morgansmith

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by morgansmith

1. Welcome Andy! Your Grand daughter is a very lucky little girl. I had a Grandpa like you and no price can be put on that. Although I have never made one, the House of Miniatures kits came to mind when I saw your house and read about it. I bet you could really do something special with those kits. Good luck and please, once you post here 5 times, you can start an album. Post lots of photos. Ask lots of questions. I promise, this forum is a perfect place to enjoy this great hobby. Have fun, Morgan
  2. What a fun project. Yes, it is a shelving unit and not a dollhouse. Yes, it is a perfect dollhouse. I don't want to mess with your big dreams for the house but I would consider a few things. Having a just turned 6 daughter I can easily say your daughter isn't going to care about wallpaper. She would probably much rather just have the spaces painted. 6" is a good size for 1/2" scale. There are a TON of sets out there with furniture pieces, accessories and figures like Hello Kitty, Calico Critters, My Little Pony, little princess dolls, and anything your heart desires. What about not worrying about wall paper and piano's that will probably live upside down in the basement with a pony in it? You could use this wonderfully unique dollhouse shelf as a place to house all kinds of tiny toy sets. A Hello Kitty bedroom and living room. My Little Pony gets a bathroom and kitchen, Sophia has a bedroom and dressing room, Lalaloopsy has a kitchen...and so on. They all have all kinds of stuff. Also, wiring will be a challenge. Is the unit wood or mdf? If it's mdf, big project to wire in my opinion. Here is why I would consider the above. Do yourself a favor and examine the Greenleaf Company store. There are other brands too, I am a Greenleaf fan. Look at the amazing dollhouse kits for older kids and adult collectors. In your story, I heard a Mom who would do justice to an heirloom quality project. Something in addition to this piece. Don't think one dollhouse will be enough. Start saving such things as this fantastic wallpaper find for a detailed house, later. Something with windows and doors. Your house is awesome. Don't get me wrong. With your desire, you should check out what else is out there. You might be like the rest of us. We are most all rather addicted to this wonderful hobby.
  3. Maureen, if I see Rackey in New Jersey I will do more than honk. I'll pull her over and take her to lunch. Hopefully I will be able to do so without being arrested of course I had a great smile this weekend. I sent a male friend (school friends since 6th grade, that's over 40 years, wow) photos of the Buttercup I am working on. He asked if I would make him a 'fantasy doorway' and to name my price. Basically, he wants a vignette of a really great old front door. How cool. I mean, I know he likes fun art, he posts his latest finds on facebook and compliments the artists all the time. Never thought he'd want my work. How fun.
  4. Deborah, I commented on a photo. That roof and the color scheme on the house...fantastic! A 10 out of 10.
  5. Please do that Blondie! I will selfishly encourage you I really want to see how the bed is going to fit. And the cabinet. I still haven't ordered my bed and am hoping that seeing yours will inspire me I am curious about the cabinet as I had to delete a window in the house to fit a fireplace. I want to do another Buttercup with a Hoosier, hopefully, in the same location. It will be fun to see how you work those pieces in. My mouse is beginning to come out of her funk. Evidently, the house wasn't pink enough for this mouse and her baby girl. We'll see. If she's not happy with it when I'm done, I'll let her call the shots. Maybe she's just not a shabby chic kind of gal Good thing shabby chic is only one of my decorating personalities and minis allow me to decorate any and every way I choose Buttercup, Buttercup, I love you, yes I do... that's it! She needs a cat Nah...just jokin' Ms. Mouse.
  6. Rebecca, I am not sure where or when, but somewhere on this forum, I begin a story EXACTLY like yours. I designed it. My Grandpa built it. Years later, I was talked into selling it. It is a tragic story in its entirety, literally. Hopefully you hear my heart when I speak to you in this. Thank you so much for sharing your story and for the touching video. I understand, from experience, what this house means to you and am honored to be given a chance to encourage you in any way I can. You will be given a lot of advice. Please begin with doing nothing in haste. Too much is impossible to undo. My vision for your building is strong. To begin, please...stick with minimal to no change. Please. You will be happy for it later. Before starting anything, I would put a clear sealer on every square inch of wood. Preserve it well. What you have is in my opinion the PERFECT base for a loft style building. Do not add any walls. None. For the second floor wobble, some great columns with interesting architectural detail will support it perfect and add interest. Floors, aged wood and/or painted concrete. Walls, some brick and some wood. Cielings, wood. For the wood everywhere, add one of many types of wood great for cielings, floors and walls or leave what you have. Stain it even (before sealing) but don't add anything like carpet. For the concrete, seal, wood filler and sand until smooth then paint. For the top, a roof top gardens. Could be a beautiful brick design floor. Now, instead of a house, this loft style building is a high end business. Furniture store, antique store...a place to display whatever mini's you want. Employee's enjoy the park like setting on the roof as a place to take breaks and eat. The bathrooms are hidden in the basement. The kitchen area is a business area and non functioning or maybe a small cafe for the building. Rebecca, it already looks like a vacant warehouse. Make it a high end warehouse. Antiques, furniture, or whatever. Finished in neutral wood and brick, etc. you could re do it however you want, whenever you want. I look forward to your journey in this project. How beautiful that you care so much. Your Grandpa was very blessed to have you.
