• Last visited

4 Neutral

About kmaw

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Please Select
  • Country
    Canada
  1. That's a good idea - thanks for the tip!
  2. Thanks for the information! I think having structure already assembled must make a difference.
  3. I glued the paperclay to the basswood in my sample and it still warped. I guess I needed to put something on both sides.
  4. Thank you! Is the warping only a concern if you are applying the paperclay to unassembled pieces, or should walls be sealed prior to paperclay even if the house has been assembled?
  5. No I didn't, because it is quite a thick piece. But given this result I was wondering if that would be the answer and also whether that is the procedure for substrates like plywood as well. Would you use gesso? Matte medium?
  6. I am considering using paperclay on parts of a house I am making and tried a couple of tests last night. The larger sample is on 1/4" gatorboard (gatorfoam) and the smaller sample is on 3/16" basswood. As you can see, there was significant warping on the basswood and no warping on the gatorboard. I was surprised with the amount of warping on the basswood since it is almost 1/4" thick. Do MDF and plywood warp like the basswood when using paperclay? Would coating the basswood on the other side eliminate the warping?
  7. My daughter and I opened the box for the Primrose Kit today and we are very disappointed with the quality of the wood. Even with very gentle handling, the plywood layers are coming apart in chunks and the inner layers are crumbling (I'm actually not even sure what kind if plywood it is-- it is much redder in colour than the wood in the picture on the box). I can't see any way to sand these pieces or assemble the house with the wood in this state. The Primrose was very inexpensive, so I'm not that concerned about the money lost, but I'm wondering if this is common with Corona Concepts/Greenleaf kits. Has anyone else had this experience?
  8. No, not yet! But when it comes it does come upon us quickly, so I wanted to try out some water based stains to be prepared.
  9. I did see some at Home Depot, so I will probably give it a try--thanks!
  10. I was mostly joking--although in winter in Canada that can actually be kind of hard to do!
  11. Thanks for the tips on the rags! will definitely try that next time. I must say, I like the look of the Minwax better than the water based stain. I guess its a trade off between brain cells and aesthetics.
  12. Hello fellow Canadian! I'm new here too and excited to part of this online community. There is a lot of information here!
  13. I am new here and just received some very helpful advice over on General Mini Talk about water based stain. So I should probably introduce myself! I have come to miniatures via the doll world. I design knitting and sewing patterns for 18" dolls, have been involved in Waldorf doll making and have a small collection of Asian ball jointed dolls. My main reason for collecting dolls is so I can make them things. My favourite doll is 11cm and fits 1:12 miniatures quite well. I am in the process of making him a house out of hat boxes and decided he needed some furniture. I followed a couple of tutorials on the 1inchminisbykris blog (Upholstered arm chair, modern chair and cathedral radio) and from there have struck out on my own and designed a couple of wooden pieces I'm quite happy with. This could become an addiction! Look forward to learning lots here! Kristin
  14. Thank you so much for they advice everyone! I will try some of these tips and see how it goes. I put my stained furniture pieces under a heavy skillet overnight and they have straightened out, so all is not lost. I was hesitant to introduce myself in the new member forum as I haven't actually built a Greenleaf dollhouse, just some furniture. Although I did promise my daughter we could build her the Primrose, so I guess I will soon qualify!