wall paper. (There was no staircase, in my memory). But I will be heartily grateful to look at all that become available! The search terms I can think of for local craigslists would be Hall's Lifetime Toys; plantation style or Greek revival style; 1970s; green and white. It's such an irony; if I had mine, I would not be scouring the internet looking for every possible one (and purchasing them!) The loss of such a childhood treasure still has me in tears. It was my first and only doll house, and it came at the right age to create the magic, all through girlhood. Thank you to anyone who is willing to help me keep looking. Thank you for all the links. Morgan, I'm focusing my thoughts on your doll house finding its way back to you. So many thanks to you all, Jennifer
  8. Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. I can tell this is a wonderful group. I'm so sorry that others have had the same experience of dearly loved objects being thrown away. I wish I had the words to ease the pain of it. Thank you for sharing your experience with me; I'm just so sorry. (I have been crying on and off since I learned it was thrown out). With the help of this forum, I think we are narrowing in on a brand (Hall's Lifetime Toys), although I haven't nailed down for certain the exact model or year (it would have been early 1970s). (Oh, my, I just noticed my use of "nailed down" - I guess that's what I want to do with all my things right now!) It seems Hall's had a "plantation house" that had those columns and green shutters and plastic windows. I haven't found an exact picture yet; the models I've seen in pictures are not as fine on the inside as I remember the interior. But I am so glad to be on the trail. It must be Hall's or a close variation. I've heard of a book that has some pages about Hall's toys in it, the International Dollhouses and Accessories book. It's pricey, but it might go on my wish list. I'm eager to learn more, and to be among friends who understand the magical nature of the doll house world. Thank you for the warm welcome. Jennifer
  9. I think we have the brand. I am thinking the company must have sold variations on this model, perhaps over different years. I am wracking my brain to remember if there were more windows. I know there were 3 rooms up and 3 rooms down, no staircase, and it was very finely finished, with wall papers that were different in each room. I am glad to have the company to research, as I might be able to get a catalog or "historical" photos. Thank you all for this help, it is so appreciated.
  10. Dear fov, I have written to Renea. I'm beginning to let myself get a little excited that we may have found the brand. Mine was definitely more finished on the inside, and had more rooms; but maybe the company sold a range of models of this design. I feel like at last I have a lead besides Marshall Field's. I can't thank you enough.
  11. http://emc2interiors.blogspot.com/2012/10/stylish-houses-for-tiny-people.html This link is the only picture I've found online so far. (scroll down to the 2nd picture, the white house exterior). Thanks so much for the suggestions. Fov, it is very similar -- if I'm looking at the right photo. Perhaps it is a similar one? Or redone over the years? There were more rooms, no staircase, and finer wall paper and finishes. I see in the links that it's Halls Lifetime toys. That's a definite lead. Thank you. Please do keep the links coming! Thank you so much. Any lead in the direction of naming the brand or finding a photo (or being able to purchase) will be so deeply appreciated. craigslist is a great idea - I hadn't thought to look there. Thank you so much, I am really grateful.
  12. Dear Selkie and Havanaholly, Thank you so much. I will follow all the leads and links you've suggested. I really appreciate your writing. I knew Marshall Field's had become a Macy's, but I hadn't thought to contact them. Thank you. What a good idea to try to find the brand. My mother doesn't remember anything beyond getting it sent from Marshall Field's. I'd love to figure out the brand! There is nothing on the market right now that is like it; Lawbre (spelling?) has a "plantation style" house with columns; but it's definitely not that; mine was far more plain - more like a Greek temple. And of course the inside came finished. My parents would not have been able to afford a Lawbre in any case. Havanaholly, I feel for your loss. I'm so sorry that happened. I find myself actually grieving. I can't imagine your loss. Thank you for your kind words. I send empathy to you. Thank you both so much for taking the time. Gratefully, Jen
  13. Hi, I hope I'm putting this in the right place in the forum. In my newbie intro I wrote how my mother, believing she was helping, cleaned out, while I (as an older student) went back to graduate school. She gave my first & only doll house to the junk man. I am beyond devastated. (I had asked her not to throw anything away). I had made many little things for it, outside and inside; past the doll playing stage, I started making things, adding things, such as a lantern for the outside. I am seeking to salvage memories, especially of the house's interior. I would be eternally grateful for any ideas, any links, any leads to find pictures of this house, and anyone who would be willing to sell. I am not wealthy to get it custom made. Mostly I want to remember what the inside looked like, as it had long been stored facing outward. I am trying to get memories back. Here's what I remember: Marshall Field's wooden house from the early 1970s painted white overall, with white, 2-story, round columns -- and dark green shutters I think it's called "plantation style" but it did not have other trim, like balconies it might also be called Greek revival, with the columns and triangular shape on the top front a plain roof, sloping on each side (no dormers) 3 rooms up, 3 rooms down, all beautifully wall papered plastic stapled windows with painted, drawn-back, white curtains at each window basically a big white square, or rectangle - no gingerbread, no turrets, etc. I found someone's blog who has a picture of the outside, although my roof is green. I wrote to her but have had no reply. If you scroll down in her blog, you will see the white and green house exterior. http://emc2interiors.blogspot.com/2012/10/stylish-houses-for-tiny-people.html Does anyone have ideas how to find one, or find photos? I have researched the history of Marshall Field's toy department (and found no photos of it); I have written that blogger; I have searched for hours on ebay and the web. I would be so grateful even for just a picture of the interior. It was thrown out without my knowledge, before I could even see it again or take a picture. I would do almost anything to have any mementos and memories of it. Thank you all so very much.
  14. Hi, I did a search on doll house forums and found you. I am happy to find a community that values the doll house world. I think my most purely happy childhood hours were spent playing with my doll house. I'll try to write this where it's appropriate in the forum: what sends me to find you is that my mother, bless her heart, thinking she was doing me a favor, threw out my wonderful wooden, plantation style doll house from Marshall Field's. After a career in teaching, I had gone back to graduate school and temporarily have moved to another city. Needless to say, I am devastated. I am trying to find/ locate / see pictures of a white plantation style wooden doll house, with columns, green shutters - and other terms I don't know about - Greek revival, perhaps, with the 2-story columns and triangular shape of the roof front. There were plastic windows with white tied back curtains designed on the plastic windows. The inside had 3 rooms up and 3 rooms down, all wall papered. It originated from the Chicago store of Marshall Field's. If anyone has more info or can post a picture for my memories, I'd be so grateful. I would love to replace it, but have searched on ebay and other sites in vain. I think my heart broke when she led me through the house to "admire her handiwork" and so many things were gone, including my cherished doll house. She had promised my stuff would be safe, but apparently that didn't include things I currently don't use. As a child, I made things for it. I even made a porch light for the outside. Thank you for any and all help. You all would understand what a doll house means. -Jennifer