  7. Awww Rebecca...people like 'us' just love getting ahold of young ones like you Hear me and hear me well. Us big girls get as much enjoyment out of such interests as you have described as any child ever has. There is NOTHING wrong with it. And if you are unsure still, consider this. At the prices of such dolls as American Girl, it really helps to love them and be old enough to find our own way to purchase them. I have collected dolls and played with dollhouses since I was tiny. I CLEARLY remember being given different things, a teddy bear at 7 months and a doll at the same age. Christmas. Those memories are priceless. I was even more excited when I found my first American Girl at the thrift store, 100% perfect, 14.99. At the age of 41 And, when the post office clerk saw me and opened her window on a Saturday, when my second American Girl, Mia, arrived during off hours. She was the first 'expensive' doll in my collection. Recently, I got into the tiny bjd's. Educate yourself there at your own risk. These babies are often easily 200-300 and up. My last was 300. Ball jointed dolls. I have a Real Puki and an Amelia Thimble. Now, a Honee B is next. PM me if you want more details on where to find these dolls. As for dollhouses and dolls that go together. Go to etsy and ebay and search 1:12 ooak's and dolls. Also animals. We have several people here who make amazing people and animals. Jo Med. EEWinters, Steve, I can't remember his last name. Anyway, others who can post links will do so. I have no clue how. But...perhaps I have begun to reassure you, there is NOTHING wrong with you. Nothing a little shopping for dolls and minis can't cure you of
  8. Hey Blondie, I posted on one of Ollie's pictures. Seriously, him on the footstool...everyone check it out. Too too funny.
  9. Every owl should be so spoiled Great stuff for his home. I have my eye on a 'painting' on ebay. I need to do more with accessories but for now I have some and just can't wait to get the structure finished! I am thinking it will be called 'Littlestone Cottage' (last years fling was 'Shinglestone Cottage') but am not sure if this little mouse and her baby want to live there. I think they want Grandma Mouse in the cottage
  10. Good one Kathie. Actually, it's more like my little Buttercup has control of things. I'm just along for the ride
  11. We spend a lot of time on the road. I enjoy finding fun license plates. This was todays gem. Yep. It made me smile
  12. Like I said...longer each year. Thank you Selkie! As always, you rock. I have a lot of fun planning for the fling. I make countless lists and descriptions of things I've been dreaming about making. Every year, I really love what I make, but I learn more about what I want to do next time. So now, I think about all those plans. Like, don't leave the front door until last And make a punch rug (years ago I made them all the time and sold them) I also try to learn something new every year. So I make lists of what I might try. I am hoping that this year, we get a half scale option, our deadline will be even farther out and they will allow 4 photos. And like I hear every year 'you can always bash it into half scale', NO. I don't want to fill a big building with half scale stuff. I want to fill a small building, as in half scale, with 1/2 &/or 1/4 scale. If it is a 1" scale and I can bash into a or a ;) I will do it. But, I want something small! Like my sweet little half scale Buttercup. Ok. That's my wish list.
  13. I'm so excited We stopped at Michael's, where I needed one color for the stones on the cottage. Right next to the color I wanted was a deep rose, kind of light wine color? I thought it might be just right for the cottage and bought it. Got home and there was a new ebay win in the mail. A rug I had no intention of using in the cottage, the same pink as I just bought and it looks good!
  14. I'm downloading flickr so I can see it. Thank you It's sure nice to see you here
  15. How exciting! Great job. I can't wait to see photos
  16. And every year it takes more than 12 months so maybe we are right on target! I discovered my little half scale Buttercup could hold my interest in the meantime. And maybe just maybe, planning a lighthouse
  17. Another 'this could be the day' gone by and no Fling. Dean, if you are reading this please don't mistake our good behavior for lack of interest. No doubt a whole bunch of us are at home, waiting anxiously. I sure am
  18. Welcome, Rebecca! There is nothing unusual about your entry into this world. Beware. It holds a VERY strong addiction. Fortunately, you have found the BEST place to treat your addiction. For sure, we will all treat you well and make sure you stay addicted All of my builds have stories. Some of my stories have builds planned. I hope you will share That is something I am working on myself. Have fun, Morgan
  19. I definitely think you're right Debora. Whether it's a bold color or whatever, I want my WICKED AWESOME DUTCH DOOR (thank you Kat) to stand out! I'll post another pic when I have the stones painted a bit. Maybe that will help.
  20. With the E6000, follow the directions well. Use a teeny tiny amount, both sides is how I use it. I made trophies for kids one year, about 20 years ago. The one we have here is still perfect. E6000 forms a truly permanent bond. It just takes a lil practice
  21. Ok, so I can't just attach a file. I have to crop a small piece out of a full photo. Hopefully this will show the interior colors well. The exterior is not done but will be a grey and tan stone. Now, my dilemma. I cannot decide on a front door color. A pink, green, blue or ??? The main trim is the aged white.
  22. Blondie, I LOVE Ollie's cabinet. Nice job!
  23. Well...I didn't get more photos posted but I did get part of the exterior done I had planned to wait until after the Fling to do the outside. Maybe not. I need to finish some of the stonework to figure out what color for the door. I may need help with the choice but hey I can post a photo!
  24. RV's, getting as much as possible in as small of a space as possible, and having it look GOOD is something I truly enjoy. Do you enjoy figuring out what you need and what is most economical and versatile in the long run? We are looking at putting a tiny bathroom, tiny kitchen and three twin beds (one as a bunk that becomes a cabinet when not in use) into a 13' trailer. Lightweight. Tow with a good mileage suv. We will organize extra stuff in and on the car in totes and a car pod when needed. Someday in the not too far off future, we plan to build an rv from scratch. For now, we are looking for a 50's or 60's model Canned Ham, or something similar. Many of those without bathrooms had a large closet that can be modified into a toilet/shower combo like in some rv's from the factory. Those increase in value a lot when remodeled. I figure I have to build a 1/2 scale or even 1/4 scale house to travel in our rv's. Something I haven't done yet