LadyGunn

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by LadyGunn

1. What a cute house, Sue! It looks like the grandbabies love it, so awesome job!
  2. One fundraiser down, two to go! I sprained my ankle on Friday while baking for the fundraiser, so I'm still trying to take it easy. Tonight is the awards night for our Wednesday night church program and Sunday is the last Perspectives class. They're both awesome programs that I love being involved in, but I'm so ready for a break and a few free evenings. Two friends have been trying to schedule girls' night out/Alias-marathon night and my schedule has been too full for a while. It's been way too long since I've done anything miniature. Prayers for those who are dealing with health issues in family and/or themselves.
  3. I used clear plastic styrene as replacement windows (I've had my boxed Orchid kit for so long the windows went AWOL). In my Hobby Lobby, it's in the same aisle as the pine box cars and model-building-from-scratch supplies.
  4. Whew! $40/year is much better than the $57 I was told.
  5. Welcome! :welcome: There is a miniature show in Kansas City the second weekend of next month. ... I was going to get the link to the thread about it for you and realized that you've already posted there.
  6. That Tuck Box is adorable! I was told to not wait to join NAME and to go for the 3-year option, since the membership rates will be increasing from $30 to $57 (?) in June or July.
  7. Would any half-scale enthusiasts be interested in a clown doll kit by L. Sisson? I got one in the NAME Newbie raffle and it's just not my style. I'd love to send it to someone who would use and enjoy it.
  8. Happy anniversary! Those hydrangeas are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing the pics. Aren't fibro-hubbies amazing? Of course he wouldn't complain, between the beautiful scenery and the good company.
  9. Thank you for the great detective work, and that tea set your husband got for you is adorable!
  10. I haven't had much time for mini-ing lately. Last weekend was the adoptive mom conference at church and I was the hospitality person in addition to making four cheesecakes. This weekend is a homeschooling conference. Add to that doing tech team Sunday morning, remodeling the RL kitchen, Wednesday night church with 40+ 3-5-year-olds, Sunday night missions class, babysitting nephews, and fundraising for our Peru missions trip this summer. I'm not sure I'll get anything with a deadline done in time. I'm just glad I have a chiropractor again, after the last one left town literally overnight and wouldn't respond to any requests for information until I texted that I would report him to the board of healing arts. That's been totally awesome. /sarc
  11. Once again, something found me: I just learned that I won a raffle on the Newbies of NAME FB page for 25 kits worth $150. :insert Kermit flail here:
  12. Good grief, that is crazy! Would this be a good time to twist a common saying to "Those who can create art, do. Those who can't, judge" ? And judge poorly. I did better and more complex work as a junior high kid in 4-H than that piece of porcine porcelain. Your house is a gorgeous work of art.
  13. I haven't done anything requiring a Dremel yet, but I used to build airplanes at Cessna and was TERRIFIED of the band saw and my cutting wheel (I have a very good imagination, so... yeah. Yuck). I needed both so I used them, but always with a lot of care. Always be very aware of where you're cutting, use PPE, and don't cut when you're distracted. More use will make you more comfortable. I was never 100% at ease with either machine, but I quit feeling nauseated at the thought of using them.
  14. Thanks! I'll have to try to check it out. The KC show is close to Independence, MO, and I have a friend from another forum who lives there and we like to get together when we can. Maybe that visit can take place whilst wandering through some antique shops. Our first meet was in the now-closed Victorian Trading Company store/tea room (the outlet store is still open).
  15. Is there someone who knows her address and would be willing to print any condolences/comments/etc left here and put them in a card for her? That's something that's been done on other forums I've frequented.
  16. I'm excited to watch your progress on this house, since I have an Arrow Royal Dream from craigslist as well. I haven't even seen it yet. My brother picked it up for me and is holding it (safely, I hope) until I can get up there.
  17. Yes, just a plank of basswood. If I had it to do over again, I'd glue the brackets on the front of the window frame and then paint. These frames had been painted before I remembered my plan for the brackets/shelves.
  18. Darn. It was closed a year ago when my husband had a conference in KC and I was free to run around the whole weekend, so I figured it would be open by now. Thank you for the info on the stores, Sharon. Would you happen to remember which antique mall you went to or what street it was on? I looked on Google maps and the closest one specialized in cowboy antiques.
  19. It's just off 435 again this year. Not sure if it's the same place, though. It would be nice to go up a day early and hit the Doll and Toy Museum.
  20. I'm 30 minutes north of Wichita. Currently on my way to a club meeting in Hutch, so I'm going to ask if any of those ladies are interested in carpooling on a day trip.
  21. Has anyone gone to the Kansas City Dollhouse and Miniature Show before? I'm wondering if it would be worth a 4-hour drive. It doesn't look like there'll be very many exhibitors. Then again, beggars can't be choosers, and the closest mini anything is 8 hours away...
  22. Thanks, Selkie. I like your idea of glass and metal for a modern look.
  23. I have one window finished,and the rest are glued and ready to go on once the wallcoverings are on. Tiny dowels will slide through the holes and I just need to find the right beads for the finials.
  24. Have you ever tried a protein treatment to strengthen your hair? I use coconut milk - shampoo first, then drench my hair with the coconut milk while still in the shower, bun it and cover with a plastic shower cap. Last time I slept in it. Wash it out and follow with a good moisture treatment. Protein treatments can be drying so they always need to be followed by moisture. The Redken oil is not heavy at all. I use it to control flyaways and add shine around my face and at the roots, so it's very light. It might be worth a shot to just try on your ends if you can get a free sample from a salon or store. It would only take about 3 drops or so. If you can't get a sample and would like to try it, I would be happy to send the one I just got to you. Just my thoughts. If you want to overdose on hair information, Igor's Bell Tower is written by a Danish woman who has hair past her knees. She's done a lot of testing and has a lot of knowledge. The link above is to her beginner's guide.