minikelli

Platinum Member
  • Days Won

Everything posted by minikelli

1. Judith, I ran into that stair issue when I built that for my niece for Christmas... However as she's 4 and decided to introduce the new family to their home by pitching them down the stairs -- well it's not been an issue for her. For myself though -- would've driven me nuts. lol I had also thought to add railings and a banister, but after dryfitting them, they just took up too much room for my liking.. Good luck getting it to feel right for you though.
  2. Jeanne, no problem and I love the red room. Even just looking at that one picture it portrays a nice sense of depth to the wall and also just a cozy sort of feeling. I've always liked rich colors though, and I really like the way that red plays with the rich color of the wood. Very nice! Oh, and as for the sawtooth patterned tiles, gotta love the GL tiles and Deb's posts to give you ideas on how to accomplish a nice parquet effect. I've actually been working on more of those today for another room, this pattern is called Montecito and while the room is going to be smaller(thinking a sitting area) the floor aught to look nice and detailed(hopefully :kicking: .) For some reason with this house I've just really been drawn to flooring with two or more tones to it, and I really find I like that with different wood tones...
  3. Welcome Jacci! That sounds like a definite plan -- and it sounds like you may be in the same boat as a good number of us waiting for the Spring Fling announcement as to what the build may be. :kicking:
  4. With my mind being so finicky I've decided I don't like the pattern of these for my rooftop patio. Have been researching different looks/options to make it more realistic. Will update when I find and succeed in changing.
  5. Had originally planned on an ivory color for the basic trim color with accents of burgundy. Since my color of green for the shell changed though I'll be doing a brighter yellow with a lighter mauve(called Baroque Plum) coloration for the accent pieces.
  6. Judith, I'm thinking of trying a spiral staircase in the current rehab. So that may well be practice for the giant. lol I've been contemplating two options with it so far -- either the original thought of apartments, or possibly do it up as a hotel. That way I can do a funky little foyer on the first floor. For some reason was looking at shampoo bottles and thinking it could be a floor to ceiling aquarium with a nice little circular seating area around the base... Proof that no matter how many I may already be working on my brain is going to go off on odd little tangents in regards to new possibilities... But I really liked the mental visual I was getting so I jotted it down as a possibility for later. lol :kicking:
  7. Jeanne, if you look in my gallery for the Petite Dreams house rehab there is a picture in that album of two colors of those tiles together. I personally LOVED them! Really easy to use, and I think they look great. :kicking:
  8. From the album: Petite Dreams by XL Machine

Originally this kit came with the light blue for the house, white trim, and dark blue for the shingles. It's a nice color scheme, just not what I would think of for this. Have chosen to go with this green due to my other option not working out, but I think I like this better. It's very much like a jewelled tone to it. Hope to get a better shot in sunlight when the weather starts co-operating...
  9. From the album: Petite Dreams by XL Machine

