About Naninni

Previous Fields

• Dollhouse Building Experience
    One
  • Real Name
    Nancy
  • Country
    United States
  1. I have purchased an Earth & Tree "Dixiville" build & would like to apply MDF siding. Can that type do siding be stained to look like old, weathered siding?
  2. My name is Nancy , aka Naninni, and live part-time in Buffalo, NY and the other time in Las Vegas, NV. I joined the forum November 2014...I retired from nursing after 40 years full-time...That gave me free time to pursue new interests, such as gardening & minis!..since things have a way of getting pushed forward I never did a "new Member" profile...so here goes. My late mom purchased a 3-level townhouse for me to "try" miniatures. That was Christmas of 1990 and I initially primed & assembled the frame. Then stopped. I was completely intimidated by wiring and at the time had no knowledge of a site such as Greenleaf. Yes, 1990 to 2007 is quite a gap...17 years to be exact. But once I started, the hobby has become my passion....something you all can relate too. As we began to move some of our household to LV I packed up that townhouse and decided I would give it a real effort. There was a hobby shop (closed in 2014, boohoo) with a knowledgeable & helpful lady named Judy. With her encouragement I accomplished the wiring and then the fun began. Judy also put me in touch with the local miniature group, Las Vegas Miniature Enthusiasts. Since becoming a member I have been able to share ideas as well as good company. The townhouse, "171 Park Place", was completed in 2013 . I began work on my 2nd build, an "Artists' Studio" in 2013...it was completed in 2014. I have plans for a future build, "The Longbranch", as my husband Joe is crazy about Westerns, esp. Gunsmoke. These builds are done when I am in Vegas so the time living in Buffalo is spent trying to build or craft all things miniature & portable for airline travel. I have been able to create mini flowers that will be used in my next build. This summer I have missed minis too much so I ordered a 2-window store front by Houseworks to do here in Buffalo. It will be "La Fleuriste Boutique". I recently submitted an inquiry to the "Forum" regarding to prime or not when doing the MDF walls....will get that done this weekend. This is my "mini story" so far....I would have submitted photos of the first 2 builds but I'm now working on a new desk top & the photos have not transferred over....no more procrastination in submitting this profile...it will go without those pics.
  3. Relatively new to "minis"...it took me 20 years to screw up the courage & have the time after receiving a "kit" for Christmas from my mom...completed my 1st 2 years ago, my second this past winter & now working on my 3rd...YAHOOO, I'm so in love with this as a hobby...totally beats TV!!! but my book reading is suffering unless it involves "miniatures" Anyway, I do digress...1st house wired with tape...yes, finicky to handle those little brads, make sure there are no spilts or bad curves, etc. All was working well, after completing until 1 yr later...kitchen hanging light has gone out, after I broke the bulb trying to unscrew & change it I replaced with brand new light...still not working!?!?! too late to ck tape wire as it is buried under wall paper, etc. so now the kitchen has no light...groan Second house was very carefully wired,each new bend or fold & brad insertion was tested along the way, drawing of layout done & filed for future need, completed wallpapering & guess what? ...lighting no longer worked...major double groan & feeling of nausea in stomach!!!!! I did not want to rip out all the wall coverings I had just newly installed... The house is now lit by all LED battery lights....not my favorite but I do appreciate the light. So, now I have an abundance of lighting fixtures ordered & opened for 2nd project...I have been researching round wire & definitely feel this is the way to go....it actually doesn't appear to be as finicky as the tape wire....will use in a later project, currently have a supply of Battery lites for current (3rd) + a planned future build...looking forward to giving it a go. I follow Brae of Otterine.com & she seems to strictly use round wire...go to her site...beautiful work & she gives gives detailed instructions! One more thought...I read somewhere that wall coverings could be applied to card stock which would then be placed over the walls, instead of actually applying coverings/paper to the wall itself...then, in an electrical failure you could remove each covered wall section & do some testing/repairs I hope this helps...so for being so long-winded!....Nan
  4. I recently received my next project, a Houseworks 2-window store front. Am planning to do a "Parisian Floral Shop". I have been practicing on scrap wood doing glue with tissue paper for a simulated plaster wall, both exterior & interior, ...I like the look...somewhat in need of repair, old like the city! The kit is MDF wall with wood trim. Is it necessary to prime those MDF walls before applying the glue & tissue??? I will prime all the trim. Thank you in advance from a relatively new member to your "forum Also not sure how to navigate this forum....any help would be greatly appreciated!
  5. Thank you all for your helpful tips...I tried Debra's tip of "matte" Wet & Wild Nail Polish...it worked beautifully! "Brushed" brass is much better than the god-awful super shiney finish. Best part, no sanding those tiny little fixtures ....and, it sticks, no flaking so far. Also went one step further on a fixture for my future build, "Longbranch Saloon", using Brae's tip of dry brushing dark brown paint...did this once matte nailpolish had dried...worked like a charm, very vintage. so glad I found this forum..
  6. I'm looking for an inexpensive way to tone down, or even change, the brass look of mini light fixtures? Am relatively new to miniatures, have only built 1 house, working on second