Joan
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

714 profile views
  1. unicorn_emporium

Unicorn Emporium

Stuff I've made
  2. Yes, it was dry and had been baked. I'll give that a go and see how it works. Thanks!
  3. I tried painting a baked Sculpey Premo item with Model Master gold paint. I really liked the shininess and metallic look of the paint as opposed to acrylic paint. However, I ran into the problem that after two days, the paint was still very sticky and tacky and actually partially came off on my finger when I touched it. Does anyone know of a way to be able to use this paint on baked polymer clay so that it will actually dry? Should I seal the item with a matt glaze first and paint over that with the gold, or should I paint it first with a similar gold acrylic paint and then paint over that with the Model Master paint? I'm thinking there must be some chemical reaction with that type of paint and the polymer clay which causes it to not dry and to stay sticky.
  4. Yeah, that's true, I didn't think about that, because it kind of acts like plastic itself. Maybe more a rubber cement type of glue may be better then or Gorilla glue?
  5. I'm trying to locate where to buy the attached "gothic frame" that I need for a project. I'm not even sure what size it is, but I'm guessing it's probably somewhere around 2 inches tall by maybe 1-1/2 wide. If anyone has seen one of these or knows where I can buy it, I would greatly appreciate it! I'm thinking it might be a metal stamping of some sort possibly. Thanks!
  6. I pretty much use Aileen's Tacky Glue for most everything.
  7. Wow, that's a good one! Let me see... 1. Use of things for which they weren't intended. Lots of "junk" can be repurposed into minis or can be used for making molds for minis. 2. Looking at what other people are doing, especially tutorials, to get ideas and to update skills. 3. Patience. I seem to have tons of it when working on something. I get in the zone and HOURS can go by without even noticing it. I've been known to look up at the clock and it's 3 am! 4. Using imagination to come up with ways to make a "real life" item in minature. 5. Always collecting new tools for both minis and real world projects :-)
  8. Excellent! It's always great to score something fabulous and unexpected!
  9. Gorgeous! I love the white shabby look...That's a fabulous table!
  10. I don't know how I'm going to decorate it yet. I have a tendency to gravitate towards "Victorian" or "Edwardian", but I'm already doing the Beacon Hill in that style...or rather maybe a combination of those styles. I don't like modern at all, so that's out. I'm mulling around Colonial or possibly a Country French/Shabby Chic/Romantic sort of look....I just don't know!! Ahhhh!
  11. I seriously couldn't believe it, that's why I had to buy it. Plus, I think I got a pretty killer deal...$75....and I know these go for at least triple that. The funny thing was that the lady having the yard sale was selling it for a friend, so it wasn't even her sale, LOL! She was nice enough, though, to put it in her van and take it to my house because I just lived around the corner!
  12. I was just minding my own business yesterday, out for a walk around the neighborhood, and wouldn't you know it! A yardsale with a dollhouse right in the front. Well, of course I couldn't pass it up. It needs a little repair work on the front porch gazebo, but nothing I can't handle. Great...now I have to decorate two houses, LOL! I've been trying to find what model this is on the Internet, but can't seem to find it. It's similar to the Hillcrest, but it's smaller and doesn't have the dormer windows on the roof. Maybe one of you good people recognize it.
  13. Very cool idea! How about a mausoleum? I use mat board for a lot of things...heavier than cardstock, can be cut with scissors or X-acto blade, can be painted to look like any surface, etc. I like the moss on the ground and the "uneven" surface...makes it look old and abandoned! I'm into genealogy too and like perusing old cemeteries...it may be macabre, but it's also very peaceful and relaxing, not to mention some of the really cool stonework and statuary... 1:44 scale, N-scale, HO-scale...ACK! My eyes have enough trouble seeing at 1:12 scale, LOL! :-)
  14. Oh, excellent! Thank you both! I was unable to find any measurements - All of the patent drawings I could find only listed letters that corresponded to the parts, but no dimensions like on a regular engineering blueprint. So, I had to try and find pictures of people standing next to the washer so I could get an idea of scale and proportion. I just need to add a handle to the wringer and it will be done!