This was a piece of RL laminate flooring from a long ago project my folks were going to do. I love the mosaic look and it's perfect for this!
  10. Indeed it is 1" scale, the Tiffani was actually made by several companies and the only real difference I've seen is the matter that the front wall has been turned so that the double window is on the opposite side for some. I've actually got the same house made by Whitney in my gallery, still working on it -- and I will freely admit it will look nothing like what it does on the box. lol Only thing I wasn't really fond of while putting this together is how little head room the little people would have on the second floor, so I did drop that down a bit to make it more realistic. Neat thing though(in my opinion) is the wall nook you get on the second floor, if you put false doors on you can have built in cupboards, or just a nice shelf for displaying items like books etc. Good luck and have fun with it! :kicking:
  11. Well said Jeanne! Of course, going with as many houses as I am one may say my dreams are just a wee bit eclectic... lol :kicking:
  12. Well... As of today I broke down and said I'd take it. Won't be picking it up for a couple of weeks, but when I spoke with the woman she stated I was the only one she had seen that may be able to do something with it? Have to admit I was more than just a bit surprised with that statement! However, this now means I've just committed to taking on a house about as big as me. lol Where the devil am I gonna put it til I get to work on it?!? Ah well, been warming up here the last couple of days so should have the last few panels for my Victorian out of the shop and in the house to prime and get some paint on... Should open a bit of space up out in the shop... That darn MDHS mentioned in Chris's post really seems to be one heck of an affliction. But I must say I'm enjoying every minute of it! Going to try and update my gallery later to show where I'm at on other projects. Thankfully, though I never thought I'd be saying it, all of the houses I'm working on are smaller. Seems to be the most recent additions are all going to be a good bit larger though. lol Keeping my promise to self though that I'll finish up a couple of these before I start on anything more new... Well, hopefully. :kicking: On the other bright side I've gotten confirmation that the Victorian will have a home to go to when finished. Hadn't intended it for my aunt and uncle's place, but they've got 7 grand daughters of various ages -- 5 of which are dealing with the break up of their parents. My aunt's thinking it may be therapeutic for the older ones whom have watched their mom get abused to be able to work out some of their issues... I can only hope.
  13. According to the RGT site the dimensions for the 1:12 townhouse are 20"Wx20"Dx38"H, where as their playscale townhouse measures at 26"Wx22"Dx58"H. Was thinking though if the kits by RGT are the peg and hole type assembly like the Petite Dreams home I'm currently working on -- well, was thinking with a building that tall(almost as tall as I am :kicking:) not only could the floors be dropped down, but could have a couple added in as well. The windows and doors would all need to be switched out of course to be more in scale with what I'm thinking. But I've the image in my head of possibly being able to change it to look like a brownstone, or apartment of sorts. A different residence on each level... Don't know for sure, but am trying to ponder possibilities with it, or possibly keep it in the scale it is and just fix it up and donate it. Haven't committed to taking it yet, and for the moment it's still hanging out in a damp basement. Have a couple weeks to figure out for sure if I'd want to take it on or not. Again though, any and all input is more than appreciated!
  14. Hi all, as well as I think a few people have caught on I spend a good bit of time in regards to getting new house kits or houses to rehab via Freecycly, Craigslist, and general word of mouth. Was recently contacted in regards to what was termed a Pink Wood Dollhouse. The pink wood as it turns out is a Real Good Toys Victorian Townhouse the playscale specifically. Was wondering if it would be as easy to bash one of those kits to fit 1:12, possibly drop the ceilings down a bit or whatnot? However wasn't too sure if it would be as simple as it has been with the tab and slot kits.. Thanks in advance for any input. :lol:
  15. Welcome Amy, can't wait to see your pics. Have my eye on a Pierce kit for sale locally, but debating with myself if I should even allow myself to look at it... I swear these little houses just keep multiplying! lol
  16. Welcome Mindi! I as it seems so many others as well, can not wait to see your visions come to life in your mini people. As already stated if you make several more posts you aught to be able to open a gallery to show what you've already made. Good luck to you on learning the polymer clay tricks, not a medium I've tried yet -- but thinking it's an eventuality that is likely to happen soon from all I've heard/seen you can do with it.
  17. I'd love to get my paws on that house too! Was one of the first mini houses I laid eyes on on ebay -- and I still drool every time I see it, hear the name, dream about it... well you get the idea! lol
  18. Amanda I've heard that before in regards to the feng shui.. However if the doors are offset, not right in front of the front door then the little people aught to be alright. For myself I went with the directions on the Laurel I built for my niece, and have to say while the stairs were pointed towards the front of the house, I wasn't a fan of them. Though given I don't think it was the direction they were facing so much as the stairs themselves. lol For the Petite Dreams home though I've done a mock up of cardboard stairs for the first floor that will be facing the back of the house with a small landing then leading to the side a few steps. Guess my point would be that it is just that a personal preference I believe as to what you prefer. One house may seem right with the stairs going one way, where as one may seem better going a different way. Oh, and after my nieces' house, I think I much prefer the idea of banisters to make the stairs look more real... Again it's all about what you see as being right for your house. jmho
  19. Happy belated birthday Wolfie! Hope it was wondrous for you :lol:
  20. Didn't realize it was electrified also... Too true on the beyond words comment.
  21. I really like the look of the windows with the light coming through them... Very much like a faerie den, you get the twinkle of light -- but muted so as to not hurt their eyes. Lovely work, truly lovely work!
  22. minikelli

front of stairs

While I love that stair runner, I really love the stairs themselves and that natural feel you've given them. This is going to be a spectacular faerie manor! Can't wait to see more...
  23. Amanda, the venting can be extremely helpful. Number 1 remember that as you've already stated those that have attempted to insult you are being just as you've seen -- immature. Number 2, as for the job hunt that is a boat I think too many are in. For myself I can say that even being self-employed as an insurance agent/financial adviser -- with this economy, while I have employment it's not bringing in nearly what it once did. However if you don't mind a quick suggestion, if you ever check out Craigslist for dollhouses like it seems so many of us do, check out their employment section. I found myself doing that just the other day, found a transcriptionist position, I can still work from home and call my own hours -- but the extra bit of money that will bring in will help me to not only keep myself afloat but also still help my parents out. With them every little bit counts... Then to number 3: if you've lost interest in the Fairfield at the moment... well I think that happens to most everyone from what I've seen, and if you've found yourself dh afflicted like the rest of us -- well, who's to say that little kit can't be set aside while you work or refresh something else? It will always be there awaiting your return(says the girl who's working on 4 houses right now :lol: .)
  24. Welcome Freda, as you can see many of us have to go the internet route for shopping for supplies. Whether it's raw materials or not, I know most anything will be 3 times the amount I'd pay ordering it on-line if I had to drive to go get it... Just have to love the gas prices going back up :lol: . Can't wait to see you start your build, and do know if you've questions we're all here to help one another.
  25. minikelli

lol

Just came across this too funny! ... but oh so true! :lol: