diy projects/crafting, reading, writing, surfing the net, training my dog

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    One
  • Real Name
    Rebecca
  • Country
    United States
  1. "or made great kindling." *shudders* Perish the thought. I have to say, I'm attached to my first dollhouse. But my first dollhouse isn't a kit either. It's something my Grandfather took time and energy to plan and build. It's one of the few treasures I have. The house would mean nothing to any one else. I plan to finish it- wallpapering, flooring, lighting *cross fingers*, furniture, etc. Hopefully outer walls as well. I want a store front on the first level.
  2. This one has been talking to me. I have an idea of what to do with it; just not sure how much I can do. Won't be able to see what it looks like til I build it. Plus, if only for the fun of it, I really want to enter that contest.
  3. Someone mentioned keeping it closed and just having little heads poking out of the window and/or door (horse community). I also commented on a little girl's dream, wanting a horse so badly she'd keep it in the garage. I could show why NOT in this little diorama kit by turning it into a garage and over turning the place. Sort of as a joke. Maybe I should just get the kit and wait for it to talk to me. ;)
  4. Yeah, we have a hobby lobby... but I don't remember seeing any miniature stuff. I FINALLY figured out what I want to do for the (miniatures.com) competition this year. Relatively simple too. Can't wait to get the kit and get started! Edit: OK, maybe not so simple as I thought. Either I need to get rid of the door/window wall and replace with a solid wall (how do you do that any way?) OR seperate the side door/window off from the rest of the area as a "tack" room. In which case, would there be enough space for even one horse to get into the run in? Can the side with the wide door be extended somehow? Help please.
  5. At the moment, I only plan on swaps. I'm sure each piece will fit in somewhere! ;) Houses are EXPENSIVE. (I know, I know, I've been warned.) I'm considering getting the room box from miniatures.com and entering their contest.
  6. Bex

Flags

I'm not sure I want to replace the paper on the umbrellas, at least for my American friends. Yeah, it'd be nice to have cloth (and I did see how to do it on YouTube), but... they're very very festive with 4th of July theme. (Still need to take pics of my haul. I crashed/fell asleep. HARD. Just got up not too long ago.) Maybe I can change the Canadian ones to orange and white cloth though. I guess I was more concerned about the paper flags, though... Maybe I worry too much.
  7. "At this rate my craft room in my future house will be filled before we even buy the house." *rolling on the floor laughing my butt off* Cute, Kaelus. Real cute! chester, unfortunately right now I have to carefully collect things for my FUTURE house. I currently have a 1/2 inch that "belongs" to Grandma and Grandpa. I will probably have things for my 1" long before I HAVE a 1". But I could probably show you a picture of my tiny purchases later today. In fact, I probably will. I look forward to having my swap packages put together so I can post a picture of them.
  8. You know you're a miniaturist if you think 2.5x5" is "expansive". LOL. ;) I saw the process done by Joanne's Minis. I like what you can do with egg cartons too. She did a cement sidewalk with it. I want a porch like you have (spacious). I'm dying to do a porch swing!
  9. Bex

