minikelli

Platinum Member
  • Days Won

Everything posted by minikelli

1. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

This just shows the steel pins I've cut to help "set" the steps to the post. There will be more done to make this permanent, but this is still being worked on thus the dry fit stage.
  2. minikelli

Copper ceiling

From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Copper ceiling installed in the second floor, still haven't applied crown molding here yet. Also contemplating if I want to apply some patina or aging to the copper...
  3. minikelli

Resin floor

First time doing a cord wood floor, and first time with resin. The resin was definitely a learning experience, but I can easily see myself working with this more...
  4. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

I read a good while ago from Pat Thomas how the direction of your flooring and the way it was laid could make the dimensions of a room or space seem so much bigger than it was. I love how this picture really shows that point...
  5. minikelli

Numbering steps

Numbering steps so I know how to install them when I get to that point in making my new spiral staircase. This kids is what happens when you have an overload of inspirations in real life stuff, and want to make it in mini! lol
  6. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Took a walk with my pup, found a branch, and made myself some mini logs. After cutting the branch with the band saw we took the pieces in and baked them to season them properly.
  7. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Main floor beginnings -- was really struggling to find a stain and finish I liked for the floor that had been laid. Finally got it after something like 3 different stains and various moments of sanding and paste wax. Also, the third floor ceiling that had previous water damage -- the rest that I found to be usable is the front deck.
  8. minikelli

Crown....

Installing crown molding has never been a favorite of mine, doing so with an angled wall -- definite learning experience!
  9. minikelli

Chair rail

Found the chair rail in a book of scrapbook paper. It was part of a larger trim, and I was thankfully able to cut it down and get it to work.
  10. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Kitchen baseboard installed, as well as chair rail.
  11. minikelli

Imperfections

This shows how some of the resin leaked under the floor, thus that buckle. However, there are always bright sides in having planes and saws to use to get this how I want it. This story will be continued once I get to it. lol
  12. minikelli

Meet ups

Showing the meet up a bit better...
  13. minikelli

Floor love...

I had seen pictures of floors meeting up similar to this on Pinterest among other sites as well, and loved the look. Why not make more trouble for oneself when already working in a scale I've never worked in before?!? lol Anyways, I'm loving how they came out -- definitely a few spots that could use some more attention next time, but all in all still a good first for me!
  14. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Showing the original stair hole opening to the second floor. The cord wood/resin floor will be cut to fit the stairs once I figure out where I want to place them and how, then I will go back in to "fixing/filling in" the original opening.
  15. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Think this shows the differences in the aging and weathering effects used so far on the front facade. Truly has been fun trying so many different techniques out on one build!
  16. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

The end windows are in, though you really can't tell. Still, wanted to take a pic to document. lol
  17. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

One thing I love conceptually speaking about this build, is not only is the back open -- but the side I'm taking pics from is too. I love that this allows for pictures like this of the shadows falling in such dramatic fashion!
  18. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Once the cord wood floor and the split log steps are in place, I'm going to find myself sitting back trying to count how many types of wood, and how many various finishes I've used in this little cabin...
  19. minikelli

Step making...

Another step in step making...
  20. minikelli

Getting the fit

Trying to get the fit of how I want to position the stairs, so I know where to cut and what to fill in for the floor above...
  21. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

This shows the steps temporarily fit on to the central post with steel sewing pins that I trimmed to fit, and then had fun making sure they would actually insert into both the steps and the post.
  22. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

I know there are numerous scientific ways to measure out the angles and where to insert your stair support, trust me I researched loads! Of course when it came down to actually doing it... well, it ended up like me in the kitchen -- eyeball it and pray! lol
  23. minikelli

Small gaps...

I know we're all typically our own worst critic, but these pics did help to make sure I noticed a small gap between the walls. Thankfully was able to rectify this pretty easily.
  24. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Showing the second floor paper, and the small gap between the front and side wall.
  25. minikelli

Seams...

Showing that I've covered the small gap I caught in an earlier picture. Managed this with an incredibly similar colored bamboo thread. No more white showing!