Scratch Builder

Contact Methods

• Website URL http://jpaulprecisionreplicas.com
  • ICQ 0
  • Yahoo pdlnpeabody

Profile Information

• Gender Male
  • Location Gainesville, Florida
  • Interests I'd rather be riding my motorcycle all over the country, but building houses is the next best thing. Before parenthood I rode my V Star 1300 all over the Eastern U.S. Between Houston, Myrtle Beach, Birmingham, Atlanta and Chicago, I put over 25,000 miles on in the first year. I don't ride far anymore, but I still ride every day of the year. My houses take so long to build I will probably only build a few more, but they will all be one-of-a-kind projects like nothing else out there. I used to draw and paint, but my art never got anywhere, so I gave it up. If I ever take a break from this expensive hobby I'll probably buy an oboe and a few other instruments I play but don't own. Bagpipes are also high on the list. In college I played in a Gothic rock band and worked on race cars. Raising my kids right is my highest priority and takes up most of my time, but its time well spent.

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience Two
  • Dollhouse Preference Please Select
  • Online Community Building Projects No
  • Digital Camera Yes
  • Real Name Jeremy
  • Country United States

Recent Profile Visitors

9132 profile views
  1. What are you up to today? This week?

Sorry for your loss, Jeannine.  I'm glad you got to see her before she passed. Last week I took a break from home repairs and rode to the Sarasota show.  It has quite smaller than the last time I went a few years ago, but it was good to see so many familiar faces and great pieces.  I really liked a modern bunk bed that was there, but it didn't look to scale, so I didn't buy it.  I did buy a cocktail tray with oysters on the half-shell and shrimp. 
  2. What are you up to today? This week?

So, I've been crazy busy lately.  I'm still not sold on my new job.  I could be doing something much worse, but I'm basically a highly skilled filing clerk aka "Docketing Clerk".   The work is very detail oriented and always fast paced, especially since we're working with not only the U.S. Patent office, but the European and several Asian patent offices too.  The work is organized with "Checklists" created as Word documents.  The problem is, the 20+ checklists are between 1,000 and 1,100 pages each, are severely outdated and mostly incorrect.  It's like a surgical student being told "I'm going to walk you through this heart surgery, but about half the things I tell you will be wrong."  My idea of organizing the thousands of different procedures into manageable 2 - 20 page PDFs with a Word master doc that can be updated as needed wasn't well received, but I got tired of flipping through my 3 full notebooks of "updates" all the time, so I started creating an organized SOP manual of my own.  I honestly miss paralegal work.  Far more stimulating. I'm also about a month into a home improvement project on my RL house.  I pulled up all of the carpet and I'm replacing it with composite wood flooring.  I'm about 70% done.  It would have been much easier if I wasn't dealing with a house full of furniture, clutter and kids making messes everywhere they go.  As much as I would have liked to just put in new carpet, my kids would just wreck it again within a year.  I was going to tackle this project in a couple of months after de-cluttering, but my DW ordered a dumpster 4 weeks ago without consulting me first, so I have had to work around everything now. 
  3. What are you up to today? This week?

Two days after interviewing for a job, I was offered the position.  I start on November 1. 
  4. What are you up to today? This week?

So, I just got home this afternoon after spending the past four days on my back.  I caught a stomach bug on Friday morning that was wrecking my day.  My DW found me unconscious on the floor and insisted I should do my passing out in the ER.  I was perfectly fine taking unplanned naps at home, but she usually wins these arguments.  I don't remember much after that until Saturday night.  I do remember almost getting rolled into the ICU.  Luckily I was downgraded before I got to a room.  ICU nurses can make any experience traumatic.  I spent the past three days on my wife's old unit, so they already knew me.  Embarrassing, but they went above and beyond to make my time there comfortable.   It turns out I caught a Norovirus without the fun of the buffets, duty-free shopping and ports of call in the Caribbean.  I feel like I was robbed.   While I was there, I tried to apply for several jobs with my cellphone, but discovered I couldn't access my resume to send to any of them- or so I thought.  It turns out that one of the sites already has it, and submitted it when I clicked on "apply".  I received an email from the intellectual property firm I was trying to apply to this afternoon.  I called them and I will be hearing back soon to schedule an interview.  I have at least three other leads, so I'm reaching out, hoping to find the best fit.  
  5. What are you up to today? This week?

Yikes!  I could barely deal with one broken thigh bone.  I didn't know they're still using plates.  I thought the switch to rods was universal.  I do hope her 2nd surgery is a success.  I am glad your iron treatment went well. I just spent about an hour trying to fix my latest blog entry.  Apparently I can't upload image files from my PC, but only from other sites, like flickr.  The problem there is, you can't just copy the image, they make you copy the entire page with all the text and code, too.  So several attempts to post the pics and delete everything else is a partial success.  The images are there, but there's text over the images.
  6. New Project

