minikelli

Platinum Member
  • Days Won

Everything posted by minikelli

1. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

I remember reading a tip from Pat Thomas years ago on her blog about how the direction of a wood floor could completely change the seeming dimensions of a room -- rather thought this pic completely showed that to a fine point! ;)
  2. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Just a quick shot to make sure I liked how the second floor paper worked with the first floor papers...
  3. minikelli

Step beginnings

From the album: Half Scale A Frame

This is after cutting my mini lumber/logs in half or thereabouts with a small hand saw. I then just took my X-Acto knife to flatten the bottom of each step. I also am making sure to number each of these so I don't lose track of how to fit them on to my central post.
  4. minikelli

Miniature logs

Found a branch while walking with my dog in the woods. Still very "wet", and obvious it had just fallen not so long ago. Anyways, I picked it up and took it back with us to the shop. This is the very beginnings after cutting it on the band saw and baking it. *For anyone questioning the "baking", I do this at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour. Let the wood cool to room temp, and then repeat. This is to ensure if there will be any cracking/shrinkage it does so slowly, as well as to make sure there are no extra inhabitants like termites, ants, etc.
  5. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Showing the main floor beginnings, as well as the wood I settled on for the "deck" area.
  6. minikelli

Shadow land...

Walls are only dry fit here, but I loved the way the shadows were falling over the floor.
  7. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Just showing the main trim installed. The windows and door will be the absolute last things I install, so that trim will be a while to come yet.
  8. minikelli

Chair rail

Didn't think I'd be installing a chair rail, especially a patterned one -- but found some trim in a pad of scrapbook paper I was able to trim down.
  9. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

This is the first I've ever used resin, or attempted to coat a floor with it. Y'all know I love the look of cord wood, and I still had a bunch of slices that I'd cut previously soooo....
  10. minikelli

More floor love

Just some more floor love to show how they meet up.
  11. minikelli

Floor love

Title says it all, I absolutely love this floor!!! If anyone is wondering, this is made from coffee stirrer sticks that were cut down in width(again, these were in my stash from an estate) and a sheet of small hex flooring from I believe Houseworks. I've seen so many pics of floors meeting like this in real life on Pinterest and elsewhere and loved the look... why not try something crazy in a whole new to me scale?!? lol Anyways, while there are a few spots that aren't great, all in all I love the look of it meeting like this. :)
  12. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Don't let the title fool you, I found doing any trim on an angle took some getting used to! Thankfully, wasn't too hard to learn -- and again, have definitely been learning or trying something new with every bit of this build! :)
  13. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Was trying to use up more of my "stash" of stuff, in this case some of the age old 1:12 wood flooring that came to me in another rehab. Parts were water stained, so knew it wouldn't stay in the rehab, but was able to salvage enough for the ceiling here. Love the difference before and after poly has been used on it!
  14. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Just a quick pic to show first floor all basically in, and wallpapers chosen.
  15. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Again, theme here was using up "stuff"! lol The shingles are Greenleaf shingles in 1:12 that had been given to me by someone else who had them leftover from one of her donation builds. She didn't think she'd be using these again, and had already stained them. After sitting around in a bag for a good while, I figured I'd sit myself down with some scissors and see if I could cut them to work for half scale shingles. My main issue I've had to remind myself while gluing these on, make sure I had the back that didn't stain evenly/completely facing front! To further the "aged" look to these, I then applied an alcohol and India Ink wash to them. The "after" of that is the top, "before" is below.
  16. From the album: Half Scale A Frame

Have had a friend making sure to get after me to make sure I'm taking pics of the build DURING the build, and not just after. Admittedly, this has taken me a while to get used to -- but I am finding it really helpful to take perspective shots like this to make sure I like how the patterns and colors look!
  17. You and me both, have been taking some major antibiotics, ear drops, and some other prescriptions for it -- with the doctors' suggestion of an ENT in my future...
  18. Not yet, managed instead to lose 85%+ of my hearing in my left ear and have an ear infection go to my ear drum -- have been dealing with that instead.
  19. Jenn, I've seen it in person and can tell you for a 1:24 scale it is big! I will also say what Talina says in that description -- pics don't do that little house justice!!! It's beautiful, the floors and wall treatments -- you can tell it was put together by someone who dedicated her life to the craft!
  20. Haven't posted here in too long it seems! Have been keeping myself busy working on my half scale A Frame, as well as a bakery rehab, and two other builds currently. Thankfully the A Frame, which I started out with thinking it would be a nice quick "easy" build is just about done! I have no idea why quick and easy ever crossed my mind in regards to any build, b/c inevitably I always decide to do something just a bit "different" which ends up adding numerous steps. lol All in all though, I'm really liking the way it's looking -- I was trying to really do it up like an old A Frame in the woods or possibly along the coast -- weathered on the exterior by air and water, and for the most part I achieved that. Then the build started saying it likes to show it's age in this little story... but couldn't it have some folks that cared enough to start fixing it back up?!? So, I went from thinking just weathered and "rustic" to weathered and a definite modern-ish vibe on the interior in regards to finishings. Hoping to get a new album loaded here soon with my pics. Has been great browsing through and seeing what you all have been up to lately!
  21. The only name I was able to dig out of that issue of Nutshell News for it was "Victorian Gable Roofed House", still it was good to be able to get some history on it before I go to see it! :)
  22. Diane, my many many thanks!!! You dear woman are an absolute jewel!!! I've been going through my Miniatures Catalogs and had started going through magazines, but hadn't found it, you are incredible to have located it so quick! Thank you so much again!
  23. I've been in talks to get this for well over a month now, and no matter how many times I look at it I just can't place it. Hoping once I actually am in the same room with it, whether I get it or not -- that at the very least I'll finally get measurements and be able to work at ID'ing it that way... I love that it has the flat back to go against a wall though, as well as the matter of the various openings like the front panel and roof.
  24. I am going to be looking at a 1:24 scale dollhouse next week. The woman is apparently clearing out stock she had from her shop years ago, and is unable to tell me a name for this... apparently a bit older and doesn't remember. I keep thinking I should be able to recognize it, but have yet to ID it. Thought you guys may be able to ID it for me. It's half scale, and just strikes me as unique enough to be memorable...