Flags

I went to Party City today. I think they're good, but...If you got a swap package and the flag was paper, would you still like it? If paper would work, I might also be able to find a pattern online for toothpicks (for Canada)- or make my own. Also got a parasol... also paper. I intend to use them for beach umbrellas, and I think they'll do well. Hope they like what I send them. I'm so stressed that my packages won't be good enough. I'm new at swaps, so I don't know what to expect or how to SAFELY send something. Only what I see on YouTube. So nervous! Wish I'd gotten one package before needing to send one so I would have a better idea what to expect. Eeek! Picked up a doll for size comparison and every thing seems to work out all right. (WOW! I didn't realize how small a 1:12 doll is!) Of course, she doesn't bend at the waist (she's meant to be a sales associate), so making a chair pattern will be a little harder. I wonder if there's a pattern on-line? I guess I could always check. A friend is also sending me dolls- hope they bend a little more. Ooh! And I also managed to get a few horses... and a fish! Make a fish bowl/tank. For "horses", I got a pegasus for me (the only one I could find) and unicorns for the packages. Perfect size for a toy. Yipee! To be clear, Party City was not the only place I shopped. Also stopped by FanToystic (the little animals $3.60) and ToysRUs (doll $6). I got the umbrellas and flags from Party City ($6).
  10. I need flags. I'm not sure how to go about getting them. I'm in need of 3 Canadian and 2 American flags. I have swap packages to send out next month and I thought I would go with the Independence Day theme. (Canada Day is July 1.) I was going to order them on Amazon, but I couldn't make it work. Either they were coming from 3 different sites or they were add-ons from Amazon- meaning I had to order a minimum of $25 non add-on items. What a pain! So I'm thinking I could craft them- if I could figure out how. (I'd much prefer cloth to paper.) Or trading with someone on this site. In which case, I know I should have put in trading and not here, but I'm not sure how to handle this. I was hoping someone with experience could help me figure out the right route to go. I want to get it out ASAP after July 1, but I THINK it's due (latest) by July 15. If trading- well, maybe you can pm me and we can figure out the details there? Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this. I used my best judgment based off of what I know (not much) to post this.
  11. Wow! 7 years?! Where were you, Tibet? (Supposed to be a joke. "7 Years in Tibet' is a movie. ;) ) I'm a newb. Haven't done a Greenleaf yet, though it'd be nice. I am trying to finish my Grandfather's house. (A post all by itself, elsewhere on the forum.) Welcome back.
  12. Yes, it is my house. I drew the plans. Grandpa brought them to life. ;)
  13. My baby (Service Dog in Training partner, Reese) makes me smile every day. We have our disagreements, but we love each other. I had an episode today at checkout that reminded me of the fact. I was trying to keep myself grounded (calm, in the here and now), but the person in front of me had an issue with one of the tags on their food. It was taking a while for the manager to get there and I needed out now. I started tapping on a soda bottle I was purchasing- I must've looked like a jerk, but in reality, I was having an episode. Apparently the associate recognized me because she laid a calm, reassuring hand on my hand and smiled gently and reassuringly. She smiled and asked politely where my dog was. I told her he was at home because I was trying to run a quick errand (there's nothing quick about having a Service Dog; you have to make sure their needs are met and there's constant interruptions from understandably curious people who also want to tell you about their dogs...) and get food. I guess I can't go 5 minutes without my sweet boy. But he keeps me ticking!
  14. rackey, I'd still REALLY like to do the walls... why does every one (including hubby) keep telling me not to put walls on it? The store front won't have a nice display window... without a window. ;) IDK, maybe I can find a way to put a display window on it attractively without walls... if you know what i mean.
  15. Gee, I can appreciate that. They should not have told you private information. Did you mention that to them at the time? On the other hand, I would hope that people would not encourage people not to tell their doctor such and so. Doctors are there to help you get your life back on track. How do you do that if you don't feel free to open up? Some people actually do need a counselor. This life can be very traumatizing. Please don't think I'm trying to attack you personally. I simply don't agree with discouraging people from seeking help when they need it. CheckMouse, nice catch. And thank you for responding in my place. (I've been other wise distracted recently. ) Yes. I'm (also) PTSD. I don't know where I'd be without my Drs. They help keep me on track and I'm grateful to them (I should also say, that I'm doing well enough, I'm seeing my counselor less and less). I'm grateful to my dog, who is my right hand man. I'm grateful for hobbies to occupy my mind and is therapeutic. They all work together to strengthen me and make life encouraging. "Creative expression is one of the best forms of therapy..." my counselor said the same thing for months. I didn't know until I chose to pick up a pencil though. ;) Yeah, Rodent! Woohoo! "I'm always so excited when I talk about my minis that it's overwhelmingly evident that I'd take a swing at any one who said any thing bad about it." :clap:HAHA! You go girl! I was complaining earlier that there are no (dollhouse or horse) miniature stores in my area- only train and war. I am blessed in this, though. My husband doesn't complain about my hobbies. He takes part in it. His area is train. (So he has a store in our area and I don't. Phtb on him! ) LOL.