Well, I guess it isn't actually "new", but It hasn't been posted here yet- I'm working on a 2D art piece, currently.   About 18 months ago, I started to plan a new pen and ink/stipple piece.  My little ones do so much damage to my minis, thanks to the lack of a separate workroom, that I have had to leave it dormant for at least another year or so.  A drawing, on the other hand, I can lock in a closet or someplace else that the kids shouldn't get into.  So, I started planning on the new piece.  During the first week of April, 2017, I spent the week in the hospital for a scan to detect seizures (I don't have them, it turns out), and I knew I would have endless hours of nothing to do and not many distractions, so I started plotting and inking in a massive 30 inch by 40 inch drawing of a Union Pacific Railroad Big Boy.  At 120 ft long, over 1.2 million pounds and with sixteen drive wheels and a firebox bigger than my first two apartments combined, they were the largest steam locomotives ever built.  I worked on the picture the entire week I was there, but did little after I returned home.  After my motorcycle accident this past February, I had time again to work on it in the rehab hospital, so I did.  I have been working on it at least a few hours a week since then.  If I can get some free time, I hope to have it done by early 2019.   I'm also posting a few more photos of the accident.  After a couple of near-death experiences from it, I'm finally riding again, but not as much.  While I was still on a lot of pain meds, I was able to borrow a sharpie marker from one of the nurses and marked up my cast.  I was really out of it, but I think it turned out well.                          
  7. What are you up to today? This week?

Rebecca, As a father to 3 preemies and all four of my wife's pregnancies being difficult and with complications, the feeling of being unable to assist beyond moral support was horrifying.  I could only imagine how you must have felt.  Knowing that my kids were in good hands helped and they have all pulled through to be very destructive little ones thus far. I'm unable to post attachments to my comments, but I did post a new entry in my blog with a pic of my partially shattered femur.  It's kind of healing, but with a 10 inch long bone shard (looks like a long splinter) that is only slightly attached to the rest of the bone.
  8. Recovering

I guess I've neglected this blog for far too long.  As some may know, I was in a motorcycle accident about 6 months ago.  I'm still recovering from broken bones.  My fractured femur is the only one that isn't healing quickly enough.  it kind of shattered.  I am riding again, but not as often.  I was riding daily, now only a few days a week.    
  9. What are you up to today? This week?

Thanks, Holly.  All things considered, I was fortunate.  
  10. What are you up to today? This week?

I'm still working part-time and job searching.  I attended my first trial a few weeks ago (I've only been a paralegal since 2007).  Apparently our client's HOA didn't like him turning his house into a used car dealership amongst $500,000 homes. LOL.  To be fair, he did stop selling them at his house before they sued him. I'm still doing RL house repairs, so I haven't had any time to spend on minis.  I'm hoping to get some work done on the Tudor soon, but with my DD #2 damaging my projects daily, I'm thinking about holding off until I can secure them away from my kids. Also, my last PT appointment is tomorrow.  I can walk with a little bit of a limp.  I was told the recovery for my broken femur will be another 12 to 24 months, so it will hurt for a while.  I can just be happy to be able to walk at all and still have my leg.  
  11. 'So long it's been good to know ya'

Oh, Mike, I am so sorry you're going through this.  I hear what you're saying regarding the quality of life over quantity.   I don't post comments in albums too often (I'm kind of a lurker in there), but I do appreciate what you and others post.  It's an inspiration to many, myself included.
  12. What are you up to today? This week?

Wishing you a quick recovery, Jackie!  Knee surgery is rough.   A few weeks ago I took the family to Orlando so my DW could get her registration done at UCF.  We spent the first day at Disney Springs and the water park at the hotel we stayed at.  After returning to Gainesville, I rented a trailer, loaded up my bike, and started a quick turn around trip to central Alabama.  About 2 hours into the trip one of my kidney stones tried to escape and got stuck.  It was a very unpleasant 5 hour drive from there.  Luckily I hit the "pressure equalizing" point when I got there, so the return trip went perfectly.  After getting the car transferred to my mom the next day, I cranked up the Harley and rode home.  I had an interview the following day, and of course that's when it started acting up again.  Not surprisingly, I didn't get the job, but I did get admitted and had surgery the next day (July 13).   I'm still applying for jobs, but everyone in this town seems to think they can pay the same wages as McDonald's, so we're looking at other options, like Houston or anywhere that doesn't have an economy that relies on college students or tourists.
  13. Father figure

Kathie! Been working and rehabbing.  With 3 of my 4 kids in school now, it's been busy around the house.  If we take a mini-vacation, we will have to make a detour in Atlanta to stop by and visit.
  14. What are you up to today? This week?

I'm limping again!  After a couple of falls, I'm finally walking without a cane or any other device to trip over.  I paid most of my DW's debt and made the down payment on a new car for her.  A rodent crawled into the frame of her old car and died in a location that cannot be reached, but makes the inside smell like we've been transporting bodies for the mob.  We spent a small fortune trying to get the odor out, but unsuccessfully.  My mother is in need of a car and believes she can get it dealt with, so I'm giving her the car next week.   I also bought a 2014 Harley Davidson Streetglide last week.  After 4 months without riding, I was going crazy.  The Tudor didn't get any work during my home rehab.  I wasn't clear headed enough to do anything with it.  I am going to do some renovations on my real house over the next few months.  If the job I have been interviewing for (2 down, one or two to go), I'll be working close to home, for more income than my two jobs combined, and I'll have time to make some real progress on the Tudor.
  15. Father figure

My wife's former unit she worked in at the local medical center is notorious for getting humorous cakes for their co-workers.  This past father's day, the cake they ordered for their one male nurse read:  "You're not my real dad".