• Last visited

• Days Won

Juliana last won the day on March 7 2014

Juliana had the most liked content!

67 Excellent

About Juliana

Profile Information

• Interests
    Gleaning the good stuff from junk shops, and researching my finds.

Previous Fields

• Real Name
    Julie
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

1,019 profile views
  1. Juliana

The dollhouse

This color for the steps somehow makes the house seem taller and more elegant than the brown did. Good change!
  2. Juliana

trying some things

I think he would want mirrors around to help him spot anyone sneaking up on him. Other ideas: How about a coat of arms or some kind of antique weapons display?
  3. Juliana

Juno Stumpwater

She looks like a quirky character I actually know! Amazing!
  4. I've always thought of stain as just color and nothing else. Didn't know it could strengthen wood as well. I am learning a lot here!
  5. Juliana

A Frame windows

Those shutters are so cute. I love the painted rug idea. She's going to love it.
  6. So detailed, its hard to tell they're minis! This one is my favorite. Great find!
  7. Juliana

1/6 scale Stairway

This house is just so awesome. If you ever get bored with it, send it to me.
  8. Its a neat little house, super sturdy too! But it feels a bit forlorn, with those big windows looking in on bare wood. I don't want it to be a train depot. I'm tempted to paint the inside cream, leaving the crate labels exposed to tell its history. Dress it up a little...red gingham curtains, little vase of daffodils and a kitty sitting in the front window. Just enough room inside for a little bed, a pot bellied stove, a table and a chair... Raise it up an inch and give it some front steps, maybe a simple portico over the door. Yes, its got a good home here.
  9. Incredible! I can only dream of owning a centuries-old place. What a wonderful experience, renovations and all. The view is heavenly.
  10. Juliana

Vintage handmade Creole Cottage

Some of you might recognize this awkward little house from ebay. Well, now its mine, destined to become a replica of the circa 1780s Bequette-Ribault house in Ste. Genevieve, MO. Creole Cottage style. I plan to preserve the vintage condition of the house itself (looks 1940s-ish to me?) and build a raised foundation and wrap-around porch for it to "sit" in. It will be one of the outbuildings for Kelty House, maybe the caretakers cottage.
  11. I took the roof off and found more bits of fruit crate labels stuck to the rafters. So I went on a long search, and found that this house is made from two different fruit crates. One was a Western Sky emperor grape crate, and the other was a Big Sky Bartlett pear crate, both out of 1940s California. So that backs up my gut feeling about this being a 1940s house. I bought intact copies of both labels just for fun, as they were only a few dollars each.
  12. I found a can of Formby's Danish oil treatment left over from an old painted dresser that I stripped and refinished a year or so ago. It should soak in and seal the wood up about the same as linseed oil would do. Just waiting for the spring winds to die down so I can work on the house outside without it becoming encrusted in "dust stucco"...
  13. Thanks Selkie, you're the second recommender of linseed oil along with GirlPiper, and two heads are better than one. I'll go look through that link...
  14. No MDF in this one. Its plywood over a wood frame with siding nailed on top of the plywood. Maybe crumbly isn't the best word for it. The top layer of the plywood roof (there are no shingles) is flaking/splintering off along the corners and edges. Also, the siding seems fragile. One of the pieces of siding split and fell off of its nails during its trip through the mail. Other pieces are wiggly, like they could fall off any time if they felt like it. I don't see any glue in this house, just dozens of little nails everywhere. I think its just really dried out. If it was a hardwood kitchen spoon, I'd rub oil into it until it was happy again. I think the siding would benefit from oiling, but I don't know if plywood can be oiled like solid wood can. Would the oil make the plywood layers come unglued? Maybe not, since there are cutting boards made of different woods glued together...and they can be oiled without falling apart...okay, maybe I am overthinking this! Wood is wood, no matter what shape it takes, right? LOL And they say there are no stupid questions...
  15. Wow, very nice. Beautiful.