• Dollhouse Building Experience
    Three
  • Real Name
    MS
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

1,719 profile views
  1. Does it flake off when you try to mold it?
  2. Does anyone know if the cracking had anything to do with Dura-craft going out of business?
  3. I get tempted by the wooden and ceramic gazebos in craft stores. Unpainted wood or naked ceramic ones could easily be bashed into interesting roof features. I see them near the birdhouse kits and little wooden boxes.
  4. About the Lawbre onion dome, I cannot post photos of my stuff. It is being done for illustrating children's books. Putting up pictures would put them in the public domain, then publishing would be complicated.
  5. I did an old Lawbre gazebo with an onion dome roof. It had curved wooden supports and flexible cardboard sheathing. I traced the parts before assembling, in case I ever want to make other onions.
  6. I use a piece of clear scotch tape or slight dab of glue to hold hinges and handles in place as I install the pins, and masking tape to hold cabinet doors. The tape bits come off after it is securely fastened. I have also found it easier to use long pins than teeny short ones. The excess can be snipped off inside the door or drawer. Holding the teeny ones is too frustrating! If you have to snip some long woods into several short bits, mark and cut them one at a time. The "cut loss" from the blade can throw off measurements if you divide up the length all at once. I mark and cut from each end, working in towards the middle. That way I have two cuts at a time from good measurements. My San Fransiscan 550 is being done mostly in Realife miniature furniture kits. I like the continuity of style. Old HOM minis made by my grandfather when I was little are going into a big Georgian scratch build along with whatever kits I find that he did not do. He engraved his name and the build date on the bottom of each piece. I have been thinking of doing the same. Someday these will belong to someone who will like knowing where and when the pieces started. Good luck with them, and enjoy the build.
  7. Handing it over to your guy is not a failure. The team approach is always better than going it alone. Each person has a set of skills -- use it, don't try to do everything on your own. You will find what you are good at doing. It won't be everything. I struggled with a cone shaped tower roof, trying to cover it with copper several different ways. I made it more complicated by adding two octogon windows and an inside tapdoor to make a secret space. Days of effort did not get the cone just right. So I made use of my best resource -- the guy. He has no ego problem with doing the same. He turns something over to me instead of letting it drive him bonkers. Sometimes he calls to ask for input when he is frustrated. We are a team. I understand you wanting to do things well. But so many projects at once may have the crippling effect of bringing frustration from one effort over into another. I find that tea breaks between projects helps. You will get your mojo, learn as you go, laugh at past mistakes, make all new ones, and be surprised to find skills you did not know you have. Yesterday I glued some kitchen cabinets before staining. It was a silly mistake. Now I have glue marks that cannot be stained over. I laughed at myself, then planned either shelf paper to cover it, or painting the inside of the cabinets a cheery pale yellow. Maybe both? Whatever I do, I will always look at those cabinets and remember the goof. Today I expect to make new goofs. It is part of the fun. I hope you have a better day today. Perhaps some chocolate is in order?
  8. I look forward to getting to know you. The forum has tons to teach, but we still learn from each other. Welcome!
  9. Looks fabulous! Corner unit! Go see it and imagine yourself there, if it feels good, it might be right.
  10. Actually, after researching, it is a discount only on certain days. They announce 'discount days'. The amount is also changeable.
  11. Yep, that is it. I did wonderful floors with it. Now I am thinking about siding from cereal boxes. That was new to me!
  12. By the way -- don't fret about other ways to do things. You know how you want to do it and only that will make you happy.
  13. I have a weirdo template from my quilting table that I used to score planking into plywood for my San Fransiscan. It is for making perfectly straight lines. Kind of hard to describe -- a big clear square with even line holes. I guess it looks like a louvered shutter. I. Love that thing. I can use a rotary cutter or an exacto or a teeny pen to get even and straight lines on fabric or paper. I will try to get an image from google and post it in the gallery. I have no way to post in topic here,